• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Install windows XP on an Asus Z87 Maximus Hero Vi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
So Asus doesn't have any drivers for the Maximus Hero Z87 for Windows Xp on the webpage. I was told I can get the Z87 Chipset drivers from Intel but my biggest issue is the Sata drivers, when trying the install XP on the hard drive it doesn't see the a hard drive installed in the system. Is there anyway to install XP on this motherboard? It's for benching purposes and I do have Win 7 on it already. I am planning on running a separate Xp benching drive if possible.

Integrate AHCI drivers into Windows XP Installation CD using nLite. Unzip and read:

Attachments

• nLite 1.4.9.3.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,632
Will putting the AHCI drivers on my NLite CD able XP to see the HD?

Last edited:
Janus was saying in Funsouls 580 thread that it should work just by setting the drive to IDE. Have you tried that?

I figured there was more to it than just that. Didn't work for me either.

I'm burning a Nlite as we speak with the AHCI drivers, I'll report back with any findings.

Good thread. I gave up with XP and benching in Z87 since there are no drivers available... :(

Damn you were the people I though would have the answers for me. :( Well working on the 2nd copy of n lite the 1st one said it was corrupted, well see.

Last edited:
Well here's where I'm at, I have the AHCI drivers installed on the Nlite CD with XP sp 3 on it. When I have the sata configuration set to AHCI it just Blue screens when windows goes to load, When the Sata config set to IDE Native or Legacy, tried both, it can't find an installed hard drive to load windows on.

I never tried on Z87, but I benched my 2600k and 3770K on XP. Could try installing onto a known working xp-capable machine and moving the HDD over and installing any chipset drivers you can find?
Janus let me see if I'm understanding what your saying. I do have a Asrock Ext 4 Z77/2500k setup, you're saying load Xp on that system and then install the chipset drivers and or any other Z87 drivers I can find on it. Then hook the HD up to the Z87/4770k system? It would probably be better if it were an Asus board but I could give it a try.

Worth a shot I would say, don't need to pre-install drivers (probably won't be able to) but get XP installed and to the desktop and then swap the HDD into another. Hopefully it will just prompt to install drivers.

Well like you said it can't hurt to try, I give it a whirl and see. It probably will not happen till tomorrow. I'll report back with the progress. I did just try using a HD that I have for my Fx 8350 with XP on it but it blue screened every time it went to load XP, whether it was set to AHCI or IDE Native/Legacy. :(

I never tried on Z87, but I benched my 2600k and 3770K on XP. Could try installing onto a known working xp-capable machine and moving the HDD over and installing any chipset drivers you can find?

It is at least possible:
http://hwbot.org/submission/2407218_andreyang_superpi___32m_core_i7_4770k_4min_33sec_188ms

Double edit: looking in the HWBot forums:
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=77697

It says for gigabyte, but the chipset drivers I would imagine would be cross-compatible.
Great find on the Giga. I can use that on the Z87 OC I would imagine. :)

I tried any Intel INF I could google for XP!!

It's installed and running, part of it was my fault. When I switched drives I hooked the new drive to the Asmedia controller. So I switched it to the Intel Sata controller set it to IDE and used the NLite disk with the AHCI Drivers c627627 linked above. Next step will be getting the chipset drivers on it.

I found these chipset drivers any idea of which one I should try?

One is a zip, one is exe. That is the only difference. Do you want to have to unzip and extract, or just double click (exe).

It's installed and running, part of it was my fault. When I switched drives I hooked the new drive to the Asmedia controller. So I switched it to the Intel Sata controller set it to IDE and used the NLite disk with the AHCI Drivers c627627 linked above. Next step will be getting the chipset drivers on it.

I found these chipset drivers any idea of which one I should try?

Nice to see it will actually work!

Back