• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 and FX8320 Won't Post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Veman

New board new CPU, won't Post, no beeps. Tried a Sempron CPU, system posts and beeps. Upgraded BIOS to latest version. Removed Sempron and installed FX 8320, problem continues, no beeps no post. I have a 600W PSU and Kingston 1066 4GB memory stick .... any suggestion?

Two things:

One, I wouldn't run an 8320 on that board because the power draw will cook the VRM.
Two, have you tried the CPU in another board?

Hello

Cannot test it on another board, however, I have a second 8320 CPU from a previous built, tried it, same problem.

Try different ram if possible, The fX weren't taking to kindly to some Kinston kits.
Also did you clear CMOS after BIOS upgrade??

Haven't tried the CMOS clean up. Will do. Let me see if I can get a different memory stick

That is a 95w board. You put a 120w chip in it. Tread lightly Im afraid. Maybe underclocking/undervolting may help get some stability and life out of that board?

try clearing cmos (remove battery) after the reflash, reseat, clear cmos and keep trying.

i had this mobo for an FX4100, take the motherboard back, trust me!

That is a 95w board. You put a 120w chip in it. Tread lightly Im afraid. Maybe underclocking/undervolting may help get some stability and life out of that board?

Or, don't use a motherboard that doesn't have a TDP lower than your CPU at all.
Its not a good combination, especially with FX equipment. It ends in burned out VRMs.

yea, that's never going to work.
I tried a 4170 on my m5a97 R2.0 and it was nothing short of a disaster.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708988&highlight=M5A78L-M/USB3
Overclocking "ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, Socket-AM3+"

One particular post from that thread above.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7581111&postcount=18
I joined just to post, I have this motherboard.

The thread below should be about the full ATX version of the same board M5A78L-M/USB3 which is micro ATX I believe.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726784&highlight=M5A78L-M/USB3
Overclocking an FX 4100 on Asus M5A78L
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7410053&postcount=5
LLC is completely unpredictable on this motherboard.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735925&highlight=M5A78L-M/USB3
Overclocking Asus M5A7L-M/USB3 << he has not bought the mobo yet.
A post from this thread
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7532094&postcount=2

Those are three threads already in the OCforums sections about those cheaper ASUS M5A78L-M type motherboards.

His board starts with a deneb type cpu but not either of two FX-8320 cpus and it is completely doubtfull that any FX cpu is bad much less two of them in a row.
RGone...

im no longer a noob but still got that hint ^^^

the mobo would be fine for something like a web browser, but with 8 mighty cores... no way!

i gave mine away in a competition with an fx4100

let's work on getting it to post guys, then he can at least run it stock.

have you done a full cmos reset? if not please do so.

let's work on getting it to post guys, then he can at least run it stock.

have you done a full cmos reset? if not please do so.

Well if I where to come in and give suggestions, I'd start by asking about this mystery 600w PSU.

I have a 600W PSU

OK so what make and model? How old is it? Are the rails balanced to load all the hw evenly? Are you trying to run a big Gpu?

Heck there's no system specs yet! :shock:

Googled M5A78L-M/USB3 amd FX 8320 Won't Post

and I found that the OP has not responded back to his thread at another site about the same problem.

Also found similar situation to his; that the same mobo (M5A78L-M/USB3) would not post when swapping to an FX-8 core processor. In all cases not just in this forum, it was suggested that the 8 core was too too much for that mobo in extended use.

In addition it is possible that his power supply maybe multi-railed on the +12V and if so the +12V rails may not be powerful enough for an 8core processor at the 8 pin feed for the cpu.

So the variable for no post are not so very simple.
RGone...

and I found that the OP has not responded back to his thread at another site about the same problem.

Also found similar situation to his; that the same mobo (M5A78L-M/USB3) would not post when swapping to an FX-8 core processor. In all cases not just in this forum, it was suggested that the 8 core was too too much for that mobo in extended use.

In addition it is possible that his power supply maybe multi-railed on the +12V and if so the +12V rails may not be powerful enough for an 8core processor at the 8 pin feed for the cpu.

So the variable for no post are not so very simple.
RGone...

Maybe he didn't has the money for a better board?

Just trying to help a guy.

I spent low $$ on this board to purposely kill it..... and it still runs :shrug:

Proofs in the pooding, can have my brother get me an SS this weekend if you guys want. His Wife uses it daily. ( edit - uses a Phenom II not an 8 core. board still works is the point jic)

Me personally I dont' have a problem with no more money for buying a mobo. In that situation, one needs to buy a processor more likely to work in the no more money mobo. Something like a Deneb or Thuban at that point.

There is a user right now in the AMD Cpu Forum section that was testing an FX-8150 cpu in his board and after he found he could only reach X speed, he finally told us he was thinking to trade for the FX-8150 but at the speeds he was able to run the FX-8150, the 1055T he had had in the board was scoring better in his benches. And he gamed mostly, so he was not going to finalize the trade for the 8 core but keep his 1055T. Now that is a proof of the pudding as it were for that user.

If two FX-8320s won't boot in the OPs board then it is likely a board or power issue. If he RMAs the board, the law of averages say that the replacement board is still not well suited for FX 8 core use. Now it is the law of aveages that most of us are referring to. Too many of the boards failing when the VRMs are over-stressed take out more than just the board. I know that and respond with that in mind when continuing to work with what in the long-run will be a stressed mobo.

I try to think ahead for the user since he bought himself into a corner to begin with and that buying seems likely to create a costly situation later that he does not see the possiblity of happening any more than he saw the possible problem with cheap mobo and high current drawing FX processor.

Buying cheap to see if it will blow up is okay for those doing it going in with their eyes wide-open, but perhaps not so neat for those without such idea in mind.

Most of the advice we normally give is toward trouble-free use over a long range period of time. Buds and I do things we do our best not to let the general population see since they then seem to think wiell so and so could do it and it must be okay. Far from okay likely in the long-run use.
RGone...

This board should be capable of using the FX series 8 core cpus, as I used an FX-8350 in mine. One word of note however, is that this board will not last a very long time if you use said cpu, as it WILL burn out the CPU power-regulator. It takes about a year to do this, but keep that in mind.

Back