• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I went broke... Cryptsy ate my funds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
So all my funds on Cryptsy just disappeared. I bought Doge as follows:

2014-02-11 20:44:08 Buy DOGE/BTC 0.00000287 BTC 254315.24059894 DOGE 0.001459770 BTC 0.73134451 BTC

I then later input a sell at .00000294, which would have filled within 5 minutes of me putting in the order... Except everything was gone. 254315 worth of Doge vanished... No withdraw, no transaction, nothing in history at all. Just vanished.

I input a support ticket at Cryptsy... Meanwhile I can't trade, so if the market crashes from this huge bubble and my Doge are returned I'll be murdered. If it's not returned at all it's over $450 worth of Doge just gone. If its returned as Doge and the market doesn't crash, it will be better for me.

Who knows how long it will take to get support, if it ever comes. Hopefully soon with the halvening coming, and with how volatile the market is right now... I haven't held Doge for any time, just day traded, so normally my funds would be safely in BTC, except when I'm day trading.

ive had coins go missing from cryptsy like that before, support was normally fairly quick about things

Ouch - hoping for a happy ending :(

I haven't exactly been holding all my Doge, but after I cashed out just enough to buy the next video card I've been holding since then and pretty much just mined straight Doge around the clock. Up to 42k now... wish it was more.

The high water mark at VoS was $0.0028 Cdn. per Doge today... even now they're still trading at about $0.002 USD there. Kind of makes me wish I'd waited a week to cash out 25k of them, but that would have set me back another week on the next card.

So all my funds on Cryptsy just disappeared. I bought Doge as follows:

2014-02-11 20:44:08 Buy DOGE/BTC 0.00000287 BTC 254315.24059894 DOGE 0.001459770 BTC 0.73134451 BTC

I then later input a sell at .00000294, which would have filled within 5 minutes of me putting in the order... Except everything was gone. 254315 worth of Doge vanished... No withdraw, no transaction, nothing in history at all. Just vanished.

I input a support ticket at Cryptsy... Meanwhile I can't trade, so if the market crashes from this huge bubble and my Doge are returned I'll be murdered. If it's not returned at all it's over $450 worth of Doge just gone. If its returned as Doge and the market doesn't crash, it will be better for me.

Who knows how long it will take to get support, if it ever comes. Hopefully soon with the halvening coming, and with how volatile the market is right now... I haven't held Doge for any time, just day traded, so normally my funds would be safely in BTC, except when I'm day trading.

:escape:

This is why I trade at bter now... Craptsy sucks for VTC deposits, what takes craptsy 10 hours to do, bter does in under 1.

I really hope they refund you at the very least I.M.O.G, that really sucks and can tarnish there already bad reputation.

Man..... :(

Man, that sucks... hope you get your money... I have 930 bucks lost in limbo myself thanks to MTSux

Oh this leaves a bad taste in my eye. That would just about cover a GTX 780!!

Aaand I won't be mining any time soon.

I wish you good luck, I really do.

Hate the hackers. (if that's the case)

That sucks man, hope it gets sorted.

I never like to leave any large amount of coin in exchanges. Heck I don't even like it when it's not in LTC/BTC, but sometimes you gotta hang on for a bit.

Just checked my Cryptsy account, everything is intact. I'm holding off on making any transactions for the moment.

I just withdrew my 0.028 BTC only to see that Blockchain.info is down for maintenance....

I hope this attacker doesn't mess up the main blockchain ledger. /scared

Definitely keep us updated, Matt. If you get screwed by market movements, or by just not getting your coins back at all, you ought to right a scathing review...

Yup, I'd like to write it up if its worthwhile, we'll see. The last time I contacted their support they sucked. I am unable to enable 2FA on my cryptsy account because I put in the wrong phone number when I set it up, so I couldn't activate it fully, but I also couldn't change the number... Support tried to advise, but they didn't grasp the problem so I just quit. It was also a glitch on their end, where I was half activated, but their system wouldn't let me start over and correct it either to get it fully activated.

Hopefully they are better this time as there is real money on the line.

Yup, I'd like to write it up if its worthwhile, we'll see. The last time I contacted their support they sucked. I am unable to enable 2FA on my cryptsy account because I put in the wrong phone number when I set it up, so I couldn't activate it fully, but I also couldn't change the number... Support tried to advise, but they didn't grasp the problem so I just quit. It was also a glitch on their end, where I was half activated, but their system wouldn't let me start over and correct it either to get it fully activated.

Hopefully they are better this time as there is real money on the line.

They better be, I'm quite happy doing business on other exchanges, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Get your sh*t together Craptsy, getting real tired of it.

Not much better than Cryptsy for alts though. And they have great Doge volume, so I probably wouldn't go anywhere even despite this issue.

I don't like holding money on exchanges due to the risks involved, but in this case, it was currency I was actively day trading and I was earning consistently in the process.

For what it's worth, I've made a lot trading, but I could have made way more if I just bought Doge and held... People always say that, and it's true, so long as the market doesn't crash. I have been trading so that I hold in BTC which is relatively safe, and I only buy into Doge when I see a trend I can profit on, then convert back to BTC until I'm ready to trade again. I feel this is safer than buying Doge and holding, but it means I miss out on a lot of the rises also. If I had just held Doge I'd have a lot more Doge than I currently have, but I'd also carry all the risk involved with holding Doge which I do not want. So I earn less than I could by holding based on market history, I have less Doge than I could have, but I'm consistently increasing BTC holdings faster than I could by mining alone... Actively trading rather than holding Doge is a trade off. Buying and holding is really profitable, but it assumes you will get out before it crashes, or it won't crash.

