• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclockers dream cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For core voltage there is a specific flavor of afterburner I believe. For memory voltage your choices are stock, or ripping the stock bits off and buying an epower for it.

You can also vmod it with a soldering iron for core voltage of course.
The memory bits fry if you vmod them though.

to me the first power house was using a Asus 865 based board with the CT-479 adpater to run a Dothan. stock speed was something like 1.6ghz, got it running to 2.4ghz on stock voltage. might have been able to go higher but temps for using non-modding hs mounting is where i was sticking. needless to say, with the higher fsb and 2.4ghz clock speed. it made for one good gaming rig back in the day, of course i played savage when i could as much as i could. game had a flaw in it that balista spin was fps based and when you unlocked your fps it could spin really fast. so they said i was cheating back in the day because of a FPS glitch to the balista. Of course the AMD fan boys in the game were calling me a lair about the Dothan being the better gaming cpu, which it was.

there is always some cpu thats in the wild that is the Golden overclockable cpu, be it from amd (ie athlon or FX) or Intel (ie P4,core 2, first gen i's).

my dream is being able to get a stock intel I series at 4ghz be it with HT or not. hell i run my 920 without HT to keep temps down. plus i really dont need HT, i dont encode/transcode videos, mostly just T:A these days when im in the mood or a bit of BL/BL2.

oh man I still want a dothan+ct479 setup and a voodoo 5 5500 for glide games :p and the heck of it.

dont forget the A3D Vortex SQ2500, one for sale in the classies. i have one on the shelf that still works, plus a small collection of V5 5500s, a few agp and PCI. rather use the pci, some how its actually faster then the agp ones. i wish i could find a PC bios for it, its a mac card, has a DVI connection. forget if i have one or two of the mac cards. they all have a 4pin molex connector on them for power.

floating around somewhere in my pile is a VIA based core 2 board. reason being i have it, the chipset is supported in Windows 98SE! though i never got it up and running, if i find all the parts it might be a big collection for sale in the classies in a month or so.

Yeah, I'll try to buy one eventually...importing stuff got real complicated here in Argentina though otherwise I would have bought a few more goodies already :(

My new x79 rig has been good to me, eventually I'll get a 4930k and a full wc loop for it and my gpus...and some pci voodoos :p

Out of all of the chips I've had my x5690 is probably my faveourite..

Although I did see a fellow at a site just like this with a retail x5660.. That thing was doing 4.8 at 1.45 and my E.S. was needing 1.55 to do it, so I dunno..

Last edited:
Back