• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy undervolting guide for 79xx and R9 280X cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have been flashing bioses and messing with settings off and on, all day. So far no improved results from the stilt's bioses. I haven't found one that seem compatible with the visiontek 7950. Now I guess I will try to get it back to where was before I started...

What is your current hash rate?

Some of the optimized bios are very specific as to memory brand and other factors. The best chance for success is to dump your stock card vbios with gpu-z and post a link to it, with card and memory details, in the litecointalk.org thread. He'll reply with a dropbox link to the optimized version.

Last edited:
I posted over there, hopefully he will get to it eventually.
I can't believe he would do that for everyone. People can't do a search or read through the ones already done. It seems that people ask for the same ones over and over. I hope he has gotten some generous donations.

Very interesting, would love to get my 290x from the 910 to the 1MHs range.

at least right now it looks a lot more complicated, waiting to see how the thread progresses.

Sticking with afterburner... my mining rig is only drawing 600 watts and max temp of 75C, not bad for 2 overclocked 7950s doing about 1.2 mhash

I draw 792w with 3 280X's hashing away at 2160kh/s and an fx6300 at stock mining primecoin on 5 cores. :thup:

I posted over there, hopefully he will get to it eventually.
I can't believe he would do that for everyone. People can't do a search or read through the ones already done. It seems that people ask for the same ones over and over. I hope he has gotten some generous donations.

I added ALL of the bioses posted so far to my dropbox. That's too valuable to lose.

i wish I knew how to do that stuff, think if you could tune timings and stuff like that while benching?

i wish I knew how to do that stuff, think if you could tune timings and stuff like that while benching?

The Stilt knows a lot of stuff no one else seems to know, or talk about. I think he's an insider, he published that x87 tweak for superpi benching on fx chips. No one saw that one coming heh :p

I got my 7970 up to 770kh. My highest so far.
I am going to go through the 7950 bioses again. There are not too many 7950 elpida choices.

Last edited:
which do you have? my msi 280x is locked, can't change it with msi afterburner or trixx. havn't tried the bios flash method yet.

hes got a rog asus, ya ive been reading around and it does seem many 280s are locked :( so flashing does seem to be the only way for many

When I do steps 9 and 10 the command window just closes. I open as admin, write in the line of code, and hit enter, The command box just closes, so I'm not sure if it worked or not.

EDIT: going to the VDDC in GPU-Z shows a voltage of 1.2V, so it definitely did not work. (new voltage was supposed to be 1144mV)

wait wait, its not giving you a msg like now erasing bios, now writing, now verifying ? then something is wrong
plus ud need a hard reboot before you can see changes in gpuz and such

edit: afaik u can do this in gui too, if you start atiwinflash it will give u the option to load the bios image and program it

wait wait, its not giving you a msg like now erasing bios, now writing, now verifying ? then something is wrong
plus ud need a hard reboot before you can see changes in gpuz and such

edit: afaik u can do this in gui too, if you start atiwinflash it will give u the option to load the bios image and program it

I receive no such messages. Also, willing to tip in btc if someone wants to hop on skype and chat this out.

EDIT: I see there is a program in the folder called ATIWINFLASH, but there is an app called ATIFLASH. ATIFLASH uses CMD prompts and I think that's what Ivan is referring to in the steps to use, but maybe the program is what I need?

just use the gui, it should be perfectly fine, thats how i used to do it anyway, the winflash didnt change since the 58s

edit: this ones gui "ATIWinflash.exe"

So I followed the steps and updated the BIOS to 1143mV and saved it as Tahitimod.rom; but when I flash the BIOS I get voltage capped at .95V and and my clocks are stuck at 500/300... any thoughts?

I am using atiwinflash because the atiflash cmd prompt is not working for me.

Hmmm, single card?

I always reccomend afterburner, unofficial oc, disable ulps/no powerplay support in settings, reboot and then try again.

Triple card system Ivan, however I am updating the BIOS one at a time. I will put those settings into afterburner, reboot, and then try the flash again tomorrow.

Back