• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cryptocurrency caretaker nominees

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
As this is a new section, and relatively active, we are going to try something here we don't normally do. We are creating a caretaker position - currently all mods are global mods, so there is no current example for a caretaker. The new caretaker will act as an example for us all, and ideally they will help us to realize through experience how a caretaker can be beneficial.

This thread is for those active in this cryptocurrency section to nominate caretakers, submit yourself and/or someone else as a nominee.

These are the traits that will help this section grow, and that we should look for in a nominee:

- intrigued/passionate about cryptocurrency (spends a few hours a week in this section)
- independently motivated (if members say "someone should", that is all this person needs to get started - this person wants to be that "someone")
- a sense of logic and organization (the caretaker is like a museum curator - their job is to recognize what is important to those visiting the cryptocurrency sub forum, and help organize key facts and information for others)

We need the caretaker to take the lead with understanding this sections needs, and ensuring its organized in such a way to be most helpful to everyone taking part. Basically, anytime a member in this section says "somone should" the caretaker will be that someone. Compared to moderators, they deal with conflicts enforcing the rules - problems and rules are not the caretakers problem, so they can just focus on being a positive supportive part of this section.

Now please nominate yourself or others. Doesn't matter if others are interested in taking the role - I will figure that out later. Just suggest who you think is good, and I will take care of the rest to get this going.

Knowledge on the subject also helps. Can't have the blind lead the blind. ;)

Welcome back Matt and thanks for trying to round up the cattle. :)

Last edited:
I have been a caretaker on forums since i was 16/17, but that was small forums. I do not wish to even consider such a role here, and i highly doubt anyone would want me to be anyway:D

I see the most active users in this section as Silver_Pharaoh and ZL1, but whether they should be given limited powers, I am not one to say.

But I will say that highly active members suck as Silver_Pharaoh, ZL1 and Earthdog are commonly a good start for caretakers for single section of a large forum, as they tend to read most threads/posts, and keep a close eye on activity without having any responsibility.

You must start small, who knows, this could be the start of making small time users into Highly Feared Users with a Ban Hammer! (I know they wont have banning power to start with)

On a fairly serious note, I think one from each side of the world would be a good idea!

Last edited:
Knowledge on the subject also helps. Can't have the blind lead the blind. ;)

Welcome back Matt and thanks for trying to round up the cattle. :)

I disagree, but I understand your view.

Caretaker doesn't have to be an expert, he should have a solid understanding of the basics. Extra knowledge is a bonus. Most important, as this is a community, is for the caretaker to know his/her own limits of their cryptocurrency knowledge - so they express facts as such, opinions as such, and for things they don't know they consult the subforum to identify a consensus then they quote or paraphrase that consensus in the stickies.

The single greatest benefit of a community like this is that we don't all have to be experts, so long as others around tend to know some thing we don't, by everyone pitching in we all get closer to expertise. Of course it helps if we have some exceptional knowledge folks running around, but more important is a positive momentum of information sharing that ensures we are helping each other grow.

Well, part of my concern in looking around the original thread and now the section is a lot of guessing and back peddling. This is new...ish, so not many will have the knowledge but there are a couple I would like to see assert themselves in the role.

Mr. Alpha seems to show solid fundamentals on the subject and will not guess and then backpeddle once corrected. A museum curator knows what is going in in his museum... May not know everything, but is a true leader on whatever is in the museum. :)

I won't try to explain why you are wrong. You are just wrong. :-D

Kidding. :) I will keep that in mind when looking at the nominees. Would be great if enough people chime in here that the decision is clear for me and it isn't left to my judgment.

But if it is left to my judgment, then the other soft skills it takes to be effective in this role may outweigh expertise. After all, this section is more like a zoo than a museum. :) (I know, I know, zookeepers are experts too lol) Really we need someone motivated enough to get after it, and the right internal motivations being in place are what makes the difference for success and failure in these types of roles (mods, editors, etc).

I haven't picked on Thideras lately. I wanted him to be a mod for years, but there was a sense of apprehension that he wouldn't rate limit himself - he was so prolific in his activity, but didn't know anything about how we moderate, our policies, and so forth - he could have been the worst thing to happen around here. But his heart was right and I knew that, and he was logical, so basing his actions off what little he knew and more so off of how those who knew more acted, he has been a tremendous success as a mod. He wasn't brought on because he was an expert mod, but he had the right traits.

All we need is a caretaker with the right traits and motivation. They can add what others know to what they know and be effective.

Last edited:
Lol, I hear you and agree for the most part. I just hope (and insist) the jack Hanna that is picked knows enough about the animals to not stick a lion in the same cage as an antelope...his heart may be in the right place, but not sure my kids would want to see that massacre. :p

Ok, ok, **** poor analogy, but had to go along with the museum/zoo thing. :)

Cant wait to see the choice and outcome!

whew, glad im a noob :)

EarthDog on the other hand... ;)

earthdog / silver / zl1 / eagle scout / or ivan these seem to be very active members here and there experience in my eyes is a great asset to have

i would nominate myself but my lack of knowledge will most likely render me useless as a caretaker altho im jobless and really have nothing else better to do lmfao maybe a co-caretaker but that would be all im willing to try but only on a trail basis!!!

I live on the Cryptocurrency sub-forum, but ZL1 and Ivanlabrie both know more than me.

That said, experience is a bonus...

I vote for ZL1 or Ivanlabrie.

Well people have to be nominated first before you can make a poll. No point starting a poll before all nominations are in. ;)

i nominate mbently ;)

jk ZL1, Ivan, or the blue guy with the football player from ohio dude.

Back