• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using DRBL for mining?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I'd like to play around, but I don't personally have the mining setup to justify actually implementing it.

The way it would work would be pretty straight forward. Similar to the BAMT thread, but without the USB drives.

Like this:
1. Setup DRBL Server (this is like a ready made package. Installs on a USB drive, you'd use this on the first mining PC only)
2. Set other machines to boot from PXE/ethernet
3. Machines boot, look for DHCP server, find it on the DRBL server, get IPs, get the OS over the network from the DRBL server, and they boot

The mining setup would need to be built into the OS image DRBL pushes out, or it would have to be configured on each machine after it boots.

For a setup that has a bunch of identical mining rig, this would rock - literally plug in the miner, boot from the network, and it would start mining. No config necessary aside from plugging it in and booting to network.

Here's a link for DRBL:
http://drbl.org/

Not sure how complex it is to add the mining application into the OS image that gets pushed over the network, but it can't be that hard, and then setting it to execute at startup is trivial.

It would also make maintenance easier - instead of updating the USB drive on each individual mining rig, you update the OS image DRBL pushes and just reboot the miners.

well.. although Im sure I can mod the image to include the necessary packages and autostart, Im more on the fence about something .. different machines, if all machines are the same, then this could be a very good drone OS, but if they are different ? that may be an issue

Ya, it would get more complex with variance in GPUs. The rest of the hardware wouldn't matter - Linux is at the point that everything current mostly just detects and runs without problem.

So if there's different GPUs that need different mining configs, this would get slightly more complicated but not by much... The startup script would be different. The startup script would just need a few lines of code to look at graphics card info, detecting the model, and then launch the proper mining config for that card (you would need to setup the configs you want to be available on the server ahead of time, then clients just would detect and apply the right config when they ran their mining startup script after loading the OS).

Back