• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU artifacts out of nowhere

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roisen

Played some games Wednesday night then left my computer on and went to bed. Was running folding@home but on CPU only. Woke up to checkerboard artifacts on the desktop and in chrome. Booted up a game and had lots of misplaced vertices. Card is a 7850, not overclocked.

Tried underclocking by about 10%.

Checked temp on my card and it was around 40-60 on desktop and in game.

Checked event log and computer had not crashed during the night.

Uninstalled drivers completely and the problem remained. (Correction. If I disconnect from the internet so that windows can't immediately reinstall them, then the issue stops. As soon as I install drivers it returns. Have tried 13.4 and 13.12, both had artifacts)

Took a screenshot to verify the problem wasn't my monitor.

Verified PSU voltage levels with HWMonitor.

Swapped to alternate 6-pin power connector.

Anything else I can try before I determine that it definitely went bad somehow?

Last edited:
Another PCIe slot maybe? It is strange that with the default drivers it works but not with the Catalyst drivers. Have you tried any other driver versions?

Tried another slot last night with no luck. Only drivers tried listed above.

When I use my onboard GPU with my monitors connected to the 7850 I no longer get misplaced vertices but I still get horizontal lines like there is something wrong with the framebuffer or something. If I switch one monitor over to the onboard video-out I no longer get lines or checkerboarding on that monitor, but still on the other. The artifacts appear to be located at a fixed location on the screen regardless of the contents of the screen. (as opposed to when the 7850 was the master GPU, then there was corruption all over that shifted around as the contents of the screen changed.)

Back