• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with the .bat file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

Like the title states I can't seem to get the bat file working. I had 1 that worked that I copied from another thread but it ran at 14.5 hash rate and after several hours my wallet was still empty, still is. I am running a an XFX 290 at stock clocks in CG miner 3.7.2 in the US. I tried copying from the forums at the litecoin forum but I noticed that it had an eu address but after the initial run all that I try to create just open and close the window. Any help would be appreciated.

You'll need to add a set of options to your cgminer.exe call, you can find what other people have used here. Scroll down to your card and look in the 'config' column, and paste those options after your username/password in the batch file.

As an example for your card:
Code:
cgminer.exe [...] -u USER.WORKER -p PASS -I 20 -g 1 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 35960

You'll want to tweak the settings to get the optimal hashrate, but this should get you started.

What pool did you sign up with? If it is give-me-coins you can see on the portal page how much you have earned. As for your wallet being empty - whatever pool you signed up with you have to enter your Public Wallet key under the settings page and set a payout option. Give-me-coins allows you to payout after 0.10 LTC for free and will auto deposit.

If it worked before and doesn't now, delete the .bin files in the CGMiner program, reboot the system, then try again. On both my main and primary office rig, if I make any little changes at all to the batch file without at least doing the reboot, my hashrate does that same thing.

Very rarely will they take the changes and hash properly from the get-go.

If it worked before and doesn't now, delete the .bin files in the CGMiner program, reboot the system, then try again. On both my main and primary office rig, if I make any little changes at all to the batch file without at least doing the reboot, my hashrate does that same thing.

Very rarely will they take the changes and hash properly from the get-go.

Good info! That may explain why I've been having to logout or restart often when adjusting cgminer settings.

Should mention bin file deletion is most helpful when swapping in new cards, as those are the CGMiner created files that contain the hardware info, but I often clean them out of there anyway whenever I make changes to engine and memory clocks, just in case. This makes CGMiner rebuild them.

I figure it can't hurt ;)

Ok trying to use this
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc.give-me-coins.com:3333 -u shadowdr.290x

-p xxxx --thread-concurrency 32764 -I 20 -g 4 -w 256 ---gpu-engine 1000 --gpu-

memclock 1250 --auto-fan ---gpu-fan 60-75

Complete fail, but I tried deleting everything after the 256 and it did startup but got error -4 GPU failure. So it must be in the script somewhere, I copied and pasted from the litecoin forum that was supposed to work on the same card.

Oh yes thanks for the .bin file deletion it was the only way to get it to start at all. I may have even had it right before without knowing on one of the many attempts at starting the bat file.

What pool did you sign up with? If it is give-me-coins you can see on the portal page how much you have earned. As for your wallet being empty - whatever pool you signed up with you have to enter your Public Wallet key under the settings page and set a payout option. Give-me-coins allows you to payout after 0.10 LTC for free and will auto deposit.

It is give me coins, I think that I only entered my user and pass instead of user.worker pass in the first script, so the pool got some free coins, lol.

Ok trying to use this
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://ltc.give-me-coins.com:3333 -u shadowdr.290x

-p xxxx --thread-concurrency 32764 -I 20 -g 4 -w 256 ---gpu-engine 1000 --gpu-

memclock 1250 --auto-fan ---gpu-fan 60-75

Complete fail, but I tried deleting everything after the 256 and it did startup but got error -4 GPU failure. So it must be in the script somewhere, I copied and pasted from the litecoin forum that was supposed to work on the same card.

Oh yes thanks for the .bin file deletion it was the only way to get it to start at all. I may have even had it right before without knowing on one of the many attempts at starting the bat file.

Somewhere I read about them having issues with performance on XFX and HIS cards mining.
Not sure if it matters but every example I've seen has the thread concurrency after the rest.
Code:
-I 20 -g 4 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 32764

Finally got it to using this:

-p xxxx -I 20 -g 1 --thread-concurrency 32765

It didn't work out to well however. It was running a hash rate average of 796 but was also using the CPU at least as much as the GPU both jumping around 30% most of the time? Weird, the computer became almost unresponsive with the mouse moving in big jerks. Would lowering the 20 to a less value or the thread concurrency stress the system less? Looks like this might take some time to figure out.

*Edit* Ok lowering the I- 20 to 13 lowered the difficulty to 128 from 256, so now I can leave it on in the background and use my computer for other things at the same time. It did lower the HR average to around 540 so maybe there is still more room to raise it a little at a time but still have a usable desktop.

Last edited:
I think 10 is the normal I value, higher you go above that the more it will effect the feel of the system.

I would double check the thread concurrency number. That can be determined by the specs of your card, it either matches a value in the specs or it is a number in the specs times another number - this is documented if you look around, and it really helps ensure you get optimal performance customized to your card. I am on my phone, so if you don't confirm it in this thread, I will post back later with the exact value once I can Google and figure it out for your card.

Intensity and thread concurrency are the most important settings. They tell it how to use your card and how hard to use your card.

I don't remember what the g is for? I know a couple settings are overruled by thread concurrency, and it may be one of them which would make it unnecessary. Not sure if that's g or something else though without referencing documentation.

Location of thread concurrency is arbitrary, it can go before or after other switches. (Luke mentioned he wasn't sure if location matters in the switches)

I think the g is the gap? I have mine set to 2 and w set to 512.

quick tip if you still want a responsive desktop, run the desktop/os on the onboard and just have the videocard mining. That's what I've been doing the last few days, granted I haven't used the PC for much, but at least moving between folders and loading chrome wasn't a chore.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that G is the number of threads used. I would assume 290 wants 2 threads.
edit:
went and checked out a few places, heres a couple things you might want to try, see what works for your card.
-I 20 -g 1 -w 512 --thread-concurrency 24550
-I 19 -g 1 -w 512 --thread-concurrency 32765
-I 20 -g 1 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 35960
-I 20 -g 2 --thread-concurrency 20480

Last edited:
Weird, the computer became almost unresponsive with the mouse moving in big jerks.

High intensities tend to do that. My 6870 becomes unusable with anything over 17, but it's the only way to get it to hash fast enough to matter.

The 270X on the other hand is still quite useable up to I-19. But if I want to watch any video at all, I have to go down to I-13 which drops hashrate to about 350 IIRC.

High intensities tend to do that. My 6870 becomes unusable with anything over 17, but it's the only way to get it to hash fast enough to matter.

The 270X on the other hand is still quite useable up to I-19. But if I want to watch any video at all, I have to go down to I-13 which drops hashrate to about 350 IIRC.

280x is good for that. anything over i-13 kills hashrates!

That's odd... My 6850 runs rock stable with intensity 19....

I use work size 64:

--thread-concurrency 6144 -w 64 -I 19

Okay, so thread concurrency:

You should try 10240 (assuming your 290 has 2560 stream processors, this is 4x the number of sp), and compare the resulting hash rate to your current performance. Personally, I would drop the g and the w and compare the results, or you can leave them and compare... If you drop them, by setting thread_concurrency cgminer should pick optimal value for those settings itself. If you set G statically, that changes the optimal value for thread_concurrency however and it will likely yield worse performance from what I'm reading. Similar for w, let cgminer decide based on your setting for thread_concurrency, which is optimized to fit the number of stream processors on your card.

This is only based on reading, interested to hear your feedback on if it helps or hurts tour hashrate.

Back