• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclockers dream cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hell I just want a 2500K. :D

Outdated by 2 generations, but still a viable choice for gaming, and maybe some cpu cryptomining.

I've got one. My motherboard doesn't overclock. :(

NOSTALGIA TIME:

Intel has generally had better overclocking chips than AMD, I believe. At least in terms of clock speed (including pre/post netburst). The Pentium D 805 was a beast back in the day, for what it was. Intel has historically popped out hot chips on a semi regular basis. Stuff like the 805, the Q6600, a bunch of the C2D chips overclocked super well actually.

Everything post 775 has been downhill though. 1366 was alright although I recall it had something weird with the notfsb or multi, I forget which. Still a great OC platform in terms of tweaking compared to the new stuff. SB>IB>HW has just been less options and overclocking more of this sorta walled garden that intel lets us play in rather than really taking a chip and going to town on it.

As for a dream chip, I really wish there was a non multi locked E8x00 chip. E8600s were close to running 5ghz daily on good water loops if my memory serves, and that includes running crazy high FSB due to the low multi. I imagine if intel didn't have that we would be seeing some super slick speeds/scores from those chips.

I've got one. My motherboard doesn't overclock. :(

NOSTALGIA TIME:

Intel has generally had better overclocking chips than AMD, I believe. At least in terms of clock speed (including pre/post netburst). The Pentium D 805 was a beast back in the day, for what it was. Intel has historically popped out hot chips on a semi regular basis. Stuff like the 805, the Q6600, a bunch of the C2D chips overclocked super well actually.

Everything post 775 has been downhill though. 1366 was alright although I recall it had something weird with the notfsb or multi, I forget which. Still a great OC platform in terms of tweaking compared to the new stuff. SB>IB>HW has just been less options and overclocking more of this sorta walled garden that intel lets us play in rather than really taking a chip and going to town on it.

As for a dream chip, I really wish there was a non multi locked E8x00 chip. E8600s were close to running 5ghz daily on good water loops if my memory serves, and that includes running crazy high FSB due to the low multi. I imagine if intel didn't have that we would be seeing some super slick speeds/scores from those chips.

You can't OC the 2500K?? :shock:

The best overclocking CPU i had was a 2700K cool as a cucumber and rock steady, it really did a good job for me!! ;) :thup:

As for now my 4960X CPU, its just some thing else in the right kind of Mobo with the right cooling. My first Hex core and these really work well and as Woomack said, quite robust as well. :) :salute:

AJ.

Nope, motherboard is a Hsomething or whatever, early ITX thing. No multi adjust. :cry:

Ohhh! The H chipset! I have a H61 based mobo, and with a bit of BIOS modding, I unlocked the Multiplier adjustment setting ;)

Other than that, H61 boards suck :p

I had P1 setup back in the day. I had it quite a while and my first experience with overclocking was when I was about 10 years old. I remember when we went shopping for better cpu cooler, gfx card and ram and bumped the good ol P1 from 133Mhz to 166Mhz, added some ram and voodoo gfx card.
Later I upgraded to P2 which died quite quickly, killed by lightning :D from there I had amd K6-2 533Mhz which didn't overclock at all. After that I got myself used p3 which died quickly since I over clocked it to a whopping 870Mhz.
Then I bought 2.4Ghz P4 which overclocked to 2.8Ghz if I remember correctly. That too died quite quickly despite being water cooled and I replaced it with Intel's 820D which sucked, so I sold it and bought q6600 that clocked easily to 3,6Ghz. I was happy with it quite a while and only recently upgraded again.
Now that you think of it, that's quite a bit of money there :O Maybe I should stop gaming and get myself a tablet or something.

Yeah, I remember switching from a Commadore 64C back in the day to a 386 which was probably my first I consider real computer.

That and upgrading the CPU in that thing and was probably the first OC type thing I ever did.

That I remember the old VooDoo's I had the 1 and 2.

The old Q6600 my sister-in-law is still using I pushed for my first 4+ is still being used, those are still pretty decent chips if you aren't gaming on high resolutions these days.

Cedar Mill Cellies. Only CPU that virtually guaranteed a 5+ ghz overclock on air.

