• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backplane riser setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Did any of you guys ever think about CUDA and backplane risers a la compute cluster for folding?

I haven't seen any of these setups yet but I'm curious about it.
The possibilities are endless :p Moar density!

I found this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64450.0

Guy couldn't get it to work, probably because he was using radeons, but if CUDA clusters are built like this, then a CUDA folding/mining cluster is ought to work, right?

:comp:

I haven't seen a backplane folder set up. 12 GPU's sounds like a ****load of power would be needed. A 20A circuit wouldn't do it, so you'd need to change from the normal wire size, etc.

Anything that requires hacking the BIOS and the Linux kernel, is a project that is beyond my abilities, even if I wanted to set it up.

It looks like it'd be the ideal setup for a super dense compute cluster.
I'm working with an investor with deep pockets, I'll see if I can get a dev to work on this.
If I get a working os and a part list I'll post it here for you guys.

A stand of mobo's, with 6 GPU's each, isn't dense enough? (a la Atlas Folder's first set up on YouTube)?

You could spend a lot of time and money on getting this cluster to work, and there are real doubts that it would ever work at all. Compare that to using a known method.

There is a reason backplanes are not more popular. My one experience with a multi-board backplane computer was FAR from being a dream. (Quite the nightmare.)

Was just wondering...6 gpu per board is good but even that can get hard to pull off. :p
I was going with 4 per board, using server fans and no riser cable nor adapters, all that chinese crap parts tend to burst into flames eventually.

Honestly, it's been several years since I saw Atlas Folder's old gpu "farm". I am not sure if he had 4 or 6 GPU's per mobo. Six does sound too high.

Good.

I'll build at least 24 rigs with 4 r9 290 with risers cause I couldn't find boards for decent $$.
I chose the msi z87 g45, which takes up to 6 gpus with risers.

Good.

I'll build at least 24 rigs with 4 r9 290 with risers cause I couldn't find boards for decent $$.
I chose the msi z87 g45, which takes up to 6 gpus with risers.

Isn't that going to cause a tremendous load problem on your home electric power panel and circuits? (Not to mention the cost.)

Back