• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Armor+ LCS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nyx

I have a thermaltake armor +lcs I got a few years ago. I am currently using it on a asus pst deluxe v2. I will be upgrading to the gigabyte G1.sniper 5. And I was wondering if anyone has any tips on splitting the cooling tubes in the thermaltake lcs. Right now I am only liquid cooling my cpu. I would like to be able to use the liquid cooling that is built into the motherboard itself and the processor at the same time. Is this possible?

Are you asking if you can run parallel flow? I'm not familiar with the stated LC system.

Yeah, it was built into the case when I got it. Its all inside nothing reservoir outside. It has 2 outlets on it, one for in and one for out, but I was wondering about splitting the tubing to have 4 in and 4 out so I could cool CPU and the Mobo

Nope, that won't work. Parallel flow is quite bad when you have unequal restriction. Also, cooling the mobo hasn't been relevant since LGA775 (though if you argued for LGA1366, I'd roll my eyes and agree just so you would stop being pedantic)...so I'd encourage you not to waste your money on that. Finally, Thermaltake WC gear, pretty much uniformly, is junk. It does ok, but not great. I would never mix TT gear with good WC gear.

Intersting, I wasnt planning on cooling the motherboard, but the board has it built into it so I figured why not. Personally I have had no issues with my TT cooling, although it is only on the cpu, I have a 1st gen i7 920 2.66 oc'ed to 3ghz and computer is on almost 24x7. The new board is 1150 socket, and was going to do i4770k. Hmm.

Last edited:
You'll hurt your CPU temps for no gain if you WC the board...especially because I bet the pump is weak. I was running my 920s and 930s at about 4.0-4.2 (I kept swapping trying to find better chips :D) and on my way overkill CPU only loop I wouldn't see temps over 70C, and that was with serious voltage because I was pushing the ram pretty hard too.

The issue with thermaltake is that their systems are not designed well an are not compatible with other manufactuers' stuff. They use weirdly sized tubes, they use mixed metals, a lot of their rads are serial flow, which is horrendous in terms of restriction. I guess to put it generally: they just generally don't adhere to anything that's considered good design practice for WC gear.

I got a Thermaltake Armor+ LCS too and now i want to upgrade to a 1150 or a 2011 socket.

My question is can i use the old waterblock or do i need a new CPU clip like this one?

Unfortunately this upgradekit is not available anymore.... and is only for Socket LGA1366/1156.

I got a Thermaltake Armor+ LCS too and now i want to upgrade to a 1150 or a 2011 socket.

My question is can i use the old waterblock or do i need a new CPU clip like this one?

Unfortunately this upgradekit is not available anymore.... and is only for Socket LGA1366/1156.

Welcome to OCFs.

I would never use that system to cool any CPU in today's market. Its a very bad water cooling kit. If you're on a budget, I'd look at XSPC starter kits. Not sure if that case was a wise pick if you're considering going into water cooling. You'll have to modify it or hang radiators outside of that already big case.

Big water kits were decent kits in LGA775 times and could tackle 65nm quad core processors with ease. I have no doubt that it can cool modern processors with modern CPU block that is optimized for low flow loops.
The thing is that you wont be overclocking or adding other components to it if you go for 100TDP range of processors.
That being said I still would advise upgrading your existing system with 10-12mm fittings and tubing and maybe a stronger pump. And for better cooling performance add another radiator.
EDIT: I am assuming its 240mm radiator.

Last edited:
Big water kits were decent kits

Its a horrible kit and wouldn't add anything to it. The designs of today out perform it lights out. Even the affordable parts and kits. The big water has aluminum in it and has been known to not be so reliable.

Jack is right, TT did/do use all aluminum radiators and I didn't remember that. If your radiator is all aluminum you should get rid of it.

Back