• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will new games still be available for PS4 and Xbox 360?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I've never really followed the console world, but what happens to older consoles once the newer ones come out? Since the new consoles are x86 and the older consoles weren't (I think the 360 and PS3 were cell processors), they would have to port new titles to the older consoles and their more limited performance envelope. How long was it before the PS2 and Xbox owners were completely orphaned by gaming publishers once the PS3 and 360 came out?

I don't think it will be. I don't believe there are any first party games to come out for at least the PS3, unsure about the 360. The big multiplatform games (cod, FIFA, madden) probably have one year left on the old consoles, simply because of the huge install base. They would be throwing money away if they only target the few million owners of the new consoles and ignore the 70+ million that own last gen ones.

I don't think it will be. I don't believe there are any first party games to come out for at least the PS3, unsure about the 360. The big multiplatform games (cod, FIFA, madden) probably have one year left on the old consoles, simply because of the huge install base. They would be throwing money away if they only target the few million owners of the new consoles and ignore the 70+ million that own last gen ones.

I think you're wrong. :)

The installed user base of the PS4 and Xbox one is infantasmal compared to that of the PS3 and 360. First month sales notwithstanding... there's something like 10-100 times more PS3s and 360s out there. Of COURSE all the new first party titles will be developed for the new systems to try to lure new customers... but it'll be at least TWO years before either new system has even a half-way respectable library of games.

So I'd say you're way... WAY off.

There will be 3rd party games of the highest quality released for at least the next 3-4 years. You have to remember that even God of War (*cough* First Party Game*cough*) was invented AFTER the PS3 launched and was released for PS2. As were Okami, Odin Sphere, and a bunch of games that were so great they later had HD releases on PS3.

Looks like we will just have to see then ;)

I could see some franchises staying for an additional year, but I imagine the number of games developed for previous gen systems will be very small. We will have an idea come E3 and such as to what system(s) the games are being developed for. As I said, I can imagine the annual release games (madden/cod/etc) to stick around for an additional year or two, but I expect most new games to come out for XB1/PS4 after this year.

Few games in development will cross between the last gen and next gen platforms. But... it will dwindle down probably starting in 2015 and be on a steady decline. Why? Because companies do not want to design for 2 vastly different platforms because its costly in time... Money sure they will probably make it back for the first few years but after that if they are designing something, its an either or senerio.

Did MS's planned backwards compatibility for Xbox games in Xbox 360 ever pan out as planned? I'm gathering there aren't any promises of backwards compatibility for the 360 <--- Xbone?

No, there was very little backwards compatibility from 360 to original Xbox. There is no BC on the XB1.

PS4 will have the 'Play Now' service that will stream older games over the internet, but god knows how effective that will be due to network latency and such.

Yeah there was a handful of games that worked from Xbox to X360. Even then they terminated that after 1-2 years of the X360 being out.

I don't expect them to support older games on new hardware. I don't. The systems change too much between generations. The way that the console environment is, its this specs... that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

These types of things are why I stopped buying consoles many, many years ago to be honest.

*shrug*

Just my two cents.

What kinds of things? Backwards compatibility? The consoles were out 8 years. If someone didn't buy the console in that time frame or didn't play through their library yet they can leave the old one plugged in until they finish.

The consoles were out 8 years.

Not many people seem to know that... I've been shopping around for a used one to play Gran Turismo on and people seem to think they're selling a giant gold brick.

They are supposed to be $250 brand new bundled with a game and accessories, and people are selling them for $200+ USED. Ridiculous for an 8 year old turd.

Not many people seem to know that... I've been shopping around for a used one to play Gran Turismo on and people seem to think they're selling a giant gold brick.

They are supposed to be $250 brand new bundled with a game and accessories, and people are selling them for $200+ USED. Ridiculous for an 8 year old turd.

Chances are pretty good that the system's they're selling are NOT 8 years old. (Unless it's a 60gb PS3... which is probably worth 200 bucks used.)

At this point, there's almost no difference, in terms of quality, between a PS3/PS4 and an Xbox 360/Xbox One. And of course the PS3/Xbox 360 have the VASTLY superior libraries.

The two systems have only been out two or three months, and the old ones don't just "Automatically" become obsolete when the new ones come out.

You can still play the latest COD, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, GT 6, and almost everything else on the "last generation" systems. And that's because that generation is far from over.

As I said before, we're looking at at least another year and-a-half before the new systems have anything that could even charitably be called a "library" of games.

Back