• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help moving windows 8 to SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

So I just got a new Lenovo ultrabook and I'd like to replace the HDD with an SSD. I thought I would go about replacing the drive and reinstalling windows like I always have, only to learn that things are going a bit different with Windows 8. The first thing I noticed was that there is no sticker with the CD key and later learned that the key is now embedded in the bios for OEM machines with Windows 8. Apparently the key is automatically found if your use the OEM recovery discs to reinstall windows. The problem is my ultrabook has no DVD drive and I did not receive any recovery discs with the laptop.

So it seems I have two options for replacing my HDD with an SSD and reinstalling Windows 8.

1) I can spend $60 to get the recovery discs from Lenovo and $20 to get an external DVD drive, then I can reinstall Windows 8 as normal.

2) I can buy an SATA to USB adapter and download some software to clone my HDD to the SSD.

The first option is more expensive and I'd like to avoid spending an extra $80 to replace my hard drive. The second option seems more risky with a higher risk of failure (I've heard cloning doesn't always work as advertised).

I'd be willing to try the cloning method, but my HDD has 5 or 6 different partitions and I'm worried they won't all be cloned properly. Has anyone successfully upgraded their Windows 8 laptop to an SSD and been able to get the OEM windows 8 reinstalled? Are there any alternatives I'm not thinking of?

I'm really liking your thinking on option #2. It's not really that risky. Certainly if you have any issues, your HDD is still installed and working properly at this time, correct?

I'm really liking your thinking on option #2. It's not really that risky. Certainly if you have any issues, your HDD is still installed and working properly at this time, correct?

Correct. I can't imagine any way that the HDD could get messed up in the cloning process. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether or not the many different Windows 8 partitions will all be cloned properly. If they don't, I suppose I'll still have the original HDD working just fine to fall back on.

I really DO NOT like that I don't have any Windows 8 discs because I've always done clean installs from discs in the past. I also do not want to spend $60 to get the discs from Lenovo (seems an outrageous price).

Are you sure that laptop doesn't have an option to create your own restore disks? Most do now days.

You could also take your old SATA HDD and the new SSD and plug them into a desktop PC and clone them there. No need to buy anything that way.

Are you sure that laptop doesn't have an option to create your own restore disks? Most do now days.

I believe it does have a way to create restore discs, but I was under the impression that the restore discs had to be used in conjunction with the recovery partitions on the original HDD. So if I were to pop it a brand new SSD and try to use the restore discs it wouldn't find the necessary files on the non-existent recovery partitions. Am I wrong on that?

You could also take your old SATA HDD and the new SSD and plug them into a desktop PC and clone them there. No need to buy anything that way.

That is brilliant! I was just looking at USB to SATA cables and wishing I didn't have to spend the money. Not sure why I didn't think of putting both drives in my desktop to clone...

They asked me at Office Depot if I wanted them to make me backup discs since Laptops do not come with any labels for Windows keys any more or discs of any kind, I said no but made a backup of all partitions before booting into Windows for the first time. I think there were four hidden partitions. Had to disable secure boot, switch away from UEFI to make backups.

Good thing I did because somehow when trying to restore from hidden partition the process erased the entire partition table. I had to format the hard drive to GPT then reinstall all five partitions, then switch back to UEFI to be back in business. I recommend making a manual backup of any laptop you buy, for when the hard drive fails and it will some day.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

I know Samsung SSD's come with cloning software. Simply plug in the NEW SSD run the clone software and then remove the old HDD. Poof, cloned and ready to go.

Z

You can definitely clone it. My classmate just did the same thing you're trying to do with his Windows 7 Lenovo laptop. He did use the SATA to USB cable to clone the drive but I would recommend doing a fresh recovery install on the SSD.

Windows 8 has to option of creating recovery media to either discs or flash drive (16gb or 32gb). Hold Windows key and press "W", this will open a search bar for everything withing the computer. Type in "recovery" and it will bring up a menu in which you should be able to find "create recovery media" follow instructionnes and you'll be set. Pop in the new SSD and boot from the media you created!

Enjoy your new SSD!

Back