• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BAMT the dedicated alt coin mining OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The advantages I see with BAMT:

1. No purchase of an OS.
2. No need to learn Linux.
3. Fast configuration (way faster than installing an os and drivers and.....)
4. Adding more video cards is hassle free.
5. Reporting gives me good details on temperatures and hash rates for each card.

I am going to try this again. If I get my primeminer working with it, I will report back. I will try to keep track of the process, in case someone else wants to try.

cgwatcher does that silver. You just have to set it to restart computer and make sure your computer automatically logs in.

Oh, I didn't know that.
Now, how can I make windows auto login without removing my password....

Meh, I only have the one Radeon for now. I will keep this in mind for the future.

Thanks. :)

Litecoin bamt
https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=2924.0

Change Log:
drivers for the latest radeon series cards
the latest sgminer (4.0.0)
support for 6 cards
modified scripts which support litecoin mining/monitoring

Quick Start:
Litecoin BAMT comes in two flavors:

"R9 Series" supports all radeon cards, including the new R9 series.
Litecoin BAMT 1.3

"7xxx Series" supports ONLY 7xxx and older radeon cards, but achieves higher hashrates.
Litecoin BAMT 1.1.1
Download and extract litecointbamt1.1.1.zip

Nice, and I look forward to the configuration guide. I gave it a shot on my wife's PC (moved the 7950 into it temporarily until I get some risers for my main PC) and couldn't get it working, ended up just loading cgminer inside of linux. Computer has 4GB of RAM but I can't go past intensity 12 without getting HW errors, even though it was fine on my main PC. Also can't put TC anywhere near 24000.

BAMT rules........

But anyone know how does the BAMT pool file setting work for dogecoin, will it be like (theres no http)
stratum+tcp://stratum3.dogehouse.org:943 -u username123 -p pw123
or
stratum+tcp://username123:[email protected]:943
?

I was told to try the former on top, but I'm not getting anything now into my dogehouse acct...

I have my dediBAMTminer running with 4 cards today (since I cobbled together a support frame for video cards.

With riser ribbons plugged into 3 PCI-E16slots and one PCI-e1X slot BAMT could only see the first and last cards.

Moving cards 2-3-4 all to PCI-e1X slots caused BAMT to boot and recognize all 4 cards.

Can bamt be configured to automatically restart cgminer or to restart computer if cards lock up or if hashes drop too low?
Similar to what cgwatcher does?
I have one card that is giving me troubles, but I am unsure which one it is. I guess I will spend some time with that today...

When using bamt, is there a way to see the cgminer window? or another way to see hw errors?

dogecoin with bamt OK

BAMT rules........

But anyone know how does the BAMT pool file setting work for dogecoin, will it be like (theres no http)
stratum+tcp://stratum3.dogehouse.org:943 -u username123 -p pw123
or
stratum+tcp://username123:[email protected]:943
?

I was told to try the former on top, but I'm not getting anything now into my dogehouse acct...

I mine dogecoin with bamt.

I don't use the pool file at all.. I mark every line in the pools.conf with hashtag to make bamt ignore it. However I have the pools in my cgminer.conf (located at /etc/bamt/cgminer.conf)

1. The best way to make a valid cgminer.conf file is to start cgminer with a command line interface from the cgminer folder - just how you use it in windows. (cgminer -o url -u user -p pass --gpu-engine XXX --gpu-fan 55 etc)

2. when cgminer is running fine and everything seems to be under order press s (for settings) and then press w (write config)..

3. either press enter, and cgminer writes the .config in a default folder, or input a new folder...for example /etc/bamt/

voila. You have a config file with pools in it. This is how I managed to get this bamt thingy working...

I've been messing around "litecoin bamt 1.3 r9 version" for about 24 hours now. I have very little knowledge of linux etc. but now I have managed to make it work, steady 715 khash with msi r9 280x gaming, undervolted to 1.112 v with the flash bios trick. I almost bricked one of my cards, because I forgot to flick the bios switch before flashing.. (stupid and too tired at the time).... however I managed to flash the official msi provided bios back to the card.

So it is completely possible to undervolt cards, if you know which cards you are buying... msi and sapphire seem to be the safest bets for undervolting I guess...personally I think I will be buying more msi's because of the official bios released by msi to keep vram temps down..it just works out of the box quite well.

Also I have bamt running on a 2g usb stick...absolutely no problems with that. Also I only have 2 gb of memory, running fine so far.

