• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mining Damage. Pics welcomed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
Celebrate the retirement of your dead *mining* hardware here

RIP, you served me well:
Asus P5K Premium Motherboard:
*Failing memory controller, can only use 2 ram slots now.
*Failed PCI-E slot 0 last night, now using PCI-E slot 1

New build parts tomorrow!

Last edited:
RIP my old AMD Duron "Spitfire" :cry:

My very fist CPU...

Stock - 750 Mhz @ 1.6 Vcore.
OC'd - 1100 Mhz @ 2.2 Vcore.

Now on it's last legs, it won't boot Windows anything over 1025 Mhz now :(
Killed with too much heat & Vcore. (Either that, or I screwed up opening the "golden bridges")
My first Cpu OC attempt too :)

IMG260.jpg

guy sold me a 5970 (dual GPU card).
shipped it to me in a box with no packing material.
card was DOA. RIP.
guy refunded me

....but....
i had nothing to lose.
so i baked it.

7ggMt4Q.jpg

put it back in, card works! but fan doesnt :(
lucked out and found an AC5970 tri-fan heatsink on bitcointalk
installed new heatsink and fan.
card now mines great 740KH @ 50C/58C for the GPUs and minimal noise (not that i care about noise)

long live the (what ended up being)free zombiecard.

9FoBv5N.jpg

I am down a 5870 lightning and now another 5870. Not too bad for 2.5 years mining.

guy sold me a 5970 (dual GPU card).
shipped it to me in a box with no packing material.
card was DOA. RIP.
guy refunded me

....but....
i had nothing to lose.
so i baked it.

7ggMt4Q.jpg

put it back in, card works! but fan doesnt :(
lucked out and found an AC5970 tri-fan heatsink on bitcointalk
installed new heatsink and fan.
card now mines great 740KH @ 50C/58C for the GPUs and minimal noise (not that i care about noise)

long live the (what ended up being)free zombiecard.

9FoBv5N.jpg
You're freaking lucky. :thup:

I forgot the death of a K9A2 platinum motherboard. Died , but took the bullet for my gpus. All 4 gpus lived. Apparently rain water is hard on hardware. :shrug:
We had a huge thunderstorm while I was out of town for a few days. There is a ventilation pipe that comes in through the brick wall into my furnace/ water heater room. Between water and wind, water travelled like 6-8 feet up that ventilation pipe and dribbled onto the board. I had the board placed in that room so the heat would vent outside.

Let's talk about how much damage have occured since you took up the hobby of mining!!

here's my count.

Burnt GPU:

7970 Ghz XFX: 6mths after: lost signal, never figured what went down, but GPU dead.
R9280X Sapphire: 1mth only: Burnt Voltage regulator, I will attach a picture here.

burnt GPU.jpg

this is after some cleaning, there was a POP then burnt smell, and I immediately know it was my GPU. took it out and saw burnt marks.

what's yours?

as depressing as this may be, this is a good thing to keep in mind an acknowledge
havent burned anything just yet myself, but i havent mined non stop that long either, hope with good cooling i may not :)) hey i can hope ;)

This is one of the big reasons why I bought 2 year insurance plans with micro center on all my mining cards. Protects against thermal, electrical, water, burnt out fans, and even oc damage... of course, if they can't keep any cards in stock I'm the exchange process will be hell.

Let's talk about how much damage have occured since you took up the hobby of mining!!

here's my count.

Burnt GPU:

7970 Ghz XFX: 6mths after: lost signal, never figured what went down, but GPU dead.
R9280X Sapphire: 1mth only: Burnt Voltage regulator, I will attach a picture here.

View attachment 138097

this is after some cleaning, there was a POP then burnt smell, and I immediately know it was my GPU. took it out and saw burnt marks.

what's yours?

Couldn't you just replace the dead parts??
Parts should be cheap, might be worth it.
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/capacitors

No damage, but I had one of my GPUs cause my PC to restart... Still mines great though after reboot...

haha, am i the only one with damaged cards then? XD

guess I push them too hard. lol.

this is part of the reason i went with xfx, fo dat lifetime warranty ;)

actually i guess the stopped it with the 79xx series of card idk if they brought it back, if not im sad.

edit: at the bottom of the newegg page it says lifetime so maybe they put it back in effect.

Back