• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm sure this has been asked-- Bought a 4770 (non 'k'), what am I missing out on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tspek

Been putting off upgrading my 7 year old PC for a while now. A by product of this is that i'm a little out of the game and in my brief investigation of the current Intel offering I missed out on the point that overclocking the non k chips is basically impossible.

This isn't a crazy big deal to me. I've never invested in crazy cooling systems but I have always overclocked my chips.

I know that there is this "turbo boost" crap but what are people getting with pretty standard aftermarket air cooled HSF's on the 4770k?

I'm reading I can turbo boost the 4770 to 3.9ghz...am I missing out on a safe 300mhz by not getting the 4770k or are we talking a more significant difference?

With standard aftermarket you can generally shoot for 4300-4500 depending on chip luck. I also think that Turbo boost doesn't boost across all cores, unless your board has the option to do so.

With standard aftermarket you can generally shoot for 4300-4500 depending on chip luck. I also think that Turbo boost doesn't boost across all cores, unless your board has the option to do so.

MSI Z87-G45, i'm assuming it's there.

I'll probably return this guy and upgrade if we're talking 1000+mhz increases over a few hundred over stock.

It isn't really a 1000 mhz, its more like 500+. Your chip will turbo to 3.9, in your bios you have enhanced turbo which should basically run all your cores that fast till there is a significant load.

FYI 4770k's are a mixed bag. Some of them will do 4.8 on air. Mine will only do 4.4 on a bad *** custom loop.

It isn't really a 1000 mhz, its more like 500+. Your chip will turbo to 3.9, in your bios you have enhanced turbo which should basically run all your cores that fast till there is a significant load.

FYI 4770k's are a mixed bag. Some of them will do 4.8 on air. Mine will only do 4.4 on a bad *** custom loop.

Thanks. The deed has been done though. Conviced Newegg to take the RMA and ordered a 4770k.

Just finished it a bit ago...

p3wUBy8.gif.png

Been putting off upgrading my 7 year old PC for a while now. A by product of this is that i'm a little out of the game and in my brief investigation of the current Intel offering I missed out on the point that overclocking the non k chips is basically impossible.

This isn't a crazy big deal to me. I've never invested in crazy cooling systems but I have always overclocked my chips.

I know that there is this "turbo boost" crap but what are people getting with pretty standard aftermarket air cooled HSF's on the 4770k?

I'm reading I can turbo boost the 4770 to 3.9ghz...am I missing out on a safe 300mhz by not getting the 4770k or are we talking a more significant difference?

Turbo boost works on all cores. Just the more core that are active, the less of a boost it gives. Example: My i5-2300 can boost up to 2.9 Ghz when all 4 cores are active, or up to 3.1 Ghz when only 1 core is active. (Stock is 2.8 Ghz on it)

The "K" series allows overclocking the multiplier, something non k's can't do.
Now, You can overclock older i5's and such (I think 2nd and 1st gen though) by up to 400 Mhz only if you have a "Z" or "P" chipset on your mother board.

I have "H68" chipset, so I can't do the 400 Mhz extra overclock.

Really, the $30 price premium to get a 'K' version is worth it and then some. MY i5 2500K has been happily motoring along at 4.5GHz w/ 1.300v for 3 years now without 1 problem. Get the 'K'!:drool:

Back