• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASIC Quality in GPU-Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
So it tunrs out GPU-Z has an "ASIC Quality" test in it.

Here lemme show you:

ASIC1.png

And here is my ASIC reading on my 270x:
ASIC2.PNG

NOTE!: 6xxx series and lower are not supported!
I'm curious as to whether the higher ASIC quality = better hashrates.

Like say an XFX gets 420Kh, but a Sapphire gets 450Kh on the same clocks.

Perhaps everyone can test this and we can see if that is a good indication of hashrate at all! :)

GPU-Z link

No, ASICS quality only impacts required GPU voltage for stability. Higher = lower default voltage.

2 different manufacturers of the same type of card not hashing at the same speed has to do with their BIOS memory timings.

XFX is pure garbage for mining and in general, they are almost always slower.

depends which card you're talking about.

my XFX 7950 did ~660kh/s before any major BIOS tweaks.
after the stilt modded BIOS, was able to get ~690kh/s which is A LOT better than a lot of other "non-XFX" 7950's

and my 270x does a respectable 440kh/s which is on par with other 270/270x's

they arent all garbage

If there is no relationship between ASIC quality and hashrates then, this tool can be useful for seeing how many volts your card might need (ball park figure ;) )and how efficient your card can be. :cool:

Yes and no. I would get your actual load voltage from MSI AB or any tool that reports it. Knowing the ASIC quality really has little benefits for mining since you already own the card and the voltage is set already out of the box. Now, if the ASIC quality was printed on the box and you know you are getting a lower voltage sample, it would help otherwise, it is what it is and knowing the ASIC is just superfluous information.

Would it not be helpful on multi GPU platforms to explain why identical cards require different voltages to be stable at certain speeds?

Sure, but it doesn't take knowing the ASIC quality to know that. Every GPU, like CPUs are different and will have different stock voltages.

Yes and no. I would get your actual load voltage from MSI AB or any tool that reports it. Knowing the ASIC quality really has little benefits for mining since you already own the card and the voltage is set already out of the box. Now, if the ASIC quality was printed on the box and you know you are getting a lower voltage sample, it would help otherwise, it is what it is and knowing the ASIC is just superfluous information.
Ballpark I said ;)
Seems rather useless to me...

Well, I also made this post so others can have their say on its use.

Perhaps there will be a good use for the ASIC rating one day, but for now I agree, it is rather useless info.

It still begs the question: Why is it included in GPU-Z anyway?

I saw what you said, I disagree with using it in that manner is all, LOL! I mean you cant know the ASIC until you plug it in and look.... alternatively, you can plug it in and load up GPUz and see the actual voltage anyway. Superfluous all around (IMO) when you can get a more accurate value out of MSI AB/GPUz. To each their own of course.

Well, I also made this post so others can have their say on its use.

Perhaps there will be a good use for the ASIC rating one day, but for now I agree, it is rather useless info.

It still begs the question: Why is it included in GPU-Z anyway?
That is what we are doing, giving our opinion on something you asked about! :p

Why? To give one an idea of the card is good for ambient or extreme overclocking...it says how to interpret it right in your screenshot... and of course, there are plenty of exceptions to that to which many have questioned its point in the first place.

Last edited:
No, ASICS quality only impacts required GPU voltage for stability. Higher = lower default voltage.

2 different manufacturers of the same type of card not hashing at the same speed has to do with their BIOS memory timings.

afaik this

however that should help too since you know how low can you go ;) then again you will prolly know that by trying anyway :)

I saw what you said, I disagree with using it in that manner is all, LOL! I mean you cant know the ASIC until you plug it in and look.... alternatively, you can plug it in and load up GPUz and see the actual voltage anyway. Superfluous all around (IMO) when you can get a more accurate value out of MSI AB/GPUz. To each their own of course.

Ohhhh. I thought you missed that :chair: :facepalm:

I find it sort of useful to tune new cards, it gives me an idea of what voltage range I should be shooting for and saves a little (very little) bit of time.

higher ASIC = higher clock without overvoltage ( higher hash rate after OC keeping low voltage and temps )

After browsing various results I see that hash rate is changing on AMD depends from card what is not related to ASIC or brand.
On Nvidia every card that I saw was keeping about the same hash rate no matter what ASIC score it had. I have 2x GTX780 and both have the same hash rate ( one has ~65% and the other ~90% ASIC ).
I have no idea why but AMD cards have different results even if you use the same scrypts on the same model with the same bios etc. Example can be my R9 270X DC2. When I use exactly the same model, the same bios and the same scrypts as other R9 270X DC2 users then my results are different ( also many other results around the web are +/- 100 kh/s on similar cards and clocks ).

Luck of the draw really... my first XFX 290X was hashing at 860khash without modifying. My replacement however couldn't reach 600khash, with the stilt bios its now hashing at 920 khash.

Back