• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with the .bat file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, a lot of good stuff in here. I will go ahead and change some values and see what happens. HR at 514 is pretty slow but computer is very useable.
So far changing the thread concurrency to 4x2816 =11264, hash rate at 14, so that's a no go.
Changing the g from 1 to 2 is instant errors.
Going to try changing the I from 13 to 15 and see if there are any changes. Will edit.

Okay, so thread concurrency:

You should try 10240 (assuming your 290 has 2560 stream processors, this is 4x the number of sp), and compare the resulting hash rate to your current performance. Personally, I would drop the g and the w and compare the results, or you can leave them and compare... If you drop them, by setting thread_concurrency cgminer should pick optimal value for those settings itself. If you set G statically, that changes the optimal value for thread_concurrency however and it will likely yield worse performance from what I'm reading. Similar for w, let cgminer decide based on your setting for thread_concurrency, which is optimized to fit the number of stream processors on your card.

This is only based on reading, interested to hear your feedback on if it helps or hurts tour hashrate.
Ended up dropping the g and the W, they really seemed to make little difference at all. I guess the I is the important one as each notch up from 13 gives a higher has rate but it also seems to equal a shaky desktop after 16, still usable but a little squirrely like my cursor fading in and out. Using the guide posted by Luke1978 the optimal concurrency number ended up 30592, never saw that one anywhere. At I 17 I am getting about 620 hash but will probably drop to 16 so it can just go on in the background.

To sum it up, at least what I know so far, you just start with a simple scrip like:
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc.give-me-coins.com:3333 -u shadowdr.290x -p xxxx
enter the CG Miner folder and the .bin file will display the beginning thread concurrency after the tc in the file name. Set it at that and add 2048 to that number until it stalls. Drop back and leave it there, it configures everything else on it's own but you may be able to tweak those settings a littlte. As for the I- number, on most cards 13 is very high but for a 290 it is a good starting point, everyone that I have seen use 20 which is probably ok if you are not going to use your system, for me 16 seems to be the sweet spot as far as being able to do other things at the same time. the difference is 20 will run over 800 hash rate and 16 is around 600, at least for my 290, other cards will probably be different.

If you add switches or change switch numbers the program may not like it and stall. In this case you may need to delete the .bin file and restart the computer because once it hangs it may not be able to start again without doing so. Watch for CPU spikes, if you change anything and the CPU starts running one or more cores to do simple things like moving the mouse, go back.

In the end I found that just a simple script would do but I also want to use the computer at the same time it is running. This is what I ended up using as a bat file, at least for now, or until I can get better cooling or OC it.
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc.give-me-coins.com:3333 -u shadowdr.290x -p xxxx -I 16 --thread-concurrency 30592
Pretty simple yet effective for my use.

simple and effective :) glad you found the right spot for you shadow

on -I, actually 13 is low, its normally used only when you need lots of free GPU or when using dual threads (-g2)
-I 18-20 are for dedicated miners that don't do anything else :)

Found this on another site thread that explains the normal switches. One thing that I have found is that most information is pre r9 GPU's, so experimentation is going to be necessary as most of the posted bat files are either ok or uneconomical in the sense that a lower hash rate may actually be more productive than a higher one that has rejected work.

Useful optional parameters to set are:

-g ~ Number of threads to use. Sometimes 2 is faster than 1.
--shaders ~ Set to the gpu's amount of shaders, google "gpu name shaders".
--thread-concurrency ~ Better version of --shaders, should be a multiple of the gpus shader count.
-w ~ Work size (try 64, 128, 182 or 256 (maximum).
-I ~ Intensity (12 generally works best). High Intensities can slow down hashrates .

Work size doesn't seem right, that may be dated. -w 512 is reported by some with good hash rates, so it either helps or doesn't hurt much. Dunno which.

I was at 512 for a bit with the 270X, but ultimately it was too much of a hit on performance to leave it there.

