• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy undervolting guide for 79xx and R9 280X cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think we need 10 stickies in this section. If someone wants to put together a master list of important threads in one or two stickies that could be fine, but every topic doesn't need to be a sticky.

I don't think we need 10 stickies in this section. If someone wants to put together a master list of important threads in one or two stickies that could be fine, but every topic doesn't need to be a sticky.

this, I too have been thinking we have a few many already
imma setup a list as Jan suggested, good idea :thup:

Ivan, do have a request for you, edit the OP and add instructions for older cards too, they're not too diff after all, make it a general flashing guide :thup:

Last edited:
this, I too have been thinking we have a few many already
imma setup a list as Jan suggested, good idea :thup:

Ivan, do have a request for you, edit the OP and add instructions for older cards too, they're not too diff after all, make it a general flashing guide :thup:

Ok, whenever I get some time I will. :thup:

QFT... let's get this joint organized. :)

Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but is there any reason that I cannot simply lower the voltage in MSI AB assuming the card supports it and just have it boot at startup with the voltage I set? Seems easier... at least for rigs with the same exact card/needs/has that ability anyway.

QFT... let's get this joint organized. :)

Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but is there any reason that I cannot simply lower the voltage in MSI AB assuming the card supports it and just have it boot at startup with the voltage I set? Seems easier... at least for rigs with the same exact card/needs/has that ability anyway.

My Sapphire Dual-x 270x was voltage locked until the BIOS was modded to use lower voltage. Now it's unlocked so I use MSI AB ;)

But yes, if it's unlocked use MSI AB. But you need to mod the BIOS to use lower voltage as Linux does not support voltage control.

So that was a yes... cool.

I thought you HAD TO modify it through the bios, but it seems like that is only for cards you cannot adjust voltage with software...perhaps adding that distinction in the first post would be helpful as well... :thup: :attn:

I have a problem. I have done everything as the guide says and everything goes sucessfull I restart my rig but run cgminer but voltage stays the same?

I've loaded my modified bios with VBE7 and I can see that VDCC is 1144. And if I try to flash it again it says "flash already programmed".

I have a problem. I have done everything as the guide says and everything goes sucessfull I restart my rig but run cgminer but voltage stays the same?

I've loaded my modified bios with VBE7 and I can see that VDCC is 1144. And if I try to flash it again it says "flash already programmed".

did you try ripping the bios with gpuz to verify its the new one ?

what do you mean ripping?

well pulling/saving :) basically start gpuz, then look for the save bios button, its a lil green arrow, save that to a new file, then open it with VBE and double check if its your modded bios

yes on both cards(i have two 280x)

yes, both cards have the new bios verified ?
so now the issue still remains that bios volt didnt change ? btw did you change position 0 and 6 ?

Use AfterBurner and Gpu-Z to verify voltage.

Cgminer reports 1.15 volts for my 6850, but Afterburner says 1.18, which is what I have the card set at.

yeah both have new bios with 1144 and yes both #6 and #0 are at 1144.
I've got gigabyte r9 280x rev 2.0 so I think there is no switch right?

I've checked voltage with GPU-z and it says 1.20V.

But now i could manually lowere the voltage in cgminer to 1.14 and also GPU-z says its 1.14. But something is not right because the temperatures are still 10°C higher from the my other card and fan is on 90% trying to cool it down.

Dego, are these in a case ? because the upper card will always be hotter, basic law of physics :)

what i was saying earlier is using gpuz to save the bios off the card, open it up in vbe and making sure its the modified version, no just checking what gpuz reports as voltage

no I have a rig they are seperated with 10cm space. I will have 4 280x but i'm waiting for 24 pin PSU adapter.

yes i've checked with vbe7 and its the modified bios.

its just really strange this...

no I have a rig they are seperated with 10cm space. I will have 4 280x but i'm waiting for 24 pin PSU adapter.

yes i've checked with vbe7 and its the modified bios.

its just really strange this...

most odd, but try this: remove all drivers, use the driver remover, then install clean drivers
i havent seen this happen like in your case, but ive seen the old driver generally sticking the cards into low power speeds after a flash

Back