• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Same question as the guy with the 6300, but budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

Im wondering what the best budget board for my fx 6300 would be.. no more than like 75 bucks. looking for sata 6 and i want to over clock a little.

at the $75 price point I just don't know.

at that price point I would be watching micro center and new egg for open box.

If you're not looking for insane OCs, then get a Gigabyte 970A-D3 ver 3.

And if you get that Rev 3.0 of a giga board, PM "kyfire" directly for help with it and that way you may be able to get help. We would never suggest that mobo here in the forum from us that help all the time.
RGone...

And if you get that Rev 3.0 of a giga board, PM "kyfire" directly for help with it and that way you may be able to get help. We would never suggest that mobo here in the forum from us that help all the time.
RGone...

Instead of making smarta$$ comments about the board I suggested. Why not give a suggestion from your far superior knowledge to the OP. :)

Instead of making smarta$$ comments about the board I suggested. Why not give a suggestion from your far superior knowledge to the OP. :)

I don't know about a smartazz comment about the board. It seemed rather prudent to have the OP contact you since you have that board and recommend such in the hard to meet $75.00 price range AND have these words in his quest for that $75.00 board >> OP says "i want to over clock a little."

Yeah, I want to overclock a little also. To about a minumum of 4.5Ghz so that I can feel fairly confident I am not giving up just too much ground to an Intel i5 running at 3.4 when gaming. I don't have any confidence in any $75.00 motherboard to reach my little overclock.

In fact I looked at many of the boards we have seen come thru the AMD CPU and AMD Mobo sections and went to the Egg just to see if I could find anything recomendable in even the $100.00 range and could only find one that I thought might be a solid 24/7 performer and only found one and even it was $25.00 out of the OP's pricing.

There is at least one ASus in the $75.00 range but the OP wants Sata 6 and the cheaper Asus that we have seen handle a mild 4.2Ghz overclock at $75.00 has no Sata 6 since it does not use a 9xx chipset.

The Asrock 970 EXT3 when I checked on it was not even booting for some with an 8 core in it and that would say to me it is marginal for a 6 core and overclock.

$75.00 is a tough or very tough price point to meet when talking about 6 core and 8 core overclocks and especially so when I know what I mean when I say I want to overclock some.
RGone...

I don't know about a smartazz comment about the board. It seemed rather prudent to have the OP contact you since you have that board and recommend such in the hard to meet $75.00 price range AND have these words in his quest for that $75.00 board >> OP says "i want to over clock a little."

Yeah, I want to overclock a little also. To about a minumum of 4.5Ghz so that I can feel fairly confident I am not giving up just too much ground to an Intel i5 running at 3.4 when gaming. I don't have any confidence in any $75.00 motherboard to reach my little overclock.

In fact I looked at many of the boards we have seen come thru the AMD CPU and AMD Mobo sections and went to the Egg just to see if I could find anything recomendable in even the $100.00 range and could only find one that I thought might be a solid 24/7 performer and only found one and even it was $25.00 out of the OP's pricing.

There is at least one ASus in the $75.00 range but the OP wants Sata 6 and the cheaper Asus that we have seen handle a mild 4.2Ghz overclock at $75.00 has no Sata 6 since it does not use a 9xx chipset.

The Asrock 970 EXT3 when I checked on it was not even booting for some with an 8 core in it and that would say to me it is marginal for a 6 core and overclock.

$75.00 is a tough or very tough price point to meet when talking about 6 core and 8 core overclocks and especially so when I know what I mean when I say I want to overclock some.
RGone...

smiles...You're quite correct on all you posted. Heck even the 970A-D3 I suggested isn't a $76 board (although with some digging it can be found close to that). Yes, I have that board in 2 rigs both with FX 6300s. Can it handle an OC of 4.5? yes it can Would I want to push it harder than 4.5 for 24/7 use? Nope Granted it's a low level 4-1 board, but it is a solid performer (as long as it's the ver 3, which has VRM heat sinks.). Of course, as is the case with any CPU, MOBO or GPU, not every one will perform the same.
As far as using the 970A-D3, ain't no different than any other board. All tweaks are the same, turn off all the green stuff and take things in small steps, testing for stability in between.
As for helping on here, I toss my 2cents worth in when I have something to add that I have learned and/pr someone else may have missed. I would rather derfer to those that have more knowledge and experience than I have. I know that my knowledge is no where near that of others here, and I will say that I have learned quite a lot from folks like you Rgone, trents, C_D, just to name a few. .

