• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temps in Aida64, looking for a couple translations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TunedUp

I realize these will be basic questions to most of you, this is my first overclock. I was building a PC anyway and thought I'd play with this a little to do some learning.

Anyway, here's my basics:
Intel i4770k
Noctua ND-14 Cooler
Asrock Killer87 mobo
8mb GSkill Sniper RAM
MSI 7950 OC Video card

I followed the overclocking Haswell guide and first tried the 1.2v and 4.6 setting. Booted to my log in screen then crashed.

Then I booted it up with 1.25v (fixed) Vcore and 4.6 multiplier and ran AIDA64 for about a half hour before it crashed. Temps averaged about 80c, but spiked over 90 a few times. I was looking around in the F-Stream utility and found something that looked different from the guides, there's something called Vcore Voltage Additional Offset that was set to .080 by default. I checked the system info, and my Vcore was showing 1.33 volts which is obviously too hot for my cooler.

So I backed that to zero and tried a more conservative approach at 1.25v Vcore and 44 multiplier and it would crash in AIDA64 after 5 minutes or so (with temps in the mid 60c range). So am I on the right path here or do I need to back it down even more? And what does the Vcore VOltage Additional Offset do exactly?

:welcome:

If you have set your board to run with manual vcore setting then I would think that the BIOS "vcore additional offset" setting would apply only to the offset vcore setting? At any rate setting it back down to zero should prevent the board from adding any additional vcore.

You seem to be on the right track by lowering multi at 1.25v and trying to find stability with 44x... Try lowering to 43x and see if will run AIDA stress with out crashing?

You could also set vcore under manual at 1.20v and start with 40x and work your multi up... Finding out just how high a multi your chip will run stable at the 1.20v setting and then bump vcore to 1.225v and zero in the multi for that setting.

Thanks for the welcome!

When I get time to tinker with it again, I'll give the 43x a try and see how it goes. On a related note, I'd like to get a basic understanding of how the Vcore and multiplier affect the way the system runs. I haven't read this anywhere, so this may be way off, but I'm throwing it out there to see if I'm on the right track.

I'm assuming the higher you raise the multiplier, the more it tests the "worth" of your chip, as to whether or not it runs without crashing?

And by adding Vcore voltage, it increases the stability at the expense of creating more heat?

TunedUp,

Welcome to the forum.
To answer the question about voltage as you increase the speed of the processor either through the multiplier straps or bclk you need to increase the voltage to stabilize it at those speeds if need be. This will also increase the heat produced.

As far as what your doing the guide that you found in this forum is pretty good for finding out how good of a chip you have. All chips are just a silicon lottery when it comes to overclocking, you never know how far or well it will oc. You seem to have a chip like the 4770k I have and that it is considered a high leakage chip. Which will require more voltage for X overclock and run hotter then a person who has a low leakage chip. The reality is every chip is different, what works for mine may not work for yours. That's why tinkering on your own will be beneficial for you to learn what works for your setup. I can say that my chip can do 4.4 with 1.23 Cpu Voltage which I set manually and it was done on a good Air heatsink. My temps in Aida 64 stay below 90c like that. Though like I said finding out by testing yours is the best way to do it.

Thanks for the confirmation Mandrake, sounds like I'll keep chipping away.

Hoping I got a decent chip, I'm a little skeptical thought since the 4.6 was apparently running at 1.32v Vcore and its crashing at 1.25 at 44x, but we'll see.

Thanks for the confirmation Mandrake, sounds like I'll keep chipping away.

Hoping I got a decent chip, I'm a little skeptical thought since the 4.6 was apparently running at 1.32v Vcore and its crashing at 1.25 at 44x, but we'll see.

Decent chip is what it's used for, If you're just looking for a good stable OC then from what you posted you should be able to do at least 4.4 without issue. If you're looking to really push it and put it on really good cooling it may do some good overclocks but you'll need really good cooling. The I7 Haswells run hot, some hotter then others, it's just the nature of the overclocking beast.

Back