• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX R7 250 - Dual-Link DVI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randyman...

Hi all,

I just bought a cheapish XFX R7 250 card to allow 2560x1440 on my new Dell U2713HM. I was content with Intel HD4000 Graphics until the need to surpass 19x12 arose with the new monitor (I'm NOT a gamer!).

I attempted to do some research before the purchase, and details on the DVI Dual-Link support were scarce (even on XFX's own website!). The card obviously supports 4K over DP, so I figured all would be good with DVI. I found one retail webpage that indicated it had a DVI-D DL port in the specs.

However, after trying 2 different Dual-Link DVI cables, I can not get more than 1080P resolution. I have all current drivers (both AMD driver and the Dell Monitor driver).

Using VGA with the card will allow VGA's max 2048x1152 (visibly scaled), but DVI is a no-go past 1080P.

Does this card really not support Dual-Link DVI??? The DVI port has the Dual-Link pin arrangement (the Dual Link DVI Cables mate to the card properly).

If not, what is a recommendation for a $100-$150 card that is nice and quiet (very important) and pulls little power that will support Dual-Link DVI or DisplayPort @ 2560x1440? I can still return the XFX card for a few more days...

Thanks for any help :cool:

That caps @ 1080P - Tried it just to make sure ;)

It would appear there is no Dual-Link DVI support on this card then?

Thanks for your reply! :cool:

The specs for that card list this at Newegg..... not sure then.
Analog: 2048 x 1536
Digital: 4096 x 2160 (HDMI)

Now that I look at that again, I think those resolutions are dual monitor resolutions and if that's true then I don't think the card supports the resolution you need for that monitor.

Filtering Newegg by dvi outputs (there is a 1x single like + 1x dual link option in the filter) spits out an evga gt520 with a dual link dvi for 49.99. Having not owned one I can't say how loud or quiet the fan is bit those non gamer cards tend to be on the quiet side.

Going down the list some there is a sapphire flex 7770 that would probably also be pretty quiet at 119.99. And it has displayport and a dual link dvi.

Thanks for the replies - I guess I'll return the card and look into the recommendations listed above.

Rock on :cool:

I ordered a Gigabyte R7 260X with the nice big fan and a few DP cables. I decided to stick with the current R series instead of reverting back to the 7770 line (probably not much different - both 28nm GCN IIRC). Hopefully this will fix me up :)

The XFX will be going back to Amazon first thing Monday...

Thanks all - Rock and roll! :cool:

Last edited:
PS (for anyone wondering) - I gave the HD5770 "XXX" listed in my sig to a friend and swapped to the integrated 3750K HD4000 graphics a year or so ago (I was looking to lower BTU output, kWh consumption and fan noise in combination with my old 24" 19x12 Dell 2407 monitor). But I still had an old HD4650 laying around. I popped it in out of curiosity, and lo and behold - 2560X1440 is here via DVI!

I find it slightly comical that this fairly old (2009) HD4650 supports Dual Link DVI when the shiny new 2013 XFX R7 250 mentioned in my original post does not...

I'm still going to swap in the Gigabyte R7 260X when I get it (using a DP cable), but the HD4650 is really all I need for my real-world PC usage needs.

As you were :cool:

Last edited:
Back