• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nvidia is profitable to mine on currently - scrypt-jane, cudaminer, and yacoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
So just wanted to post a tidbit now to raise awareness in case any other nvidia people are here.

In order to mine scrypt-jane coins the current cudaminer source can be compiled into a windows binary - this means there isn't a current binary supporting scrypt-jane that you can download and install from the cudaminer developer, but you can build an executable yourself.

Scrypt-jane support isn't in the 12-18 release of cudaminer. The developer hasn't been optimizing script for cudaminer lately, and only focusing on scrypt-jane - it is up to twice as profitable to mine yacoin (scrypt-jane) on nividia as it is to mine litecoin (scrypt).

This is important for example, because nvidia sucks for mining litecoin compared to AMD. For example a 5870 ($100-150) does 400kh/s and a gtx 760 ($200-250+) does 300kh/s with a solid overclock. So the 5870 is roughly 25% faster. However mining yacoin on scrypt-jane is almost twice as profitable as mining litecoin currently, which means you can earn more with nvidia GPUs than you could on 5870s and even newer GPUs on AMD. Furthermore, scrypt-jane is really effective for mid-lowend GPUs, so you can build miners relatively cheaply.

A 660ti for example can do roughly 3.5 kh/s on scrypt-jane. This gets you about 120 yacoins a day, which exchanges to .00452 BTC, or $4.20/day. Compare that to mining litecoin at 350 kh/s, which gets you .09 LTC a day, or $2.43/day.

So basically, if you have nividia hardware it can be pretty damn profitable to mine on it right now - equivalent to mining LTC at 600 kh/s (that would require a 7950).

Secondly in case its not obvious, if you don't want yacoin, just mine it and send it to an exchange then convert it to LTC or BTC. Then you can hold or sell that, as you please.

To compare mining value, you can use this calculator for yacoin:

To use that calculator, you need to know your yacoin hash rate, which is difficult because few people currently use cudaminer's scrypt-jane version. The cudaminer bitcointalk thread, the last 50 or 100 or more posts at this time mention yacoin hash rates for different cards - some of them surprisingly cheap and profitable.

Gonna try this since I'm going to remount my GTX 470 while I wait for my 290X RMA...

Great now what?

Stick with my 6850 that I bought just for mining or put my beloved MSI 550ti Cyclone II back and try to yacoin mine......

This time, the 6850 wins. I've swapped my 550ti back in 3 times for pts gpu mining, and it was a failure every time...

Besides, I don't even know how to compile cudaminer, let alone compile it on windows :p

I've been thinking about switching myself, but I haven't looked into actually compiling it which will take a little figuring as I don't have a Dev environment setup. Also, I need to figure out where I want to trade Yac for btc at since I'm only on btc-e currently.

You can mine with both cards I think, though I haven't looked into how that works with both drivers and stuff.

If someone here compiles the miner, they should share it for the rest of the nvidea cards people might wish to mine with here. Or at least post a nice guide on how to do it.

Agreed. I will do that if no one does first, but I don't know when or if I will get to it. Lots of priorities ahead of that.

I've been thinking about switching myself, but I haven't looked into actually compiling it which will take a little figuring as I don't have a Dev environment setup. Also, I need to figure out where I want to trade Yac for btc at since I'm only on btc-e currently.

You can mine with both cards I think, though I haven't looked into how that works with both drivers and stuff.

I can't. Mobo can't handle any video card in my modded pcie 1x slot. :bang head

If someone here compiles the miner, they should share it for the rest of the nvidea cards people might wish to mine with here. Or at least post a nice guide on how to do it.

^ This is a perfect starting point for the caretaker :p

so would this be worth it for me to setup another rig to pull my 450gts and my 280gtx off of my table ive heard 280's get about 80kh and 450's get about 50kh

ok, Im starting to feel the need to find an nvid :)) Im missing these bits bc of lack of need

There's a few up in the classifieds I think. Dunno if they are too old to be of any use.

ok, Im starting to feel the need to find an nvid :)) Im missing these bits bc of lack of need

I got a 550ti here... :p

j/k if cudaminer includes scrypt-jane, my brother's rig will be my yacoin rig :p

so would this be worth it for me to setup another rig to pull my 450gts and my 280gtx off of my table ive heard 280's get about 80kh and 450's get about 50kh

Probably worth it, but you would want to try to find testing in those or similar cards in the cudaminer thread on bitcointalk. Cbuchner1 the cudaminer Dev has done a lot of testing himself and others have as we, which has pretty much all just happened since 12/18. You want to find testing because scrypt-jane for yacoin performs very differently than scrypt for litecoin... Scrypt-jane makes bank off hash rates like 1-3kh/s. Those cards might be in the .5-2kh/s range, but that's a wild guess.

At those litecoin hash rates they probably wouldn't be worth mining litecoin, but there probably is worthwhile profit in the scrypt-jane yacoin route.

Back