• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nvidia is profitable to mine on currently - scrypt-jane, cudaminer, and yacoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man, I really wish there was a benching program for this stuff. Like, one that can be used "competitively". Benching for average hash rates would be a blast.

I've got my 7850 up to 4khash 4.2khash average now, the 5s will hop up around 4.3-4.4 4.4-4.6 but the average can't quite hang up there. Think I'm gonna switch the 560 back to scrypt. It's not fun to tweak. :p

How the **** did you get yacminer 2 to run on a Radeon??

I tried low intensity, --lookup-gap 1,2 even 3! -g 1 -g 2 -w 256......

I can't get over -I10 and over 2 Kh on my 270x without HW errors :bang head
Is there some new miner? I thought I read that someone implemented Kalroth's miner into yacminer?

How about this: Is it worth mining yac on my 270x or 6850? If it's not, then I'll stick with VTC. :)

Ask for help at the cudaminer thread...as for that 7850! Dam, it's real good :D (r7 240 4gb's are still way more efficient...2.8kh/s - 25w -> almost like a yacoin FPGA lol)

I haven't been able to test actual wattage but if the current measurement in GPUz is remotely accurate then I'm drawing under 100w, maybe closer to 75w. The 240 is one of the cards that should be here in a week, I'm looking forward to playing with it. :)

How the **** did you get yacminer 2 to run on a Radeon??

I tried low intensity, --lookup-gap 1,2 even 3! -g 1 -g 2 -w 256......

I can't get over -I10 and over 2 Kh on my 270x without HW errors :bang head
Is there some new miner? I thought I read that someone implemented Kalroth's miner into yacminer?

How about this: Is it worth mining yac on my 270x or 6850? If it's not, then I'll stick with VTC. :)

No use using -I with yacminer, you've gotta make super fine adjustments to the intensity to get the best hash rate. Start with --rawintensity 512 or 256, something low and stable, and get your TC as high as possible.

For your TC, open GPUz and look at the memory usage. You want to get dedicated as high as possible. If you are using more than one thread, when you go too high you'll have one thread loaded in dedicated and one in "dynamic", for me it'll be something like 2050mb in dedi and 1850 in dyna. You do have to give it a min or so, sometimes it'll load in. Usually with lower intensities you won't have to wait too long though. It doesn't help that mining like this makes the desktop almost unusable.

Now, -g is threads, so every time you increase -g you have to divide your TC by the number of threads. -g 2 TC 2000 is -g 1 TC 1000, -g 3 is TC 666 roughly. Lookup gap changes the amount of buffer you get for your TC. I can run roughly TC 29600 gap 2, but at gap 1 I have to run closer to TC 14800. At gap 3 I run closer to 44400 TC. This isn't exact so you'll have to play with it a bit to get the most ram usage. The only thing --buffer-size is useful for is crashing the graphics driver. Sometimes that's useful to flush things out of the buffer, but otherwise I don't mess with it.

Now, I don't believe that having a different TC makes that much of a difference in hash speeds, but rather having a larger buffer helps you run higher intensity. Intensity is what gets you the hash rates, TC just helps intensity.

So then you want to start messing with rI. I'd start with threads and gaps at 2 and feel out your TC at a low rI, then change rI from inside console (G>A>[rI #]) in increments of 128 or so at first. Keep going up and give it a min or two to spit out some shares before adjusting it more. Once you start getting HW errors then back it down by 8s or 16s until you find what works. Then after all of that, repeat it for different thread and lookup gaps. Again, I get best rates at 2 threads and a lookup gap of 2, but it might be differnet for you.

Finally, if you haven't already, OC your card. YACoin runs cooler and draws less power, and it makes it easy to OC. Core speed seems to make more of a difference than mem for me. You should be running well over normal stable scrypt/furmark speeds.

-w 256 seems to drop my hash rates by a bit if anything. 64 or 128 seems to be ideal for me, but it doesn't make a large difference.

As for if the cards are worth using or not, that's up to you. From the exchanges I've seen YAC is kinda underpriced for mining, but it's enough fun to tweak that I'll keep mining it for a while. YAC seems to love ram, so if those cards have 2gb or more then they should be worth trying at least. Even if it's a 1gb it might be worth trying to report back here about. :salute:

TL;DR use --rawintensity and play with your settings for max RAM use. TC = intensity, intensity = hash rate. Also OC the heck out of your card.

