• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Install windows XP on an Asus Z87 Maximus Hero Vi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is what I downloaded and installed. It said it installed correctly but when I go to install the Nvidia drivers I still get the " i need to install microsoft .net framework 4" before I can install the Nvidia drivers error message.?!?!?!?

ive got a standalone net4 install i use, i also keep my phone near me for any other odd downloads or like earthdog said a laptop. Also a HDD for storage, which is where i have my files needed and keep screenshots. then able to access it from any install.

ive got a stripped XP iso i use but havent put in ahci because i never needed to. just have all bench bios profiles for xp with IDE preset.

heres the standalone

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=17718

ive got a standalone net4 install i use, i also keep my phone near me for any other odd downloads or like earthdog said a laptop. Also a HDD for storage, which is where i have my files needed and keep screenshots. then able to access it from any install.

ive got a stripped XP iso i use but havent put in ahci because i never needed to. just have all bench bios profiles for xp with IDE preset.

heres the standalone

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=17718
Good advice. Instead of a spare HDD, I use a USB3 stick.

I never installed AHCI with XP either, just ran IDE (again separate drive for XP versus Vista and W7).

the thing im stuck on atm is finding a nvidia forceware driver for rivatuner ;)

couldnt get nvidia inspector to work

Update, it's up and running perfectly...I think. I installed a PCIe network adapter I had and installed the NVidia drivers through that. It installed the Microsoft .net framework 4.0 driver while installing the Nvidia driver and my super pi times are where they should be now for stock clocks.

Nice work Manny, finally got that thing working. Now you have to dork it up so you can try again.

Nice work Manny, finally got that thing working. Now you have to dork it up so you can try again.
I'm sure that it wont take me long to dork up the OS! At least now I know it can be done.

you may find that certain apps require an earlier net framework, like 3.5 or 2

found this out yesterday!

bench on!!

you may find that certain apps require an earlier net framework, like 3.5 or 2

found this out yesterday!

bench on!!
Thanks D1nky, at least now if I do need something different I can just hook it up to the net and download it, unlike before when I was swapping the flash drive around.

That was good thinking on your part Manny, and you just happened to have a card lying aroun.

That was good thinking on your part Manny, and you just happened to have a card lying aroun.
Definitely helps when you have a crap load of parts lying around. I knew I had it somewhere, along with the 8-10 older agp and pci gpus I found with it.

the link to the chipset driver does not indicate windows xp support, are you sure it was the same driver ? they may have removed it, can you post it somewhere ? I am planning on using windows xp on z87 and I need help getting that boat to float because none of the z87 boards support windows xp, can you tell where did you find all the drivers ?

the link to the chipset driver does not indicate windows xp support, are you sure it was the same driver ? they may have removed it, can you post it somewhere ? I am planning on using windows xp on z87 and I need help getting that boat to float because none of the z87 boards support windows xp, can you tell where did you find all the drivers ?

I never got the Hero IV LAN driver to work, I used a separate Intel Lan desktop adapter and downloaded the drivers from Intel.

This is what I downloaded and installed. It said it installed correctly but when I go to install the Nvidia drivers I still get the " i need to install microsoft .net framework 4" before I can install the Nvidia drivers error message.?!?!?!?

IIRC, the Nvidia drivers don't require .Net Framework 4x, unless you want to install GeForce Experience.

IIRC, the Nvidia drivers don't require .Net Framework 4x, unless you want to install GeForce Experience.
I have always deleted the Installer's .NET Framework and GeForce Experience directories and contents prior to installing the nVidia drivers and have never had .NET Framework related isntallation problems.

It's installed and running, part of it was my fault. When I switched drives I hooked the new drive to the Asmedia controller. So I switched it to the Intel Sata controller set it to IDE and used the NLite disk with the AHCI Drivers c627627 linked above. Next step will be getting the chipset drivers on it.
The Asmedia controller may not be handled by the motherboard's firmware. In such a case, yo would need to present a driver for the Asmedia controller during Windows XP's Text Mode portion of the setup if you are to setup Windows such a controller.

The Asmedia controller may not be handled by the motherboard's firmware. In such a case, yo would need to present a driver for the Asmedia controller during Windows XP's Text Mode portion of the setup if you are to setup Windows such a controller.

Yeah I didn't realize I hooked it up to the Asmedia controller. Once I switched it the OS installed.

Back