• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

February Q&A: Roger Ver, Bitcoin Jesus, Answers your questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Isn't the IRS getting into these virtual money sites' business?

I'd sure hate to have to register my SSN and get 1099s at the end of the year to pay income taxes. Right now I'm with Lyoness.com rewards and we get 1099s on all our rewards/kickbacks from the merchants we buy from. Once these bitcoins are convertible to real money, the GOV will extract their tax for sure.

Ya, I'd like to know his opinion on Mt.Gox.

Obviously someone related to Gox is going to make a bunch of money buying BTC at such low rates there. Something smells fishy about Gox... Since they seem to blame Bitcoin itself for all it's issues....

Silver reminded me of something.. the other day while playing BF4 on a Doge sponsored server (true story, Much kills, Many captures etc) The subject of what is doge/crypto came up.. I tried while tntd to explain as best i could, and another player started piping in about crypto currency's intended use being for black market and elicit use. I assume this opinion was brought about by the silk road fiasco. Which doesn't seem to be an uncommon uninformed opinion. How would main stream "acceptance" affect values?

Secondly.. My cousin is a branch manager for KeyBank and we were discussing crypto currency.. She said "Banks will never accept crypto currency as being a valid option" Tone of voice suggested "we don't acknowledge it, it doesn't exist". Is asking the banking as an industry to accept and or endorse crypto currency as legitimate like asking an oil and gas company to back a legislative bill requiring all vehicles to be electric powered in XX years?

1379360796162.jpg

I haven't sent any payments yet, school has been burying me. I will post back here to let you all know to expect the BTC.

I haven't compiled the questions for the interview yet, but I hope to get them soon. I finished the group project paper that had been sucking up all my time the last week, so hopefully I can get to this soon... Just gotta get finished with work today, get some sleep, study for test tomorrow, then I'm kind of in the clear a bit more and should have some bandwidth to do what I want to.

Assuming you're still taking questions ...

Where does he see the hardware side of cryptocurrency going? It started on CPUs, then compute-talented GPUs, now ASICs are really starting to come to be. Does he think the barrier-to-entry hardware-wise and the increasing difficulty in mining will make it increasingly difficult for a home hobbyist to take part in this in a meaningful (profitable) way?

Last edited:
i heard that wells fargo is looking in to using bitcoins they want to be the first bank to be involved i dont know when or how they plan to do this but from my understanding they are going to do it i also saw/read somewhere that BTC will be making its way to wallstreet dont ask me how that would even come close to working but it does sound like a good idea if your still asking ?'s heres mine can/will btc be added to the wall street stock exchange????? heres my btc addy if you want to use that ? 1ALExtRmZBKgcSFsW576zetSW6phADUkJf and also if any one wants to send some to me just becuz they need a good deed for the day LOL

The problem here is that the IRS has shrewdly decidedly to treat BTC as property rather than as a currency. This largely eliminates any chance BTC had of widespead acceptance as a currency and makes it an investment vehicle instead. People will acquire it to hold it, not to use it. Unfortunately, I don't see much demand for owning BTC if nobody's going to spend it like a currency.

Back