• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Install windows XP on an Asus Z87 Maximus Hero Vi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
manny, I'm just waiting till I feel like it, so much going on right now and WAY TO MUCH family uproar and dispair to get on with it, I still need another shot of everclear.........

it's going to be, win7, puppy linux, win XP PRO and win10 when it's released.

If that's what you want to boot, I'd recommend using XOSL.
I use it for my Retro rig and my triple boot craptop.

Works like a charm everytime.
What I do is make the partitions, them hide them all except for one for one of them, then install an OS, hide the freshly installed OS and unhide another blank partition. Install OS and repeat.

There's got to be a faster way, but that's how I do it because I know XP will overwrite the boot sector for Windows 98 and stuff because XP has a bootmanager built in.

I think GRUB has bootmanager for booting Windows an Linux but I'm not sure.
If so then you might not need this.

Ok set the system up today, installed the XP drivers from realtek drivers R2.74 and the speakers work

Mandrake, man, if you weren't like 4700 miles away, I would have come right now and would have had a couple of beers with you! :cheers:
Thank you very very very much! Like, extremely much! :)

Then, I'm getting the board tomorrow first thing after work!

Beer Me!!!! :D I love beer!!!

I was curious myself so last night I started hooking up the water block to it and fired it up this morning. I needed to do a run for our monthly benching contest, see here, so that was part of the reason why. Anyhow, the sound worked fine after I installed that driver so it seems it's good to go. I like the board a lot, so you should be happy with your purchase. :cheers:

Hi,

It's off the main topic, but I apologize in advance. Just wanted to share the joy :clap:

I received my 4790K today. Unfortunately, the Hero VI was already sold, so I got the Z87-Pro! (earlier I found out both use the same ALC1150 codec by Realtek so hopefully the same drivers should work fine)
I will share my experience with installing XP64 along all the necessary drivers as soon as I find the time to do it. Unfortunately, I got some extra work for today, so...maybe tomorrow :D

Last edited:
I will share my experience with installing XP64...

Windows XP and Windows XP 64-Bit are very different things.

WinXP 64 is actually Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 with WinXP User Interface. It is not Windows XP as we know it.
Because Windows XP x64 Edition comes from a different codebase than 32-bit Windows XP, its service packs are also developed separately.
Service Pack 2 is the last released service pack for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. There was no Service Pack 3.

Last edited:
Windows XP and Windows XP 64-Bit are very different things.

Yeah, I know :)

I've been using XP64 for like 6-7 years now and haven't had a single issue with it. Plus I need the extra memory supported.
Sharing the same kernel as Server 2003 x64 also has it's advantages:
- It's as stable as the Server edition (much more stable than XP32)
- according to numerous tests I've done, performance wise, it's the fastest Windows to this day
- it's still getting all the security patches that come out for the server edition ;)

I don't want to sound like I'm selling the thing, but it's the best x64 OS to suit my needs. I do a lot of sound recording / editing and for this purpose it's still unbeaten.

Yeah, you can't run any newer games which use DX10+ or which specifically require the Service Pack 3 installed, but that's fine with me cause I rarely play games and when I do, I can always switch to Win7 or whatever.

As for the drivers, from my experience, if there are drivers that work fine with the x86 version, then for sure there are drivers for the x64 edition as well.
The only device I could never find a suitable driver for is an old Sony Ericsson K750 phone, but personally I can live with that.

Last edited:
I hear you.
Are you saying that your reasons are stability and speed over Windows 8?

For me, the reasons are functional, just to mention one: I reboot into WinXP to move files and folders around, you can't group them under Windows 7/8 anywhere except on Desktop...

Well, functionality is the other thing, but the looks and feel perception is quite personal and since most people nowadays refer to it as archaic I didn't want to go into that direction :)
I do like it more than Win7 and definitely more than Win8+ but still that's personal. Productivity on the other hand is not. It's faster than Win8, yes :)

Maybe Win8 is as stable, but this doesn't make it better, just equal to XP64.

I have a custom Windows XP start button on Windows 8 and all the Windows XP buttons on Windows 8.
So Windows 8 modified like this:

Windows XP.png

Toolbar.png

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...l-in-Win-8-1?p=7758666&viewfull=1#post7758666

I dual booted with Vista then triple booted with Win7 and now quadruple boot with Windows 8.
Windows 8 is the first OS that actually feels faster than any of the other three, with all identical programs being installed.

Once again, I am a big fan of Windows XP for a few big reasons related to functionality but Windows 8 is problematic only if Classic Shell is not installed, all things being equal. Once Classic Shell is on - the speed you can actually feel becomes evident. Nothing earth shattering but you can feel it. Really the only reason I am posting is to share with you my Windows XP Start Menu button and Windows XP - like Explorer buttons which may come in handy if you are forced to use a non-WinXP computer one day ;)

Hello,
Sorry for posting back so late, but I haven't had the time to put the new system together.
Furthermore, I had some strange issues with the mobo that I had to figure out how to overcome.

I got XP x64 running like a charm on Asus Z87-Pro with i4790K!!! (Even got the BT and WiFi working fine :))
(still I've got few things to figure out yet, like a working driver for Intel's USB controller. Not that's it's not currently working, it's just saying it's missing a driver...and something called AMDA)

I've also done some benching on it - still faster than Win8.1 :attn:

When I have more time, and when I achieve perfection on the installation, I'm planning on doing a complete guide and posting it back here over the forum.

I did finally get the ahci drivers to load on my z87 board within xp. pretty happy now

I thought this might be useful for anyone who wants to slipstream the AHCI drivers to their XP disc. I spent a bit of time messing with this but have it working now. So to save others some headaches here we go.

Here's the drivers View attachment intel drivers.zip

Now here's the one you want to select when using Nlite for the process

Capture2.JPG

Back