EDIT: Oh and this is the miner I'm using:

As for yacminer, use the latest version by thirtybird, includes kalroth's mods to cgminer, the trick is high TC, defined buffer_size and high raw intensity without hw.
Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=247782.msg4864935#msg4864935

Last edited:
I haven't been able to test actual wattage but if the current measurement in GPUz is remotely accurate then I'm drawing under 100w, maybe closer to 75w. The 240 is one of the cards that should be here in a week, I'm looking forward to playing with it. :)

No use using -I with yacminer, you've gotta make super fine adjustments to the intensity to get the best hash rate. Start with --rawintensity 512 or 256, something low and stable, and get your TC as high as possible.

For your TC, open GPUz and look at the memory usage. You want to get dedicated as high as possible. If you are using more than one thread, when you go too high you'll have one thread loaded in dedicated and one in "dynamic", for me it'll be something like 2050mb in dedi and 1850 in dyna. You do have to give it a min or so, sometimes it'll load in. Usually with lower intensities you won't have to wait too long though. It doesn't help that mining like this makes the desktop almost unusable.

Now, -g is threads, so every time you increase -g you have to divide your TC by the number of threads. -g 2 TC 1000 is -g 1 TC 2000, -g 3 is TC 666 roughly. Lookup gap changes the amount of buffer you get for your TC. I can run roughly TC 29600 gap 2, but at gap 1 I have to run closer to TC 14800. At gap 3 I run closer to 44400 TC. This isn't exact so you'll have to play with it a bit to get the most ram usage. The only thing --buffer-size is useful for is crashing the graphics driver. Sometimes that's useful to flush things out of the buffer, but otherwise I don't mess with it.

Now, I don't believe that having a different TC makes that much of a difference in hash speeds, but rather having a larger buffer helps you run higher intensity. Intensity is what gets you the hash rates, TC just helps intensity.

So then you want to start messing with rI. I'd start with threads and gaps at 2 and feel out your TC at a low rI, then change rI from inside console (G>A>[rI #]) in increments of 128 or so at first. Keep going up and give it a min or two to spit out some shares before adjusting it more. Once you start getting HW errors then back it down by 8s or 16s until you find what works. Then after all of that, repeat it for different thread and lookup gaps. Again, I get best rates at 2 threads and a lookup gap of 2, but it might be differnet for you.

Finally, if you haven't already, OC your card. YACoin runs cooler and draws less power, and it makes it easy to OC. Core speed seems to make more of a difference than mem for me. You should be running well over normal stable scrypt/furmark speeds.

-w 256 seems to drop my hash rates by a bit if anything. 64 or 128 seems to be ideal for me, but it doesn't make a large difference.

As for if the cards are worth using or not, that's up to you. From the exchanges I've seen YAC is kinda underpriced for mining, but it's enough fun to tweak that I'll keep mining it for a while. YAC seems to love ram, so if those cards have 2gb or more then they should be worth trying at least. Even if it's a 1gb it might be worth trying to report back here about. :salute:

TL;DR use --rawintensity and play with your settings for max RAM use. TC = intensity, intensity = hash rate. Also OC the heck out of your card.

EDIT: Oh and this is the miner I'm using:

*gulp*
Woah, large post :p

I might stick with VTC or whatever just because YAC is a pain to setup and the lower end cards do better than the cards I have.

Thanks for the post though, I'm going to copy that and save it as a .txt for the day I do get a good YAC card :D

:thup: Thanks!

I think the tl;dr sums it up well.

I don't even know what I should be mining now. YAC is fun but low returns, MAX seems like it's all about selling at the right price more than mining and everything else feels like I don't have enough GPU power to make any money or a big mess to figure out.

Ooops had some numbers wrong, fixed that.

Mine microcoin...and/or yac. Either that or ultracoin.
What's your maxcoin hashrate? max went up a lot today, but diff is higher too.

I switched from yac to max cause I can get 203mh/s out of my 780 but I'm switching to 4 r7 240 2gb cards tomorrow, cause of the heat...I'll run the 780 in the top slot as my gaming card and mine 24/7 on the 4 r7 240s in the remaining slots (x79-ud3)

I can solo mine microcoin/yac with 14kh/s hmmm (5.04 from the 780 plus 2.2-2.4 from each 240)

When the time comes that I have to return the 780 I'll just run 240 quadfire if that's possible lol

Attempting to try out YAC mining here on the GTX 760, I can't get it to mine on any kernel config, only way it runs is if I do autotune... Weird. I tried even using the same kernel config that autotune used, and still it hates me.

I'm just trying to figure out what a good hashrate is for the 760 on YAC (I've heard 2.7-3.1 from what I could read), but so far I'm not even getting 1kh/s.

Attempting to try out YAC mining here on the GTX 760, I can't get it to mine on any kernel config, only way it runs is if I do autotune... Weird. I tried even using the same kernel config that autotune used, and still it hates me.

