• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclockers dream cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hollywood96

What would you all consider the perfect cpu to be overclocked under a normal enthusiasts circumstances. No ln2 no crazy underwater(literally) setups. On air and water cooling what is your opinion of the number one overclockable cpu. Can you overclock a 4960x better then a 4770k because its not the haswell arc. And why has neither intel or amd looked into a powerhouse cpu thats meant to be overclocked to the moon (high fx series maybe?).
Any thoughts are appreciated and please include personal experience with some chips if you have it.

And why has neither intel or amd looked into a powerhouse cpu thats meant to be overclocked to the moon
They have.
For AMD it was TWKR.

4960X is just Hot. So is the 4770K

Anything K series just OCs by the multiplier only...... I like bus clocking with the Multi personally.

I'd say anything on an AMD platform would be the way to go. 5.4-5.6ghz liquid on a FX-9590 would be pretty sweet while running 1100mhz effective Ram clocks.

Percentage wize, lower end 45nm arch clocks pretty high. Seen a lot of P4s doin 4-5ghz on liquid, Core 2 dual and quads clock like mad too.....

3.6ghz average on 6000+ 90nm Windsor chips is fun. 6400+ with outstanding DDR2 latency at stock.....

Come to think of it, all platforms has at least one dream chip ya?

Anything K series just OCs by the multiplier only...... I like bus clocking with the Multi personally.

I'd say anything on an AMD platform would be the way to go. 5.4-5.6ghz liquid on a FX-9590 would be pretty sweet while running 1100mhz effective Ram clocks.

Percentage wize, lower end 45nm arch clocks pretty high. Seen a lot of P4s doin 4-5ghz on liquid, Core 2 dual and quads clock like mad too.....

3.6ghz average on 6000+ 90nm Windsor chips is fun. 6400+ with outstanding DDR2 latency at stock.....

Come to think of it, all platforms has at least one dream chip ya?

I guess so. So with my understanding the larger architecture makes it easier to overclock because more power can be safely pumped through at a time. Correct?

Yup, each platform had its monster dream chip.

You are pretty much almost guaranteed a 1ghz-1.4ghz overclock on air with pretty much all of the good Intel chips, 65nm and up..

You never know what your going to get until you get it to stretch its legs :thup:

Personally, the first CPU's I found that were "monster" overclockers' were the Intel Core 2 Duo chips back in the day.

I overclocked a C2D E4400 (2.0GHz stock) to 3GHz (at less than stock voltage no less), an E4700 (2.6GHz stock) to 3.7GHz, and an E8400 (3GHz stock) to 4GHz. All on air cooling (upgraded aftermarket heatsinks of course).

Before that I had an AMD socket 754 setup, and the best overclock I could hope to get with my old Sempron was 300-400MHz above stock.

Intel also has/had the Extreme Edition CPU's that were marketed more to overclockers. i7 965, 975, 980X, 990X, 3960X, 3970X, 4960X, etc.

AMD's Black Edition CPU's and the FX CPU's were also marketed towards overclock-ability.

My fave 65nm chip was my 6300. 1.8 up to 3.8. My efforts were hampered by my crap ram, I wish I still had that chip. I have my rampage formula x48 and some g.skill that are good for 600 fsb :D

So you guys all seem to have been enthusiasts even back then. How much more tweaking was required to properly overclock a cpu. I really want tp get an old system to play around with but i dont want to drop a few on one if i aint got a clue going into it.

Edit: if you couldnt tell im young so thats why im asking a large plethora of questions i only just built my first system last summer yet a teacher of mine says id floor most people with what ik. Hence the large enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Opteron/San Diego 3700+ CACJE Is my favorite of all time. Blew the LGA775 intels out of the water back in the day before conroe was released.

Hell I just want a 2500K. :D

Outdated by 2 generations, but still a viable choice for gaming, and maybe some cpu cryptomining.

So you guys all seem to have been enthusiasts even back then. How much more tweaking was required to properly overclock a cpu. I really want tp get an old system to play around with but i dont want to drop a few on one if i aint got a clue going into it.

Edit: if you couldnt tell im young so thats why im asking a large plethora of questions i only just built my first system last summer yet a teacher of mine says id floor most people with what ik. Hence the large enthusiasm.

It's not just about the tweaking say the cpu, but also the operating system and overclocking software.

Then there is cooling. Who's gonna cool with what today??

