• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 7970 waterblock non-reference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Notice? If thats all you care about you are in for trouble.

If the block doesnt sit right, then you want have contact between the GPU and the cooler, that will then kill you 7970 within seconds if it has no cooling.

You are welcome to ask a question in Swedish, and see If it's that easy to explain yourself ;)
To clarify my question.

How do i know if the block doesn't fit properly except the temps ofc. Would it be a gap of 1mm or 1cm?

Its about the placement of the components on the PCB.

The Reference cards, are mass produced, making it a good target for waterblock makers, but the Non-Reference cards, are made by the Producer only, in this case XFX, this means, that XFX makes a series of cards with a non-ref card, where they have changed the design and placement of components on the PCB.

The change of these few components, means that the waterblock made for reference cards, will not fit.

Reference 7970
AMD-Radeon-7970-3GB-PCB_14929.jpg
Non Reference 7970 (XFX)
XFX-Radeon-HD-7970-1000M-Black-Edition-Dual-Fan-3GB-GDDR5-(FX-797A-TDBC)---NEW-REVISION.jpg

The areas i have circled are the areas of change, that will mean that a Refence block will not fit.

Jebediah, you need to also be aware that some vendors have policies that state once you open a water cooling component, there's no returns. You need to be 100% certain the cooler will fit on your card *before* you order it. No reason to risk it. Either contact EKWB or remove the air cooler from your card to verify visually.

I was in the same position when I recently did my water loop. I knew going in that the water block wasn't going to fit my card, so I chose to mill the block to make it fit. It's another option if you're dead set on going full cover (although pricey and or risky).

Jebediah, you need to also be aware that some vendors have policies that state once you open a water cooling component, there's no returns. You need to be 100% certain the cooler will fit on your card *before* you order it. No reason to risk it. Either contact EKWB or remove the air cooler from your card to verify visually.

I was in the same position when I recently did my water loop. I knew going in that the water block wasn't going to fit my card, so I chose to mill the block to make it fit. It's another option if you're dead set on going full cover (although pricey and or risky).

Yes i know. XFX does not allow the customers to remove the cooler, not in EU anyway. But that's already done since i've change the paste and pads :) Also, one of my fans is making some funny noises and it's even hard to turn it with your fingers, so a aftermarket cooler or WC is needed.

Money is no problems :) Just the knowledge.

Anyway. I got hold of two picture on the backside of the PCB. One "old "reference and one non/new-reference.

My card looks exactly as the old refrence. Some of the soldering on the new reference differs, so i'll take the chance and place my order.

The 109 boards are actually a reference board. Just not the standard reference board.

XFX used those boards in the 7970 and 7950 TDBC cards. Typically the higher clocked DD BE models.

Swiftech and one other company(forgot who) makes a block for those cards.

Just FYI: Most of the more restrictive warranties are handled on a case-by-case basis. Most companies will stand behind their product if they feel that the failure was not caused by you and you are within warranty period...they mostly just reserve the right to not warranty the card if you break it.

Just FYI: Most of the more restrictive warranties are handled on a case-by-case basis. Most companies will stand behind their product if they feel that the failure was not caused by you and you are within warranty period...they mostly just reserve the right to not warranty the card if you break it.

Different rules in Sweden mate :)

But if you're buying it outside of sweden, not sure if their rules applies to someone else if you bypass them if you will.

Btw, throw an egg at Dice's HQs for me pls. Thx :p

But if you're buying it outside of sweden, not sure if their rules applies to someone else if you bypass them if you will.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Have not decided where to buy yet, but either local or within EU. Can't buy from the States since the tax, toll and shipping would be more then just the block :)

Btw, throw an egg at Dice's HQs for me pls. Thx :p

Yes sir, can do. If you do the same at EA's HQ :D
No, but i "know"/play with some of the devs, and they are doing a great job. Alot of "behind scene" coding. But in the end almost all the decision are made by EA.

Yes sir, can do. If you do the same at EA's HQ :D

:rofl:

No, but i "know"/play with some of the devs, and they are doing a great job. Alot of "behind scene" coding. But in the end almost all the decision are made by EA.

Well you let them know I need their tags and disappointed the way the game was released filled with bugs. Also, doesn't DICE sign a contract to EA's timeline. I mean they could have gone with another game designer. EA is just a publisher. Sign here pls, deadline date ***** :blah::blah: Looks like DICE wasn't ready for prime time. I believe that's how it works.

Back