I'm just trying to figure out what a good hashrate is for the 760 on YAC (I've heard 2.7-3.1 from what I could read), but so far I'm not even getting 1kh/s.

Don't worry, tuning YAC mining is a pain :p
I hardly got 2 Kh out of my 270x, I usually got a boat load of HW errors. ;)

Experiment with warp count and match the number of smx like this (try to fill as much vram as possible, dedicated vram in gpuz): -i 0 k6x10 -H 2 -C 2 -b 8192 -m 1

FTFY :)

Maybe I'll try and set that 560 up for vert later...

Mine altcoin: http://alt.coinpoolr.us/

I am in better shape now, I had to reboot as clocks weren't applying properly.

Max sustainable KH/s I've gotten so far with YAC is 3.35KH/s @1320/1500 GTX 760 DCU2.

What I've learned so far is that mining YAC on cudaminer really pisses off the drivers when you screw up the launch config. It keeps dropping to 2D clocks on me, and the only way that I've found to get back to 3D clocks is a reboot. So far k60x2 is getting me the best hashrates for this card.

Max sustainable KH/s I've gotten so far with YAC is 3.35KH/s @1320/1500 GTX 760 DCU2.

What I've learned so far is that mining YAC on cudaminer really pisses off the drivers when you screw up the launch config. It keeps dropping to 2D clocks on me, and the only way that I've found to get back to 3D clocks is a reboot. So far k60x2 is getting me the best hashrates for this card.

What driver version are you using? I don't have any pesky driver issues with 320.x on my (different) card.

Get nvidiainspector, make a shortcut with this option:
nvidiaInspector.exe -restartDisplayDriver

That restarts the drivers, so you need not reboot to fix 2d clocks anymore :D

Experiment with warp count and match the number of smx like this (try to fill as much vram as possible, dedicated vram in gpuz): -i 0 k6x10 -H 2 -C 2 -b 8192 -m 1

On scrypt mining, my best config is k6x32 - the GTX 760 has 6 SMX units. On scrypt-jane mining, k6x32 crashes cudaminer yielding a flurry of "does not validate on CPU".

So far for scrypt-jane mining, it looks like K6x20, k60x2, and k61x2 are my leading candidates. It's a 2GB card, and each of those configs gets me in the 2020 MB of vram usage (this seems to vary depending on which time I launch cudaminer). All these configs get me to around 3.35KH/s, with enough variance that I can't tell by looking over a few minutes which is actually better.

So I can get to 3.35KH/s with k6x20 or k60x2 or k61x2, but I don't understand why at all. vRam usage varies per each launch it seems like, but generally they are all around 2020 MB. Using 2D texture cache for any of these brings the flurry of does not validate.

Setting different -L or -l or -C options also change the amount of RAM usage, and effect whether or not cudaminer will actually run or not. For instance, with -L 4 I can run -C 2 at -l settings that it would crash if I used -L 2. Figuring this stuff out is a mess, but I really think 3.35KH/s is about tops for this card at these clocks.

On scrypt mining, my best config is k6x32 - the GTX 760 has 6 SMX units. On scrypt-jane mining, k6x32 crashes cudaminer yielding a flurry of "does not validate on CPU".

So far for scrypt-jane mining, it looks like K6x20, k60x2, and k61x2 are my leading candidates. It's a 2GB card, and each of those configs gets me in the 2020 MB of vram usage (this seems to vary depending on which time I launch cudaminer). All these configs get me to around 3.35KH/s, with enough variance that I can't tell by looking over a few minutes which is actually better.

So I can get to 3.35KH/s with k6x20 or k60x2 or k61x2, but I don't understand why at all. vRam usage varies per each launch it seems like, but generally they are all around 2020 MB. Using 2D texture cache for any of these brings the flurry of does not validate.

Setting different -L or -l or -C options also change the amount of RAM usage, and effect whether or not cudaminer will actually run or not. For instance, with -L 4 I can run -C 2 at -l settings that it would crash if I used -L 2. Figuring this stuff out is a mess, but I really think 3.35KH/s is about tops for this card at these clocks.

Lookup gap (L) is what took my 780 from 3.6 to 5.33kh/s...go up till it won't budge anymore...and oc the core as much as possible. It'll get hot but it'll probably get to 4kh/s.

And since Doge halved, it now looks like YAC mining is way more profitable.

Curious what a i7 4770 can get in YAC... Or what CPU miner is best for YAC?

Lookup gap (L) is what took my 780 from 3.6 to 5.33kh/s...go up till it won't budge anymore...and oc the core as much as possible. It'll get hot but it'll probably get to 4kh/s.

Thanks, will try and see where that leaves me. So far in testing with higher L, I can't find any kernel setting that gets me close to 2000 MB.

Back