• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Missing UI Elements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Katsury

Hey guys,

New to the forum but I've been fixing issues for years. Guess it was only a matter of time until I ran into an issue that I can't quite figure out.

I've done all the generic fixings: (Re-installed Graphics Driver, DXDiag, Defaulted settings, Defaulted the system, etc. etc.)

Now I thought at first it had something to do with UAC controls since I am a stickler when it comes to security (paranoia I guess?). Since the only seemingly common link between the softwares that have missing elements are ones that require UAC elevation. Turned off UAC, defaulted my security settings for a test, rebooted the system after making these changes, nothing. Still missing elements.

I'm literally out of ideas and I've been using Google-Fu for the past week, hunting through forums with a long list of tried key phrases that I just can't seem to find a single solution that works. So I guess it's time to just put it out there and see what bites.

I've attached a couple images to show what I mean from a common software inspection program called 'Secunia PSI'. Hopefully this clarifies what I mean. There are other softwares that display these similar results but not ALL of them do it. Windows apps are pretty safe, most of my games work fine without this sort of glitch. I just can't seem to figure it out. Hopefully you guys can.

Attachments

• Secunia_Broken.gif
    Secunia_Broken.gif
    74.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Secunia_Proper.jpg
    Secunia_Proper.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 47
Please list out your full system specs. Are you overclocked at all? Have you tested stability (if so, how?)?

Has the system been wiped or is this an old install? When did the issues start?

Ah yes, the system background info. Forgot about that. Well for one it's a higher-end laptop so the stats are going to by abysmal.

Specs:

*OS: Windows 7 Professional (6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601)

*Manufacturer: ASUS

*Model: G73JH

*Processor: Intel Core i7 Q720 @ 1.6 Ghz

*RAM: 6GB (Not sure what Freq)

*GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series (NOT OC'd)

*GPU RAM: 1GB (GDDR5 I believe???)

*GPU Driver Ver: 13.251-131206a-166094C-ATI

As far as when these problems started occurring. Didn't really notice them until after I wiped the system clean after ~3 years of consistent use. I figured it was time to start over. About 2-3 weeks in (I work for a living) after I had everything restored and configured the way I wanted; is when I started realizing the fact that stuff wasn't loading properly in some softwares. Like I said this isn't ALL software. Just ones that seem to require UAC escalation due to the security settings I configured. Even then not ALL of the UAC escalated software does this. Also when I backed those settings back to default and rebooted the system, nothing changes. Also tried re-installing the softwares that are effected and that did nothing. I'm seriously lost on this one. I'm just about ready to wipe the computer and start from scratch again to see if that fixes it.

Honestly, I'm at a loss as well. If it is only programs that require elevation, that is certainly strange. I can say I've never heard of that issue nor seen it myself, but it isn't normal behavior.

Someone else may have input, but if you need it to work soon, a reinstall may be a good idea.

A-HA! Figured it out. So I decided to take the plunge and traced back every piece of data on the display drivers and removed them by hand. That included registry entries and all. Rebooted the system and got the OMG-image-explosion sized stuff until I grabbed a CD I made ~3-4 years ago with all the driver versions from that point in time. Installed those drivers, grabbed new ones from AMD/ATI website, and it now seems to have fixed the issue. Don't know why re-installing the straight up drivers didn't fix it in the first place but I guess it's just one of those "Ghost in the machine" picking on me sort of deals.

Odd issue for sure, but I'm glad that you got it all figured out. :thup:

Back