• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Memory issue: Ways to get past it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrmagoo1077

So I just picked this comp up cheap from someone looking to upgrade. The ram is currently reading at 1066mhz (Cpu-z) when it's rated for 1600mhz. Im looking into overclocking my system to get some more performance out of it. But as far as Ram goes I would be happy with the rated 1600mhz speed. I am a beginner, but am willing to learn and do not expect to be spoon fed. I have successfully OC'd my GFX cards by 7.3% reliably and don't want to push them any further due to temp (benchmark 78'C max).
System Specs:
2x2gb 1600mhz ddr3 RAM, it is running at 1066mhz in dual channel
Core i7-860 CPU
P7P55D-E Deluxe motherboard
X2 SLI Geforce GTS 250 GFX cards.

I only resort to posting on forums when ive gotten over my head. Dug through the MoBo manuel and looked at CPU specs and ive found that:
CPU: Supports 1066/1333mhz memory sticks. Is this really a hard line, or is there way I can get past this with OC'ing? Ive found mixed information looking through forums on this. Even 1333 would be an improvement over the 1066 I am getting.

Mobo: (Excerpt from manuel) Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMS and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only.
So, if my limited understanding is correct this means that to get 1600 mhz or higher I need to give up dual channel? Is there a way around this?

I would be happy with 1600mhz ram frequency and ~3.2ghz processor speed, neither of which sound outrageous.

Edit: Ok so i found my Ram model: It's patriot 1600EL series. Looked it up in the manuel for the Mobo and it had two options for it ( 7 7 7 20 1.45v for 1066mhz and 9 9 9 24 1.8v for 1600mhz). I have set the clock to 9 9 9 24 and the voltage to 1.8v and CPU-z is still rating it at 1066mhz speed. Any thoughts?

Edit: Found the problem- after setting the clocks according to the manual there was a separate BIOS setting that limited the Ram to 1066mhz. Turned that off and now it's running 1600mhz :D

Last edited:
Back