• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazon Sales Tax

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you sure that it was actually Amazon selling those orders, or some 3rd party based in Washington state? Also, I've noticed that they charge sales tax on digital downloads (Connecticut at least, and it's only like 1%). Could that be it?

oh, it could have been third party vendors, cant say that i really recall.
sucks when i get charged tax on those though, cause then i pay washington state tax, and then when im coming back from my PO box, through the border, i then get nailed with sales tax(both federal and provincial), and duty!

They been charging NY taxes for a while now and I'm also a prime member, I feel your pain ATMINSIDE.

Ah, yes I miss the days when amazon didn't charge tax in NY :cry:

I get a lot of my computer parts from newegg because of it.
That said I still have my amazon prime and buy quite a bit from them as hands down they have the customer service I have ever dealt with!

Ah, yes I miss the days when amazon didn't charge tax in NY :cry:

I get a lot of my computer parts from newegg because of it.
That said I still have my amazon prime and buy quite a bit from them as hands down they have the customer service I have ever dealt with!

I still get quite a bit of non-computer related bits from them, but they lost that portion of my business with the sales tax since there are plenty of places that don't charge.

I know in Wisconsin they started sales taxes recently. I know they are building 2 very large distribution centers right here too, but they won't be up and running til the end of this year. Sadly we are taxed now because of it.

Sad about the whole thing, but happy that at least 1000+ people will be getting jobs. Will I still buy from them even though I'm being taxed? Yes most likley since they have great shipping (probably even better since its most likely be local) and great return policies.

I know in Wisconsin they started sales taxes recently. I know they are building 2 very large distribution centers right here too, but they won't be up and running til the end of this year. Sadly we are taxed now because of it.

Sad about the whole thing, but happy that at least 1000+ people will be getting jobs. Will I still buy from them even though I'm being taxed? Yes most likley since they have great shipping (probably even better since its most likely be local) and great return policies.

How far away? You might be one of the first taken when their drones gain sentience :chair:

I recently ordered something from Amazon and didn't have to pay NC sales tax... :shrug:

You guys realize that you're still supposed to report purchases for which you did not pay sales tax on your state tax returns, right (assuming your state charges sales tax)?

Yes... hehe.

Az was one of the first states this was enacted for. The good thing is that they only charge state tax, which is still less than I'd pay at a register at my local supermarket (and I can be a hermit and never leave the house....). I'm with you ATM, I buy *everything* on Amazon. Last year I placed over 165 orders ;)

I was bummed when they started hitting me with tax, but the convenience of 2-day shipping, zero hassle returns, and a massive inventory has kept me purchasing from them. Granted, I still shop them when I'm looking for something of significant value (your case, for example) and purchase where the best deal is available.

Az was one of the first states this was enacted for. The good thing is that they only charge state tax, which is still less than I'd pay at a register at my local supermarket (and I can be a hermit and never leave the house....). I'm with you ATM, I buy *everything* on Amazon. Last year I placed over 165 orders ;)

I was bummed when they started hitting me with tax, but the convenience of 2-day shipping, zero hassle returns, and a massive inventory has kept me purchasing from them. Granted, I still shop them when I'm looking for something of significant value (your case, for example) and purchase where the best deal is available.

Oh, I definitely didn't drop them. I got the Hadron Air off of Amazon.

Its just cut down on some of the smaller purchases (deodorant, toothpaste, vitamins, etc) because its just easier for me to grab stuff like that when I go get groceries since the price is roughly equaled out now.

Just this year I've already run 12 orders with Amazon.

Being in Tennessee I am taxed whether I shop at NewEgg or Amazon... So I prefer Amazon's better customer service over NewEgg when it comes down to it.

I am now getting hit with this, and i do not even live in the Area.

Florida is now getting taxed and we use a shipping company that ships out of Doral, FL to Costa Rica and today i did an $1,800 order and got hit with $100 in taxes....

ok so I have to ask...
is the tax with online sales the same rate as you guys sales tax for going out and buying things?

the reason I ask is because theres no sales tax here, just one hefty state income tax and quite a bit of gas tax

ok so I have to ask...
is the tax with online sales the same rate as you guys sales tax for going out and buying things?

the reason I ask is because theres no sales tax here, just one hefty state income tax and quite a bit of gas tax

I'd have to look, but its not enough higher or lower that I calculated it.

AFAIK it's based on your state tax rate. A rough estimate of my orders seems to show that.

You have to look at your state's use tax rate. North Carolina, as an example, has a state wide sales tax of $4.75 (although local municipalities can and do charge more; google says the median rate is $6.75), but here's an excerpt about their consumer use tax:

The use tax is calculated at the same rate as the sales tax. For January 1, 2013 through March 31, 2013, the rate was 7.25% in Mecklenburg County, 7%
in Alexander, Buncombe, Cabarrus, Catawba, Cumberland, Duplin, Durham, Halifax, Haywood, Hertford, Lee, Martin, Montgomery, New Hanover, Onslow,
Orange, Pitt, Randolph, Robeson, Rowan, Sampson, Surry and Wilkes Counties, and 6.75% in all other counties. For April 1, 2013 through December 31,
2013, the rate was 7.5% in Durham and Orange Counties, 7.25% in Mecklenburg County, 7% in Alexander, Buncombe, Cabarrus, Catawba, Cumberland,
Duplin, Edgecombe, Greene, Halifax, Haywood, Hertford, Lee, Martin, Montgomery, New Hanover, Onslow, Pitt, Randolph, Robeson, Rowan, Sampson,
Surry and Wilkes Counties, and 6.75% in all other counties. If you paid another state’s sales or use tax that was legally due on out-of-state purchases, that
amount may be credited against the North Carolina use tax due. You may not claim a credit for sales tax or value-added tax paid to another country.

In some cases it may be like NC and calculated at the same rate as sales tax, but in some cases it may be higher or lower.

In your case, Oregon does not have a general sales tax (or a use/transaction tax).

It stinks for me as i use a shipping company to ship things out to me, so i am paying taxes simply because it is going "through" Miami.

Back