• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Install windows XP on an Asus Z87 Maximus Hero Vi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When it comes to inserting those drivers... why not CTRL+A and insert all, who knows if they'll come in handy and they all still fit on the CD image.

Sure, I was just hilighting the driver needed for the Max HeroVI

Your solution to insert drivers into installation CD is interesting but what should I do if I already have Win2003 installed on a much older ICH controller and I want it to boot hard drive on Z97 without reinstalling?

Have you installed a video driver? SMBus driver, USB driver and LAN driver?
Video driver for the integrated video? I have not been able to get a Lan driver to work with the on board Lan, I just have a cheap Pci Lan card and it worked fine. Way back when I did this I found a SMBus driver on Intels website for it, but I believe it is no longer there.

First post from a fairly novice user.
I know this is an old thread and I have read it very thoroughly, however I am still confused.
I want to build a new machine using the asus maximus hero vi, intel i5 4460, 32gb ram with windows xp x64 as the operating system, (I know it's old etc but for the purpose I have in mind it is the only os I can use).
Reading the various posts it seems this is possible and somebody had said they would post a full explanation how to do it but no sign of this that I can see.
Would it be possible for someone to hold my hand on this please ?

Last edited:
boobylops, not really sure I can be of help for you. I did get XP to run on the Hero but never used it as a daily machine, it was for benching purposes only. I was unable to get the Lan to work but that was more laziness then anything. I found a Pci Lan card I had lying around and it worked so I was good with that. As far as full functionality I'm not really sure how it will work. I would bet with a little research it can be run as a 24/7 but honestly am unsure.

boobylops, not really sure I can be of help for you. I did get XP to run on the Hero but never used it as a daily machine, it was for benching purposes only. I was unable to get the Lan to work but that was more laziness then anything. I found a Pci Lan card I had lying around and it worked so I was good with that. As far as full functionality I'm not really sure how it will work. I would bet with a little research it can be run as a 24/7 but honestly am unsure.

Thanks for the response, my hero vi arrived today,I am away for the weekend but will start on this on my return.

FYI the reason I want to use xp x64 is that I have about 8tb of music files which I am editing and need to move on a frequent basis, windows media player 11 is my player of choice for lots of reasons and win7/10 are just too difficult to mess with.

Will I be able to get back to you when I inevitably hit problems please, as I said I am fairly new to this and have never done things like slipstreaming etc.

I'm not on as often as I'd like to be, but usually I check in every day. Even if I can't help you I can certainly point you in the right direction and or someone else here can.

Thanks for the response, my hero vi arrived today,I am away for the weekend but will start on this on my return.

FYI the reason I want to use xp x64 is that I have about 8tb of music files which I am editing and need to move on a frequent basis, windows media player 11 is my player of choice for lots of reasons and win7/10 are just too difficult to mess with.

Will I be able to get back to you when I inevitably hit problems please, as I said I am fairly new to this and have never done things like slipstreaming etc.

You'll need to familiarize yourself with NLite and how it works and also find the appropriate X64 AHCI drivers for XP

Windows XP 64 is not really Windows XP.
It's just Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 with an XP user interface shell.
Its service packs are also developed separately. Service Pack 2 is the last released service pack for Windows XP x64 Edition. There was no Service Pack 3.
Not even most Microsoft developers know this. You cannot use WinXP 64 for upgrades because in their wisdom, Microsoft developers programmed later versions of Windows to actually think there was a SP3 for WinXP 64, which there never was - because WinXP 64 is not Windows XP. So they have a SP3 requirements for WinXP 64 - even though no such thing exists.
Real Windows XP is a 32-Bit ONLY OS. So you are using Windows Server 2003 not Windows XP when you use WinXP 64.

You need to use external drives for storage over 2TB under Windows XP. You cannot bypass this limitation by partitioning the drive into 2TB or less partitions.
You must use an external drive for storage capacities over 2TB.

Last edited:
Back