• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mining Damage. Pics welcomed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had no idea mining was still a thing. When I get around to building my Sky Lake (or maybe even Kaby Lake) rig I might keep the Haswell one and dedicate it to mining. Got an i5-4460 and a GTX 750. Probably not the best setup in the world but better than just scrapping it :p

One of my ZTE Speeds became unusably unstable a few days ago. Looks like ZTE devices are not built very well. They still pay for themselves pretty quickly so I'll keep buying them if there's a deal.

I just got two Moto Es to add to the cluster. Hope they hold up better than the ZTEs. At about $20 each, the break even point is around 2-3 weeks on the coins I'm currently mining.

My Kindle Fire (original, 1st gen) blew a voltage regulator this morning. Unlike the other devices I had break down, I was able to bodge in a replacement voltage regulator and get it mining again. I had overclocked it in the past so it might have been that and not the mining that actually caused the failure. (I did mod it with some thermal pads before overclocking it.)

Not Bitcoin (that's for ASICs only nowadays) but Swagbucks. It has been making about $25/month although that altcoin has been showing signs of trouble so it could crash any time. (Swagbucks is a bit of an odd coin that limits production per IP address in order to discourage mass mining operations. A dual core ARM can easily reach that.)

One of my Moto Es stopped hashing last week. What's strange is that it mostly works just fine, except try to mine with it and it won't hash. No crash, it just doesn't mine. I tried a factory reset with no change. I then tried going into the bootloader to reflash it and the USB doesn't seem to work. It is now out of commission for mining, but it's still useful for other things. The difficulty is way up so I'm not sure if it would be worth getting it mining again, but I would really want to get the USB working so I can reflash it and have more flexibility in what I can use it for.

A few months ago, I had the touchscreen fail on my Nexus 7 (was being used as a display for my Mooshimeter), and not being able to fix it, I turned it into a miner. Maybe it got bored of graphing numbers using elementary school algebra and wanted to calculate crypto nonces instead. Or maybe it wanted to work for my best friend Naomi Wu, who I'm sharing mining profits with. :)

my very first :( an r9 270 .. but then again I bought it used and in rather poor shape .. I should have known better

still .. must always remember that cards do not love this 24x7 deal

My second ZTE Speed broke down last month, but that's not the end. It will try to boot up and then just flash a red LED - a good start for the Flashing Light Prize!
Not a bad way to conclude nearly 2 years of practically 24/7 service. No idea why the first one failed so much earlier.

I also managed to fix the Moto Es that stopped hashing. The profits are way down with the record high difficulty, but $10-15 per month on a cluster that paid for itself long ago isn't bad at all.

Back