For the record, here is the contents of my support ticket so far:

Cryptsy: "Being Processed since last 2 hrs 45 mins"

Original ticket content (the note about transaction history shows the last trade cryptsy recorded, which is the purchase before I sold - I purchased at .00000287 which went fine, then later I tried to sell at .00000294 which is when my funds disappeared):
I input a sell order of Dogecoin/BTC at .00000294 for 254315.24059894. After doing this, all my funds disappeared. In my trading history, the last transaction recorded is as follows:

2014-02-11 20:44:08 Buy 0.00000287 254315.24059894 0.72988474

I cannot trade currently and I am stuck holding 254315 Dogecoin at .00000287... My sale at .00000294 Doge/BTC would have completed based on the order book, but it did not. Please refund me 254315.24059894 @ .00000294 or return the funds, whichever is more fair to ME when you fix this problem - this issue was caused by a site error... There is no withdraw, no open orders, no transaction history - all of my funds were there one minute and gone the next.

Thanks,
Matt Bidinger
440.***.****

After ticket was created, I replied to clarify more directly exactly what happened:
To clarify concisely, my funds disappeared after inputting a sell order. I input a sell order of 254315.24059894 Dogecoin for .00000294 and after submitting the order nothing showed up in order history, but also all my Dogecoin were gone. I was left with no BTC and no Dogecoin.

Checking transfers, withdrawals, transaction history, and open orders there is no trace of where my funds went - they are just gone, but all evidence in my history indicates I should still have the funds.

The order book also reports price rose to .00000295 within minutes after I placed this sell order at .00000294, which indicates my order would have filled and my account should have the equivalent BTC currently for 254315.24059894 Dogecoin sold @ .00000294.

I then replied again to clarify how I want it resolved (I don't think I'm asking too much - it was a clear error on their site, the evidence is all there as their site says I should have $400+ in my account that isn't there):
To clarify my desired remedy: Please return BTC in the equivalent of 254315.24059894 Dogecoin sold @ .00000294 BTC. (this was my sell order I submitted, that would have filled, and your site error made the coins disappear). Alternatively, please return 254315.24059894 Dogecoin to my account.

I would like the funds to be returned in whichever sum is greater at the time this ticket is addressed.

Last edited:
I updated the tickets this morning requesting a status. Just in case they respond to most recent/active tickets first instead of first come first serve.

Lets see how well they handle this.

The least they can do is refund you at the selling price like you said.

Dogecoin are back. Unfortunately worth less now than they were when I bought them, and even further less than when I triedbut thanks to the market, I'm not getting killed...

So the good part is they resolved this in about 12 hours. They deserve credit for that.

The bad part is, they also deserve credit for the bad part:
- They did not return the funds as I requested, which I feel was reasonable and supported by evidence, and I reported the problem in full detail immediately. They should have returned BTC, equivalent to my sale order that should have filled at .00000294 DGC/BTC. (this is trivial since market is currently at .00000285 and hovering there since my problem occurred, however if there was a crash overnight while my funds were in limbo, I could have lost hundreds of dollars in value by just getting Doge back. 50% loss by dropping to 140 satoshi wouldn't have been that shocking.)
- They did not communicate anything in the support ticket, but they are probably getting around to it. I just noticed the coins were back.
- I feel like they did something else wrong, but they probably didn't, and I'm saying this anyway because I have a negative bias from the experience.

That said, I'll still trade at cryptsy. I have over 100 trades there so far, and this was one VERY bad one, that didn't turn out too bad... Unfortunately, what saved me was luck, and a reasonable response time of 12 hours from Cryptsy. I wouldn't give them a customer service reward, but it beats Gox, and probably beats BTC-e for taking care of customers.

BTW, I checked Cryptsy's graph and at 22:30-22:44 the price hit a high of .00000296. All buy orders execute at the best possible price, so that means all sale orders for coin less than that price went through... And confirms that my sale order that cause this mess for me would have gone through, and I really should have gotten my BTC at .00000294. I haven't done the math on what the difference is for 250K coins at .00000010 Doge/BTC difference, but its probably only $10 or so. Still though, it bothers me because my sale last night would have been for a gain over my last buy, and currently I'm selling for a loss unless the market rises, but now the volatility has died down currently and I can't watch it constantly... So I'll probably just take the loss and get back out into bitcoin for now.

Last edited:
sadly that is so typical of cryptsy .. they've done this and missing deposits for days to me .. cant trust this place to daytrade or anything ..
right now mcxnow is where I trade maxcoin and I love their platform, I hope they will stay and add more coins

I should probably try another and I may look around a bit, its just hard for me to leave the volume at cryptsy. At the same time though, its no bueno having funds held for haly a day or days and not returned properly... About an hour after I got my coins back, dogecoin started tanking and its down about 20 satoshis since this morning. That's about 7% and its still going down.

Anyway, I think these types of issues are a testament to bitstamp and bitfinex in some way... Both have had big issues lately, and they've communicated clearly, taken ownership of the problems, and even gone above and beyond to make them right (Rafael at bitfinex was repaying people out of pocket for positions that didn't close when they should have due to a site error - basically the same thing I asked cryptsy to do, except it was a lot of people and a lot of money at bitfinex).

Unfortunately for alts, I kind of feel like one place is no better than another. At least Cryptsy is in the US, so that makes me feel better even if it isn't tangibly worth anything.

Back