- my biggest worry at the moment is how to change the remote desktop password, I don't want somebody hijacking my mining rig...does anybody know how to do this... changing the user and root passwords in terminal do not affect the remote desktop passwords....

EDIT The following address has useful information about bamt and a response to my own question.... finally:

http://www.altcoinfever.com/learned-love-bamt-bomb/

also good source of information:

http://rumorscity.com/2013/12/06/litecoin-bamt-version-1-1-easy-usb-linux-mining-distro/

It contains a working installation guide - just remember that 1.3 is out there and is a better installation with latest drivers.

litecoin bamt 1.3. available at: https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=2924.0

and remember to avoid SMOS bamt or litecoinrabbit bamt, they have hidden agendas, like mining 15 minutes per day for the creator of the bamt build etc.

Best of luck for everyone, Bamt is cool, once you get to know it a bit, and remember to use litecoin bamt 1.3 r9 version for modern graphics cards for ease of installation and peace of mind, if you are a linux n00b like me :)

Last edited:
I can't get this working at all for me. Had an empty PC waiting to be used, tossed a 7850 in there, it is being detected, but all it says is "a fault has been detected on GPU 0" with no other details. "mother -v" returns:

Code:
mother starts (36 seconds since last run)
babysit autoconf client...
        autoconf client is ok
babysit cgminer...
        cgminer is ok
look for defunct phoenix...
gathering GPU status...done
broadcasting status
checking GPU health...
        check GPU 0...
                GPU 0 is enabled but not mining
        faulting GPU 0
refreshing desktop bg..
cgminer.conf:

Code:
{
"pools" : [
        {
                "url" : "stratum+tcp://middlecoin.com:3333",
                "user" : "**************************",
                "pass" : "1"
        }
}
"intensity" : "17",
"vectors" : "1",
"worksize" : "256",
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"lookup-gap" : "0",
"thread-concurrency" : "8192",
"shaders" : "1024",
"gpu-engine" : "1000",
"gpu-fan" : "0-100",
"gpu-memclock" : "1200",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0",
"gpu-powertune" : "0",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000",
"temp-cutoff" : "95",
"temp-overheat" : "85",
"temp-target" : "72",
"api-port" : "4028",
"auto-fan" : true,
"expiry" : "120",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-threads" : "1",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "5",
"scrypt" : true,
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"shares" : "0",
"kernal-path" : "/opt/cgminer/bin"
}

trying out bamt currently on my old s939 rig, with a 280x in it.
hopefully it goes well.
however, it always crashes after 5-10 minutes, and i cant figure out why!
any ideas?
using stock clocks on the gpu, and the same config settings that i used on the card in windows on a different rig...
temps dont seem to be getting high enough to cause a crash, really not sure what the deal is here...

When using bamt, is there a way to see the cgminer window? or another way to see hw errors?

This is kind of a late reply but would you could do is:

1) Click on the "Start button logo" at the bottom left
2) Click on "Accessories"
3) Click on "root terminal"
4) Type "screen -dr" without the quotes

You will then see the sgminer display with the hardware errors shown under "HW:" per each GPU.

I like BAMT, currently using version 1.3 since I have an R9 card in the mix. Overclocking is no problem simply by entering it into the "cgminer.conf" file which is another tutorial that needs to be created in this current forum thread.

I am using some old/and one new card with the following: GPU0=7770, GPU1=7770, GPU2=5850, GPU3=R9 290 without any problems with BAMT. I even reordered the cards and BAMT didn't miss a beat upon rebooting. However, I did need to edit my "cgminer.conf" file again and reorder based upon the position of the GPU in the file.

NOW, if we could only undervolt easily I would be 100% happy with it instead of 80% happy.

I tried to install and get this running over the weekend. I had a horrible time. Never got it working. I don't know if it incomparability with hardware or what, I couldn't get it to mine. I will try again with a different board.

I tried to install and get this running over the weekend. I had a horrible time. Never got it working. I don't know if it incomparability with hardware or what, I couldn't get it to mine. I will try again with a different board.

It directs to a hidden config file... Really isn't set up the best.

try this, and just change the line for your .conf file if it isnt in the same place as the video

More videos here. BAMT in OP is outdated and unsupported (anything new is user modified) I find this site and ground up build to be much better.

http://www.smos-linux.org/video/

http://www.smos-linux.org/index/

Last edited:
Back