• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazon Sales Tax

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Well, my Amazon business will be falling off. Just cancelled my Air 540 order from them because they started charging NC sales tax...

I used them for everything, even have Prime.

They been charging NY taxes for a while now and I'm also a prime member, I feel your pain ATMINSIDE.

They been charging NY taxes for a while now and I'm also a prime member, I feel your pain ATMINSIDE.

They just started this month for NC. I won't be re-upping my Prime because I can't get nearly as good of a deal now.
Tax was going to be ~$10.50 for the Air 540.

Yep... Same boat here i bought from Egg to avoid the tax from Amazon, something tells me it's not going to be to long before there is no escape from it :/

Yep... Same boat here i bought from Egg to avoid the tax from Amazon, something tells me it's not going to be to long before there is no escape from it :/

Yep, I have no issues buying from Newegg at all, they've been nothing but good to me, but I went to them (with longer shipping) to avoid paying the extra ten bucks.
I'll probably get Newegg Premiere sometime when I'm getting a big order :rolleyes:
It'll cover a decent amount of the stuff I buy, but NOWHERE near all of it.

I mean, I bought toothpaste, deodorant, allergy medicine, coffee, really everything with Amazon because of Prime.

Yeah, I rarely buy anything from Tiger Direct because of taxes in FL here from them, but bit the bullet and got the new 280X when the Egg was out of em a few months back and paid 30 bucks in taxes for 360 total.

Kinda glad I did now that the prices have soared on em.

Someday the Government will probably catch up and start taxing everything online.

:rolleyes:

Well, my Amazon business will be falling off. Just cancelled my Air 540 order from them because they started charging NC sales tax...

I used them for everything, even have Prime.

I have no problem with Amazon collecting tax for the states in which they have a business presence. Newegg has been doing that since at least 2000 in my state so there really is no advantage to using them over Amazon.

Amazon, however, has better customer support options and generally doesn't give me any hassles, unlike Newegg, so Amazon will continue to get my business.

I have no problem with Amazon collecting tax for the states in which they have a business presence. Newegg has been doing that since at least 2000 in my state so there really is no advantage to using them over Amazon.
Exactly, this is a state by state thing.

I have no issues with them collecting tax if they have a warehouse or business office in the state, but as far as I know they do not have one in NC.

You guys realize that you're still supposed to report purchases for which you did not pay sales tax on your state tax returns, right (assuming your state charges sales tax)?

There is a bill stuck in the House trying to enact it at all states: Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013

NC is interesting because it is a state where Amazon does not have a physical presence in, but still charges state tax.

Which is why I made this thread. Its the first case I've heard of like this.

You guys realize that you're still supposed to report purchases for which you did not pay sales tax on your state tax returns, right (assuming your state charges sales tax)?

Yes, I do.

In Tennessee we have no yearly state income tax. They call these purchases through amazon a "use tax", and the state tax representative has already stated they do not care about any purchases prior to 2014 so I'm not worried about it. This is a good thing because I'm pretty sure I spent about $25k on Amazon in 2013, lol.

i've had amazon ship orders to washington state before where there was no tax charged, and orders that were made days/hours earlier where they were charged tax.
has seemed kind of random.

i've had amazon ship orders to washington state before where there was no tax charged, and orders that were made days/hours earlier where they were charged tax.
has seemed kind of random.

Are you sure that it was actually Amazon selling those orders, or some 3rd party based in Washington state? Also, I've noticed that they charge sales tax on digital downloads (Connecticut at least, and it's only like 1%). Could that be it?

Back