^ That, yeah not exactly insane OC (it's only 4+1 phase) but it's a damn good board for its price, and make sure it's rev 3 because it has a heatsink on the VRM.

Not sure if retarded.... or if retarded...

You know there's a class action lawsuit brewing because of how terrible the VRM cooling is on that mobo right? Like the mother****ers get so hot it warps the board and makes it unusable bad... There's a 1000+ page on-going thread filled with videos, pictures, and dissertation/thesis long essays describing in detail how bad this motherboard is on overclockers.com

Do you know how to internet? You might want to google-fu that. I hope your post was a joke.

For future reference, revisions of the UD3 that are acceptable are 1,2, and 4.

Here's a thread explaining the terrible situation you might see yourself being ****ed into if you listen to these jokers, and how to fix it

http://www.overclock.net/t/1440428/gigabyte-ga-990fxa-ud3-rev-3-0-vrm-and-northbridge-temps-solution

PROTIP: DO NOT BUY THE GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN IT IS NOT REV 3.0 Even then there are better boards for the money like the Fatal1ty Killer, or Fatal1ty Pro, or even The Extreme 4.

I almost bought a Fatal1ty Professional (<-- BEST AM3+ board for the money) for 70 bucks shipped (50$ + 20$ shipping) on ebay like a week ago. Just lurk ebay and craigslist like a hawk and I'm sure something will show up.

Last edited:

You know there's a class action lawsuit brewing because of how terrible the VRM cooling is on that mobo right? Like the mother****ers get so hot it warps the board and makes it unusable bad... There's a 1000+ page on-going thread filled with videos, pictures, and dissertation/thesis long essays describing in detail how bad this motherboard is on overclockers.com

Do you know how to internet? You might want to google-fu that. I hope your post was a joke.

Here's a thread explaining the terrible situation you might see yourself being ****ed into if you listen to these jokers, and how to fix it

http://www.overclock.net/t/1440428/gigabyte-ga-990fxa-ud3-rev-3-0-vrm-and-northbridge-temps-solution

PROTIP: DO NOT BUY THE GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN IT IS NOT REV 3.0 Even then there are better boards for the money like the Fatal1ty Killer, or Fatal1ty Pro, or even The Extreme 4.

I almost bought a Fatal1ty Professional (<-- BEST AM3+ board for the money) for 70 bucks shipped (50$ + 20$ shipping) on ebay like a week ago. Just lurk ebay and craigslist like a hawk and I'm sure something will show up.

If you'd read my post I referanced the 970A-D3 ver 3 NOT the 990FXA-UD3 two totally different boards.

Pump the brakes dude. More respectful ways to go about this, even if you are correct. Calling people retarded is probably not the best way.

Chuckles

Actually I just considered the source and moved on. He referenced my recommendation of the 970A-D3 ver 3 and the board he's talking about is the 990FX-UD3. Totally different board.

I stand by my recommendation for the 970A-D3 ver as a good entry level budget board.

You know Bono Jr. looking through the tread history you sure do build, buy and barter alot of PC's and Laptops. You should have learned at this point that putting an FX6-8 core processor on a "cheap" board isn't very adviseable. How many have you built in the last year or so... well lets see...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723906

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726548

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731130

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732635

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736178

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741075

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741996

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742679

I'm not trying to be negative in anyway. It just seems to be a re-accuring topic for you. Please, for the love of humanity, get a decent board for your CPU. Christmas just passed a few months ago. Not sure when your birthday is but maybe you could get a good one then. (Please read his occupation on his profile page before chastising me.)

:bday:

Back