Anyone else use cgwatcher, or am I the only one? So all of my settings go in a cgminer.conf file and if the miner goes stale cgwatcher automatically restarts. This is real handy if you're a hashco.ws user which has a tendency to drop connection when it switches coins.

Work size at minimum for anything R9 would be 256, older cards maybe 128. this CAN make a huge different. For thread-concurrency you are supposed to not use this setting, then use whatever setting it creates in the bin file the first time you fire it up.

But honestly, it's far faster to google your type of card and see what other people are using, the amount of THAT data on the internet is vast.

Anyone else use cgwatcher, or am I the only one? So all of my settings go in a cgminer.conf file and if the miner goes stale cgwatcher automatically restarts. This is real handy if you're a hashco.ws user which has a tendency to drop connection when it switches coins.

Work size at minimum for anything R9 would be 256, older cards maybe 128. this CAN make a huge different. For thread-concurrency you are supposed to not use this setting, then use whatever setting it creates in the bin file the first time you fire it up.

But honestly, it's far faster to google your type of card and see what other people are using, the amount of THAT data on the internet is vast.

Haven't even heard of CGwatcher yet.

I tried 512 and 128 but neither seemed to suit what the bin file crated on it's own. Will give 256 a shot when I have more time. I did get the thread concurrency from the bin file after it was created with a minimal bat file.

Only problem with 290's is there is not enough info out yet and it appears that most have copied off of the few that are out because most all of them have the same bat file. The settings are probably ok for a dedicated rig but I like using mine while it is running and it is not OC'ed like many on the net. I read through one of the readme's inside the folder and it did state that it was designed to go by the temp reading and adjust itself to run in the background and not effect the desktop usability, so if is your goal a minimal bat file is suggested. It seems to change the difficulty rate on the fly and while a 600 hash rate isn't great it does spike up to 800 at times. It looks like I would get at least one coin a day if only running in the background.

What I would do is get your cgminer set to get a solid 800s for I20 and then when you need to use the computer drop the intensity to 13-14, I believe that should make it plenty useable.

What I would do is get your cgminer set to get a solid 800s for I20 and then when you need to use the computer drop the intensity to 13-14, I believe that should make it plenty useable.

Yes, probably later but it is also a reference card and I don't really want to overstress it before I am able to find good aftermarket cooling and most of the best one's are still out of stock. As it stands now the fan runs at close to 100% whenever the GPU is at 100% to keep it from throttling and it still gats pretty hot. I don't think that it would last very long running it full out even most of the time, plus it is very loud and annoying to be in the same room with it trying to watch TV or talk. Maybe soon though.

sadly some coolers arent cut out for this, is it a reference design ?

Some of my double d xfx 7970s only run at i12 otherwise they overheat(100c+) and cause the rig to shutdown
:bang head

fun deal ...
i have my maxtemp set to 85, it drops I if it hits that, at least that way it keeps running, though i hate when it happens
high end cards are meant to produce heat, its unfortunate that manufcs assume gamers wont game as -I as we :D

sadly some coolers arent cut out for this, is it a reference design ?

Yes it is. I have been looking into a hybrid or maybe the Kraken G10 but they are not in stock anywhere that I can find, I would really like something made for it instead of just compatible.

ok as promised i tested the thread conc tweaking guide posted earlier and sadly my findings point towards a far finer tweaking needed or a simple word of mouth solution

for ex: 5830 has a default tc of 6016, if you add 2048 = 8064 and it does 266khs, while with a tc of 8000 it does the highest ive ever seen anywhere - 291khs
for the 5870 it generally seems to care none, about same 400 no matter what tc :D i gotta mess that card up, i wanted at least 410 to close the gap and make the machine 700khs

edit: didnt take long, made the 5870 do 411khs by raising the core to 875, note core at 900 does worse, tc again irrelevant, i mean in the 8k range, of course 6k tc would drop perf, note I18 and I19 same results, these older 5 series dont care for i19 much

Last edited:
Back