• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for the sweet spot in price/performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I haven't been able to do much system building since socket 1366, and now it is time for an upgrade for my work computer.

I'm going to be able to spec out my system, as long as it isn't too expensive. Upper limit is not well defined either. So, I'm looking for a good price/performance sweet spot. I can go for Xeon chips as well as i5/i7.

I don't do a lot of heavy duty lifting with it, but regularly use access. May wind up doing CAD work with it in the near future.

Thanks!

4670K and Z87 is what I would go with. Access is nothing for any CPU, and CAD work, depending on the program, uses the GPU for its heavy lifting. If you need more CPU, get a 4770K and Z87 based system.

Since this is for work, does that imply you won't be overclocking it?

If that's the case, I would suggest an S processor, and an H87 motherboard.

Not overclocking it, and I should mention that I have to go through a vendor like Dell or Lenovo.

Not overclocking it, and I should mention that I have to go through a vendor like Dell or Lenovo.
What do you need us for then? LOL!

Being serious, drop the K processor since you are not overclocking and get a quad or quad with HT from Dell with a decent GPU in it in case you use CAD down the road. Not much we can do as far as specing things out...8GB of ram... stuff you know already. You got this man!

What do you need us for then? LOL!

Knowing what is good bang for the buck! :thup:

Being serious, drop the K processor since you are not overclocking and get a quad or quad with HT from Dell with a decent GPU in it in case you use CAD down the road. Not much we can do as far as specing things out...8GB of ram... stuff you know already. You got this man!

Well, you got me to talk to my boss and I might actually be able to build it myself. (The fact I saw that getting an extra 4GB DDR3 DIMM (for 8 total) would add $255 to the price also helped my case! :eek: :eek:)

I also want to get 2 ESATA ports, and I'm having a hard time finding any that will let me have more than 1.

I might be able to overclock it as long as I can get away with something not much fancier than an CM 212+ or similar.

Perhaps look into a case with front eSATA ports. Or if you are just looking into external hard drives, some of the Cooler Master cases have front bays where you can insert hard drives.

Maybe this one, so your boss doesn't suspect too much. ;)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322057

Higher quality, but still plain-jane, possibility. :thup:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112304

Or just remove all doubt...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133192

I could get away with the first two, but the 3rd one would just get me a "No" and a dirty look. :)

Just list the hardware... had to click 7 times and look...LOL! You have the case in there twice, no PSU. I don't see a HDD or SSD, but... not terribly important.

Your mobo has nothing to do with price/performance as a $130 mobo would do fine, but.. otherwise, solid.

Just list the hardware... had to click 7 times and look...LOL! You have the case in there twice, no PSU. I don't see a HDD or SSD, but... not terribly important.

Your mobo has nothing to do with price/performance as a $130 mobo would do fine, but.. otherwise, solid.

Sorry, copy and paste from what I sent to my boss.

However, thanks for pointing out that I'd missed the link for the CPU. It was going to be a thermaltake 750W.

Explains why it wasn't in the stuff that arrived today.

And the board is because I'm planning on bringing in a few 7970s to do some mining....

Edit: Couldn't find the one I'd planned on getting, so I'm going with this one: CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W ATX12V

Last edited:
Good call on the Corsair over the Thermaltake, but 750W is overkill for your needs. TBH a 430W would be fine, 600W would be more than enough. But hey, it's not coming out of your pocket! :) I would have gone with Windows 8, and a cheaper motherboard, but other than that, solid build!

Good call on the Corsair over the Thermaltake, but 750W is overkill for your needs. TBH a 430W would be fine, 600W would be more than enough. But hey, it's not coming out of your pocket! :) I would have gone with Windows 8, and a cheaper motherboard, but other than that, solid build!

750W is going to be running probably at least 2 7970 cards to do some mining.

I thought about Win8, but I would be putting Classic Shell on top of it anyway, and I'm used to Win 7/Classic Shell at the moment.

Also, to answer EDs question above, we just got some 300 GB Velociraptor drives in, and I'll be using one of those for the OS drive.

You wont be running more than 2 7970s while mining on that psu. Well, I wouldn't... No way. :)

Nope, if I get a 3rd or 4th one, I'll be adding in a 2 bay PCI-E only PSU that I have. But I'm not sure I can fit more than 2 on that board in the case without overheating.

Back