• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cryptocurrency exchange news

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like I get to find a new exchange. Already going through the verification process at Cavirtex, though it seems like the bank account verification microtransactions aren't showing up. I'll give it a while.

This sucks. VoS was awesome.

Vault of Satoshi will be closing on February 5th, 2015. Although new deposits will no longer be accepted, rest assured, you will have plenty of time to finalize any trades and withdraw any outstanding funds with all of the convenience and expeditiousness that you’re used to. Please ensure that all of your withdrawal requests are submitted by February 5th.

We expect there will be some speculation as to why the Vault is going to be sealed forever, and we’d like to reassure the community that it has absolutely nothing to do with insolvency, stolen funds, or any other unfortunate scenario. To this day we are proud to have run the first full proof-of-reserve exchange in the industry, with strict compliance and security regimes. Our decision stems from opportunities presented by a new business that has forced us to reexamine our priorities.

Our founders and team of developers began work on a new, non-cryptocurrency project about 6 months ago, which has since become quite successful. We are forced to make a choice on where to expend our efforts, as we simply do not have time to continue operating both businesses. We feel splitting our focus would be a disservice to the customers of Vault, so although our competitors may lack some of the features, currencies, and innovations that Vault brought to the Canadian market, they will serve you well for your basic exchange needs.

We are still true-believers, and think Satoshi Nakamoto has set in course something that will change the world for the better. Thank you loyal Vault customers for joining us on one of the most exciting adventures of our time! There’s no doubt that this is just the beginning, and we will continue to watch from the sidelines as history unfolds, with Bitcoin becoming more understood, accepted, and appreciated every day.

Sincerely,
The Vault of Satoshi Team

And apparently bitstamp may have been hacked.

BITSTAMP SERVICE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED

We have reason to believe that one of Bitstamp’s operational wallets was compromised on January 4th, 2015.

As a security precaution against compromises Bitstamp only maintains a small fraction of customer bitcoins in online systems. Bitstamp maintains more than enough offline reserves to cover the compromised bitcoins.

IN THE MEANTIME, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE DEPOSITS TO PREVIOUSLY ISSUED BITCOIN DEPOSIT ADDRESSES. THEY CANNOT BE HONORED!

Customer deposits made prior to January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves. Deposits made to newly issued addresses provided after January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC can be honored.

Bitstamp takes our security and soundness very seriously. In an excess of caution, we are suspending service as we continue to investigate. We will return to service and amend our security measures as appropriate.

Bitstamp Team

Looks like I get to find a new exchange. Already going through the verification process at Cavirtex, though it seems like the bank account verification microtransactions aren't showing up. I'll give it a while.

This sucks. VoS was awesome.

Takes about a day to see them Wolf.
At least, it did for me anyway :)

Bitstamp hacked?
Great. :(

Back