I have my dream chip now i5 2500 the best I ever had performance and overclocking is easy. I love the clock multiplier and no FSB overcloking ,it's a dream come true unlocked CPU and I can keep my memory speed from changing and having to buy memory for my overclock like the old days, this is the best it will ever get.

I have my dream chip now i5 2500 the best I ever had performance and overclocking is easy. I love the clock multiplier and no FSB overcloking ,it's a dream come true unlocked CPU and I can keep my memory speed from changing and having to buy memory for my overclock like the old days, this is the best it will ever get.

:thup:
Nice! i5 2500 is what I want too.

Got 'er locked at 4.8 Ghz?

I actually had a lot of fun OC'ing all chips.

New to the thing (2010), but I LOVED all of them, with a preference for the Phenom II.

Finally got my 1075T [email protected] 24/7. Was quite some work, with multi locked and only FSB.

Finding the limit of my 2600K's was still a lot of fun.

2600k.
Easy, fast, no issues, plenty of overclocking.

Now from a bencher's standpoint, the SB age was incredibly annoying. Far too easy, far too simple, far to few extra MHz to be acquired with skills/knowledge.
980x gets my pick as my favorite CPU of all time. i3 540 is close too. Those were fun.
Or potentially the c2 Phenom II I got to 6GHz, that was very satisfying.

If you want to learn OCing, 775 is a lovely place to start. Grab a couple cheap Conroe/Wolfdale chips and a decent motherboard (if you can find one), and have at.
Or buy a LGA1150 setup and Intel's Overclocking Warranty (if it still exists). If you blow the chip up you can RMA it with absolutely no negative Karma.
FX is decently entertaining as well.

EDIT:
To be fair, my perspective is probably slightly different than some. This is probably the most entertaining thing I ever overclocked, an AMD HD3450 GPU. That's right, a cheap bargain basement special.
But you know what? I was able to get that card to run 3D03 faster than anybody else, ever.
That's satisfying.

Here's some perspective on my perspective. When I overclock, it generally looks like this (this is said 3450):

852839.jpg

Last edited:
2600k.
Easy, fast, no issues, plenty of overclocking.

Now from a bencher's standpoint, the SB age was incredibly annoying. Far too easy, far too simple, far to few extra MHz to be acquired with skills/knowledge.
980x gets my pick as my favorite CPU of all time. i3 540 is close too. Those were fun.
Or potentially the c2 Phenom II I got to 6GHz, that was very satisfying.

If you want to learn OCing, 775 is a lovely place to start. Grab a couple cheap Conroe/Wolfdale chips and a decent motherboard (if you can find one), and have at.
Or buy a LGA1150 setup and Intel's Overclocking Warranty (if it still exists). If you blow the chip up you can RMA it with absolutely no negative Karma.
FX is decently entertaining as well.

EDIT:
To be fair, my perspective is probably slightly different than some. This is probably the most entertaining thing I ever overclocked, an AMD HD3450 GPU. That's right, a cheap bargain basement special.
But you know what? I was able to get that card to run 3D03 faster than anybody else, ever.
That's satisfying.

Here's some perspective on my perspective. When I overclock, it generally looks like this (this is said 3450):

View attachment 142772

That's pretty sweet right there. I've got a GTX 480. Was thinking of DICE/LN on it. Got pointers for that, I'm all ears as it would be my first frozen gpu.

I think one of my favorite chips was the 6400+. Just something about hitting 4ghz with a K8 AMD cpu just makes a fella feel good, so I know exactly what your talking about,

Funny thing is, most (more extreme fellas here) probably have some favorite overclocks with certain HW that just made the day or even monthly comp too. :thup:

Sandy Bridge based K CPU's were soldered to the IHS that made them a dream to overclock on just about any cooling solution

The down side was they did not scale with cold and max muti's could be found with simple water

You will want(need?) to franken board power onto that thing for proper LN2 abuse.

You mean PSU wires soldered to the 480 PCB correct?

What if I want to take some practice in running DICE first? Would I still need a mod like that?

I guess lastly, is the bios v-mod enough?

Back