• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random CPU thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaawew

It's late and I am just doing some random thinking. So I want to pose this question, would you rather have a i7 type CPU where you have 4 cores 8 threads or have something like an i5 but it has 6 cores and only 6 threads? Just curious and well yea just curious on opinions :D:D. Have a good night :D

I think I would rather go with a multithreaded multicore cpu than a single threaded multicore
in the simplest terms that is, but however you get there, the idea is smooth computing without hiccups and without you noticing that the computer is actually working...Smooth snappy and right now is the ideal setup and getting there is the real art :cool:

I'm pretty sure that tossing new threads on idle cores draws a lot less power and creates less heat than trying to push more threads down cores that are already busy.

But, more real cores = more expensive and harder to produce :) Hyperthreading only requires adding a little extra section to each core.

Your imaginary 6-core i5 would stomp the poop out of the i7 under a heavy 6 thread load, but the opposite might be true under a lighter 8 thread load. 2 of those threads would be constantly waiting on a core to complete instructions, whereas the 4c/8t i7 could be already chomping away at them.

I'd still pick the imaginary 6c i5 :)

Back