• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Water Cooled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can recommend EK Supermacy. It it very good block for FX CPU. Just mind that some people have had problems with the nickel plated ones. Package contains everything needed for mounting but instructions suck :D
Thanks Waza, I've read many reviews about nickel plating & am probably going to stay away from them.

Well for me I hate those flimsy metal ears that will not take the tension of the way I tighten my cpu down under the water block. I think I have and C_D also have built heavier mounting arrangements to hold the water block down. Know I have. The Raystorms with those thick acrylic hold-downs work good out of the box. Others with just cutdown metal ears for the hold-down screws and springs to work with are too flimsy for my purposes.
RGone...

Well for me I hate those flimsy metal ears that will not take the tension of the way I tighten my cpu down under the water block. I think I have and C_D also have built heavier mounting arrangements to hold the water block down. Know I have. The Raystorms with those thick acrylic hold-downs work good out of the box. Others with just cutdown metal ears for the hold-down screws and springs to work with are too flimsy for my purposes.
RGone...
Thanks for the info RGone.
Dan

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/03/22/i7-3930k-cpu-swiftech-apogee-hd/2/

Martin usually has good comments about the mounting systems used.

The Apogee HD doesn't let you overtighten, its made to tighten equally and consistently every time.
Thanks, Do you happen to know if the AMD mount is the same as the Intel? It seems when looking at the different blocks that some times the mounts for AMD & Intel are different.

This is a comment from the Swiftech site about the Apogee HD
•An elegant Multi-mount hold-down plate provides compatibility with all AMD Desktop processors: sockets 754, 939, 940, AM2, AM3, 770, F, FM1, as well as legacy Intel Server socket 771 processors. The kit is not included with the Apogee HD, but supplied for free (shipping not included), upon request
Dan

Thanks, Do you happen to know if the AMD mount is the same as the Intel? It seems when looking at the different blocks that some times the mounts for AMD & Intel are different.

This is a comment from the Swiftech site about the Apogee HD
•An elegant Multi-mount hold-down plate provides compatibility with all AMD Desktop processors: sockets 754, 939, 940, AM2, AM3, 770, F, FM1, as well as legacy Intel Server socket 771 processors. The kit is not included with the Apogee HD, but supplied for free (shipping not included), upon request
Dan

If you buy from PerformancePCs (Black, White) then just pick "Add AMD Mount Kit" at the bottom of the description.

I'm with MTD and RGone a good solid mount is important. The Koolance 380 is a solid chunk of steel and so is the backplate, with a thick silicone backer. I liked it so much I bought the 380i for my 4770k.

I'm with MTD and RGone a good solid mount is important. The Koolance 380 is a solid chunk of steel and so is the backplate, with a thick silicone backer. I liked it so much I bought the 380i for my 4770k.
Hi Johan, I'm with you on that also. I looked at the 380A & it did look impressive. How is the 380i working for you? I think I'm debating between the 380A & the xspc raystorm. The raystorm looks to have a solid mounting also.

The radiator is cleaned & installed. The fans checked out. I hope to decide on a CPU waterblock this week.

Attachments

• DSCF0074.JPG
    DSCF0074.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0073.JPG
    DSCF0073.JPG
    514.2 KB · Views: 73
Hi Johan, I'm with you on that also. I looked at the 380A & it did look impressive. How is the 380i working for you? I think I'm debating between the 380A & the xspc raystorm. The raystorm looks to have a solid mounting also.

The 380i is doing exactly what I expected, very well. That looks great so far Dan :thup:

Hi, I'm going to have to put the project on hold for a couple of weeks, something came up on the home front that needs to be attended to. I did get the cpu waterblock installed. I went over to Performance PCs & talked to a tech there. I asked him about the Koolance 380A & the Raystorm. He said that they see them both pretty much the same in performance & with the Raystorm 30$ cheaper I decided to get it. It will do for now as my first water build. Can always upgrade if it doesn't seem too good.
Dan

Good morning, I'm back to building & I have the loop completed. Have been doing a leak test for a few hrs. & all is good (no leaks). LOTS of bubbles! I've been reading through all the post on removing the bubbles & it seems that the no. one idea is to lean the case in all directions to dislodge the bubbles. I've been doing that but it hasn't made that much of a difference. Does anyone have an idea that has worked for them in the past?
Thanks Dan

Attachments

• DSCF0075.JPG
    DSCF0075.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0077.JPG
    DSCF0077.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 47
Crank the pump to its highest speed...
Hi EarthDog, Yes I have the green & black wires shorted together on the power connector which gives me full volts to the pump & it is running all-out. The problem here is that it seems there is so much turbulence in the reservoir that it is creating bubbles. I was thinking about putting the rest of the components in so I could boot to bios & turn the pump down to see if that would help. What do you think?

Back