• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making the change to Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bijiont

Hello everyone,

I am sure you see this topic far to often and I do apologize. I will keep this thread short and sweet.

I am changing over from AMD to Intel considering AMD is showing no 2014 road map for anything but APU's. I have some Intel experience with my i2600k F@H machines but that is about it in terms of hardware.

In terms of an upgrade (see signature) which will be used for gaming and such what would I be looking at? I am thinking 4770k but in terms of a board well this is where I don't know which are quality for overclocking.

I am going to re-use most of my stuff with the exception of the CPU block as that is in need of an update considering it is a v1 with v2 top apogee XT (old school).

Any input is appreciated and I will try and read a few more gear comparisons to get a better grasp on the hardware.

Pretty common recommendations for boards are the Gigabyte UD5H, the ASRock Extreme6, and there are a few from Asus that I can't remember off the top of my head.

What is your budget like for boards? I wouldn't spend much (if any) over $175-ish for general overclocking and usage unless there are specific features that are needed.

I generally spend anywhere from $150-$250 for boards.

I have had great luck with ASUS boards but again this is with AMD. I was looking at ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO but don't want to go based on just my previous experience.

Not really any budget limits but I am not going to go out and drop $600 either on a board.

I just ordered ASRock Z87M OC Formula. It's matx board but price is low and has many really good OC results. From other boards you can also take a look at Gigabyte Z87X-OC. Something like Hero but slightly cheaper and at least for me looks better ( pcie slots etc ).

I generally spend anywhere from $150-$250 for boards.

I have had great luck with ASUS boards but again this is with AMD. I was looking at ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO but don't want to go based on just my previous experience.

Not really any budget limits but I am not going to go out and drop $600 either on a board.

I just helped a buddy build with a hero and we had a very good experience, I haven't heard any issues from him since the build completed.

Hero is pretty good board from what I see on the forums. Generally it's easier to find good Z87 board than Z77 or Z67/68.

Thanks for the replies. Will place an order for the Hero board and with any luck my ASUS experience will be good on Intel as well. May do a little reading on how it handles voltage before I finalize my order.

Thanks again.

Back