• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

True surround sound headphones/headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Jimmy should be set to release the 4.0's for public release anytime now. The mic quality on the 4.0 is absolutely superb and you will be pleased if that is the one you are waiting on :)

Yup, that's the one. I was initially going to order the 3.0, but it has a compatibility issue with my brother's motherboard (asrock z77 extreme4). Supposedly, the 4.0 is coming out some time between the end of February and March.

Looking back at my notes the 3.0 under a Mic Boost of 0.0 dB the mic needed to be set to 95% or higher to be clear and audile without distortion or muffle. The 4.0 does not have that issue and is clear and audible throughout any volume range.

A little update. I realized I went through the same thing ~4.5 years ago and went with regular headphones.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617313

So I bought the Tiamat 7.1s. I hadn't really had a reason to use them much until I played the Titanfall beta and holy crap they are awesome at positional audio. I'm able to better pinpoint enemies to a greater precision that are in front me AND behind me. With the HD555's it more of a "in this general area" while now it's more "within 1 foot of this spot". And it's definitely clear when something is actually behind you. With the HD555's I was often left confused if the sound was actually coming from in front of me or behind me. With the tiamat's there is absolutely no confusion. The only time the directional sound failed me was when I thought someone was behind me but turns out there was just a wall, a few moments later I died and it turned out he was above me.

Say what you want about surround sound headphones, but for me it actually works. I don't really test sound quality all that much, bu I'm sure my HD555's were probably better. I can say that hearing sounds coming from every direction when you're playing a game with a lot of chaos like Titanfall is very impressive.

Also, the HD555's are WAY more comfortable, absolutely no question about it. Maybe I need to break in the tiamat's more, but even so I doubt it will ever be close to as comfortable as the HD555's. It's still not bad though, I can definitely game for a few hours without discomfort, just doesn't really compare with the HD555.

Back