• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hammer time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Simple... No fanboyism here.

4770K or 9370?

I was going with the AMD CPU but then I did a build with the 4770K and came out ten bucks cheaper...

My thinking is just save ten bucks but I do heavy multitasking.

Buying in the next hour.

am3+ is end of life.
many 8350's we are seeing now are as good as and better than 9xxx, 8350 cost less.

if your not crunching really large numbers the heat of 8 core fx is not worth it.

Last edited:
I think that would be correct.
at high clocks we are seeing some big wattage at the wall socket.

I have both the 8350 and 4770k I find the AMD more fun to oc if that's the intention, otherwise the 4770k will outperform the 8350/9370 in most instances.

Yep what he said^^
The 8 cores are good workhorses too

The 4770k is a great chip no doubt, I'm sure you'll like it. Just be prepared for the heat, I was surprised how hot they run when you start stepping on them.

Well you're still going to be surprised, I hooked mine up my benching water loop, which consists of 4 gallons of distilled and antifreeze mixed, a 700 gph pump and my radiator hanging outside my window when it was 30f outside. With the water temps at 6c I was still running in the mid to high 70's trying to get a 4.5 2 hour prime blend OC. Though my chip is a hot one, compared to another forum user his runs about 12-15c cooler then mine at higher voltages. That said it's still a heck of a chip.

Well you're still going to be surprised, I hooked mine up my benching water loop, which consists of 4 gallons of distilled and antifreeze mixed, a 700 gph pump and my radiator hanging outside my window when it was 30f outside. With the water temps at 6c I was still running in the mid to high 70's trying to get a 4.5 2 hour prime blend OC. Though my chip is a hot one, compared to another forum user his runs about 12-15c cooler then mine at higher voltages. That said it's still a heck of a chip.

Dynamic OC or a straight OC?

Dynamic meaning using the motherboard overclocking tool? If so no, I do it all manually, bump the multi/BClk and add voltage to stabilize.

Dynamic meaning using the motherboard overclocking tool? If so no, I do it all manually, bump the multi/BClk and add voltage to stabilize.

Dynamic meaning adjusting the offsets by hand in BIOS, adjusting the base Multi and the turbo multipliers while allowing the CPU to clock down when there is no load.

Common sense is a good thing, I've switched teams a few times over the years depending on what's out there.

:thup::thup::thup:

Yeah but I really want to support AMD here. I thought about the A series but that is just not enough computing power.

The FX series has plenty of power but sucks too much power. Honestly my lappy has plenty of power but the upgrade options are not there.

Dynamic meaning adjusting the offsets by hand in BIOS, adjusting the base Multi and the turbo multipliers while allowing the CPU to clock down when there is no load.
Yes, what I'll normally do is find my point of stability on Manual voltage then when I find it I'll set it using the Offset voltage and also allowing the cpu to downclock when not under heavy usage.

The FX series has plenty of power but sucks too much power.
How true indeed! I did a extreme test a few months age running Prime with the Cpu at 5.2+ and Heaven on my GTX 580 overclocked as well. 827 watts drawn from the wall, with a gold rated PSU. Sick!

Yes, what I'll normally do is find my point of stability on Manual voltage then when I find it I'll set it using the Offset voltage and also allowing the cpu to downclock when not under heavy usage.

How true indeed! I did a extreme test a few months age running Prime with the Cpu at 5.2+ and Heaven on my GTX 580 overclocked as well. 827 watts drawn from the wall, with a gold rated PSU. Sick!

And the Intel build was cheaper. Talk about backward.

Back