• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do all 7x cards have coil whine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Betcha it's the PSU.
Some PSUs whine when paired with some GPUs.

Whine type noises are extremely hard to locate inside a PC case, I can easily see a noise coming from a PSU sounding like a GPU whine, especially if you're already assuming it's the GPU.
Why? Because I have.

My HIS 7850 does but I don't know it's its coming from my HDTV when there is a pure white screen on it say google I hear a slight whining in my ear when it does and if I go to another page it stops.

Running with a HDMI cable so I believe it is that

Now I've put the side panel back on I can't hear any noise from the R9 270x I just got.
I could hear the Sapphire 7870 from across the room. Sent it back now anyway.
Don't think I'll be buying Sapphire again.

one tip for most cards that whine terribly ... enable v-sync :) , especially new cards are like more fps = louder noise

My Asus DC2 7970 had really bad coil whine when I first installed it. I just upped the voltage and left it on the Crysis menu screen, 2500+fps for two hours and never heard it again. On most cards I have owned I always hear coil whine until I break them in and the worst card was a 560ti that whined for three weeks until it finally stopped.

Funny you should say that, as I was reading this thread I started to wonder if that whine could get thrashed out - then I see your comment :cool:

My current Asus 7950 Direct CUII TOP card is totally silent except in Very Rare extreme conditions where some silly benchmarks have allowed ridiculous fps.

Hoping my newly ordered Sapphire 290X will be as quiet ^^

Back