I'm on Tap to drain method with a FX-8350 currently benching around 5.3ghz. Some times I run air as a comparison. Then I have a TEC to play with not to mention home made DryIce pots and LN2 jugs.....

Combine Bios with OS system and oc tweaks with the most important part (in my book) THE COOLING. So much modding and creations being made to spec, silent with killer temps, loud with loud lights. Case polishing, heck some guys sleep with their PC parts... for better or worse!

It's not just about the tweaking say the cpu, but also the operating system and overclocking software.

Then there is cooling. Who's gonna cool with what today??

I'm on Tap to drain method with a FX-8350 currently benching around 5.3ghz. Some times I run air as a comparison. Then I have a TEC to play with not to mention home made DryIce pots and LN2 jugs.....

Combine Bios with OS system and oc tweaks with the most important part (in my book) THE COOLING. So much modding and creations being made to spec, silent with killer temps, loud with loud lights. Case polishing, heck some guys sleep with their PC parts... for better or worse!

Yeah i understand the majority of this stuff i really just want to get to know the finer points of overclocking and such.

just want to get to know the finer points of overclocking and such.

Oh ***** why didn't you ask in the first place....

Practice.

EDIT:

wait you already answered this question.

So you guys all seem to have been enthusiasts even back then

Want advice on what HW to start off OCing and practicing on, I'd say find cheap stuff. That way if you break it, your not out a bunch of money.

Opteron/San Diego 3700+ CACJE Is my favorite of all time. Blew the LGA775 intels out of the water back in the day before conroe was released.

You've got a good point there. I was impressed by my 3700+ as well. Got me to 3.1GHz for benching (24/7 stable around 3GHz IIRC), would have taken a Pentium 4 775 CPU around 4.7-5GHz or so to have the equivalent performance.

Hell I just want a 2500K. :D

Outdated by 2 generations, but still a viable choice for gaming, and maybe some cpu cryptomining.

I'm looking even farther back than you. ;)

I just picked up an LGA1366 Core i7 930 so that I can upgrade to a newer platform.

So you guys all seem to have been enthusiasts even back then. How much more tweaking was required to properly overclock a cpu. I really want to get an old system to play around with but i dont want to drop a few on one if i aint got a clue going into it.

As for myself, I built my first system from scratch in 2006. Think I was eighteen at the time. You sound a bit like me when I first started out. I had a lot of questions back then too.

I read a lot of hardware reviews, overclocking guides, and cooling guides when I first started out. Didn't first attempt overclocking myself until 2008/2009 with my AMD socket 754 rig, overclocked my 1.8GHz single core Sempron to 2.1GHz. Could have gone higher, but my motherboard was of lower quality and just didn't have the durability to accommodate a high overclock.

Then, I bought a used board, which I used along with a free CPU and memory, and upgraded to Intel LGA775 in 2011 and quickly set about overclocking it. Didn't have a lot of money, so had to go with an older platform that I could afford.

As far as the amount of tweaking required, it really depends on what platform it is.

Last edited:

I don't know what about 4960X but my [email protected] ~1.4V is running at lower temps than [email protected] 1.25V. 4930K is also easier to overclock.

Easiest to overclock and cheap right now are 1st gen core i3/i5 1156 ( 530/540/550, 640/650 ... ). Easy 4.5GHz+ on air and nearly all chips can make these clocks without any issues.

I would say that haswell is best option ... if not really low chance to get good overclocking cpu. Most of them can barely run stable @4.5GHz and reasonable temps/voltage. Some will make 4.7GHz+ but as I said it's low %.

Other thing is if you are looking for good overclocking CPU or a good performing one. 2500/2600K can make 5GHz on water but their performance is about the same as 3570/3770K @4.7GHz or 4670/4770K @4.5GHz and it's as hard to set 5GHz on 2600K as 4.5GHz on 4770K.

I would say that from latest Intel series IB or IB-E are best. High oc, not heating too much, high resistance to degradation etc.

It's hard to say which cpu will be best as for most series a lot depends from luck ... and I have really bad luck to good overclocking CPUs.

Last edited:
yeah we seem to have started the same way i built my first one when i was 16 at the time. i managed to get a 4.7 overclock stable for benching on a 4770k. have it dropped to a 4.1 for everyday which should be plenty for my 780ti that ill be getting shortly. so in your opinion whats the best platform thats for cheap to start playing around with.

Back