• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Freezes When Copying at 100 mbps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoMoses

I recently got a 4 port compaq 10/100 switch, and every time I try to copy data to my computer at 100 mbps my computer freezes.

It freezes sometimes when I am copying data from my computer to another computer, about 1 out of every 10 times.

I rarely have problems when I am copying data at 10 mbps. It might freeze 1 out of every 100 times.

I originally thought that this was my network card's fault, so I bought a new one. I am currently running a Belkin F5D5000 10/100. The old one was some cheap Realtek 10/100 given to me by a friend.

This problem has been ongoing, so in an effort to fix it, I have also reinstalled Windows 2000 Pro. The problem is still here.

Has anyone ever had this problem before? I'm perplexed, and don't know what to do? Is it my computer hardware? Is it the switch?

I don't think the problem is in the switch, because there are 3 other users hooked up to it who can copy at 100 mbps with no problems. I'm the only one who has this problem.

Ever since the reinstall of Win2K, I've been running at 10X133 so the PCI/AGP busses are all in spec. It's not really pushing my processor, either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does your motherboard have the VIA 686B southbridge and do you have a Soundblaster Live! If so that may be the problem. If you have a different VIA chipset or no SB Live then try reinstalling the 4 in 1 drivers.

OK, here's a pic of my southbridge. I guess that's the 686B you were talking about. I don't have a soundblaster Live, I'm using the onboard audio right now.

When I reinstalled Win2K, I installed version 4.37 of the 4 in 1 drivers, the latest available from ASUS. I hoped this would fix the problem, but I was wrong.

Anybody else got any Ideas? I'm at my wit's end. Is this a chipset problem? Is it a problem with the compaq switch? Could this be a wiring problem? Is all CAT5 10/100 compatible?

If it helps, here's all the stuff in my case not in my signature.

Lite-ON 32123S CD-RW (problem exists with or without this installed)
Creative 12X DVD-ROM
Cheap floppy drive.
FireWire Card (problem exists with or without this card installed)
Modem Blaster Modem
Belkin 10/100 network card

Last edited:
Ok, after a few days searching around I found some stuff at the VIA forums. Apparently my network card didn't like the PCI slot it was living in, but when I was using it at 10 Mbps it didn't usually hog enough resources to be noticed. But when operating at 100 Mbps, it would almost always cause a crash.

Luckily the fix was easy. I just moved the card to a different PCI slot and all works wonderfully! :D

Back