• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote cold reboot tool with dynamic ip and router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Hi, I'm building a mining farm comprised of 30 rigs, using an isp that gives me a dynamic ip, and a router, with which I can't do port forwarding (it seems)

Was thinking of running teamviewer on a server pc and then have the miners remotely managed from inside the network with it.

Can I use AMD Dash or Intel AMT for this task? My main concern is remotely rebooting hung pc's, which is a PITA right now and involves sending someone to hit the power button.

No, I don't want a raspberry pi, nor an arduino. Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

BUMP!

Maybe use the watchdog timer somehow?

Or a raspberry pi + relay switch?

Can I ssh reboot a linux rig if X server hangs? How probable is it that the console hangs too if the video driver crashes?

Seems to me that if you're going to invest in 30 mining rigs, you'd invest in a reliable way to manage them remotely. I don't know anything about AMD Dash or Intel AMT, but I came here and was going to suggest an arduino. Physically switching the power to each rig will be the only 100% reliable way to get them to reboot in all situations. I'm sure there are software options available, but I don't know about any. You can issue remote reboot commands, but if the server is actually hung then it probably wouldn't do you any good.

Another option would be to schedule reboots in the task scheduler or cron every couple days. You'll lose a few minutes of mining time for each server, but it would probably reduce the risk of your machines taking a dump on you.

I was thinking of using Debian, and configuring a cold reboot in case of kernel panic, I hear that's doable.

Thoughts?

I'll research pfsense.

I think I might need a dedicated server as a means to reach the rigs inside the network, each with a fixed ip, right? Isp won't give me a fixed ip.

Whatever route you end up going, you'll need some sort of device that can talk to all of the machines you want control over. I would think that a PFSense box could get expensive, if you wanted to connect all 30 rigs to it.

I'd put something like an arduino or raspberry pi on the network and either use that to physically switch your machines on and off, or use it to issue reboot commands. Though if the PC is hung or at a kernel panic, you'll probably lose network connectivity and won't be able to get anywhere just issuing the commands.

Hmmm, I'll have to live with a server hooked up to the exterior, and ssh from the server into the individual machines to reboot if the x server crashes. I was told by a mining farm manager guy I know that it's the easiest way to deal with that. He's running 80 3 gpu rigs right now.
Only problem is dealing with the dynamic ip the isp's give me. Getting a fixed ip would be too expensive right now, maybe later on. I'm gonna have to rely on teamviewer, which isn't the best really.

Whatever route you end up going, you'll need some sort of device that can talk to all of the machines you want control over. I would think that a PFSense box could get expensive, if you wanted to connect all 30 rigs to it.

I'd put something like an arduino or raspberry pi on the network and either use that to physically switch your machines on and off, or use it to issue reboot commands. Though if the PC is hung or at a kernel panic, you'll probably lose network connectivity and won't be able to get anywhere just issuing the commands.

PFsense will run on almost everything short of a toaster.

Decided to get a router and a switch, set a fixed internal lan ip to each rig and forward those using a port like say 2221 2222 2223, etc.
Then run dnsexit.com's dynamic ip dns client thingie, and ssh through the domain I created with them to each of the rigs changing ports.
What do you guys think?

(isp gives me a dynamic ip, and can't get a fixed one, can't find a pdu for little $$$ and arduino is too much. I'm guessing linux kernel won't crash so easily and if it does debian should auto cold reboot with the distro I plan to use)

Yeah, but wouldn't he have to have 30 NICs in it?

Nope 2 minimum. WAN + LAN. Everything else can be handled by the switch(es). 1-2x 24-48 port switches managed or not will handle all traffic.

My PFsense box has a static list of over 40 systems currently and can easily handle more. I intend to rebuild it and upgrade the capability eventually.

Nope 2 minimum. WAN + LAN. Everything else can be handled by the switch(es). 1-2x 24-48 port switches managed or not will handle all traffic.

My PFsense box has a static list of over 40 systems currently and can easily handle more. I intend to rebuild it and upgrade the capability eventually.

+1

Although I migrated DHCP from my pfSense to a 2008R2 server, I had no issues with using DHCP from pfSense.

I've done some reading on the subject and it seems a bit more complicated than I'm willing to try. I don't need so much security really, won't have wallet files on the machines, just compute tasks running all day. It's a mining farm.
What do you guys think about the dynamic ip thing? Created a dns at dnsexit.com and will have their client running on all pc's to constantly refresh the ip's.
Then port forward port 22 on all machines to port 2201 (port 22 on rig 1) and so on...thoughts?

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression that the whole purpose of PFsense was to replace a switch and expand its functionality.

Back