• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows refuses to shut down after changing processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

Hello,

So i changed my I5 4430 for a I7 4770K, im running windows 7 ultimate (64bt).
After the change my computer refuses to shut down and i have to hold the power button down for it to turn off, which has me worried
Anyone know if i butchered the OS somehow/corrupted some files?
Should i back up my files and reinstall the os? thanks :[

Did you clear the CMOS when you installed the new Cpu? You could try that and see if it helps. If not you may need to do a clean install of the OS.

seems like clean install it is :(, another question i have a extra storage drive with a good amount of data on it but it carries nothing os related. Should i considered those files for lost? transfer them to an external drive? i wanna know everything possible to minimize the pain in the *** of having to reformat

Well if you do a clean install you'll lose everything on the drive so backing up important files would be a good idea. What you should do when you do the clean install is, partition the drive and have only the os and drivers on one partition and your programs and other files on another partition. This way if you ever need to do a clean install again you just do it one the partition with the OS on it.

Maybe look see if there's a bios update for your board some updates can solve issues like yours I know my Gigabyte board below had issues with USB 3.0 and they fixed it with a update.

Your extra storage drive should be fine if you are just storing data on it. Personally I always disconnect my storage drive(s) on a reinstall just to make sure there are no accidents formatting the OS drive. I also keep all my photos backed up on an external drive.

Your extra storage drive should be fine if you are just storing data on it. Personally I always disconnect my storage drive(s) on a reinstall just to make sure there are no accidents formatting the OS drive. I also keep all my photos backed up on an external drive.

Thanks JLK03F150, sorry Hazzy it was late and I read " I have extra storage on the drive". What JLK said is correct if the storage is on a second drive it will be fine. Just remove the drive if you do a fresh install. Angel has a point though, try flashing the bios first.

I wouldn't fuss with BIOS updates or troubleshooting. Anytime I upgrade motherboard or processor, I format/reinstall. It's not always necessary, especially within the same chipset, but more often than not it saves some time and it's always nice to start fresh.

Swapping a cpu should not cause a reinstall situation on the same chipset nor do you need to (I never took that time..). I honestly never had to reinstall an os when swapping a cpu on the same chipset.

What I would do is this...

1. Reinstall chipset drivers
2. Run Windows Experience Index so it re-polls and tests your hardware which of course includes the new cpu...see if that helps.
3. If that doesn't help, try a repair install of windows. I am not sure if it fixes shutdown stuff, but it is worth the 5 minutes it takes to try (10 if you include steps 1 and 2).

Went on safe mode and did a system repair with the original install CD, all good now gents appreciate all your help!

Sure beats a format and reinstall! Glad you tried that stuff first as again, cpu on the same socket you do not need a reinstall. It's clean.

Back