• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Audio hardware good enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminatez

I ordered a Sager NP8275-S with Sound Blaster Compabitble 3D Audio.
Is this strong enough to power and produce good sound to good headphones or so I need an amp?

I'm not sure on that specific card, but do they show the output wattage?

What headphones are you driving? I'm guessing if the cans are high resistance, it may have an issue.

I only know enough about these topics to be dangerous, so don't assume I'm correct. :)

Just try it. High impedance is actually easier to drive - just think of what you use on a crystal radio.

I can't find any information on the aduio card for the laptop... :(
I have a pair of senheisers or w.e.. like 280$ i think

If you have both, might as well try it out when it arrives. :shrug:

Sennheisers that are below like the HD600's should be just fine. i think that the 600's or 650's have a higher impedence. I have the hd598's at 50 ohms (i think) and my cell phone has sufficient power to run them, so you'll likely be fine. only reason why you may want some sort of external solution is to avoid picking up interference from the other parts of the computer.

Ultimately tho, it really depends on what you want out of your sound and how much you want to spend.

You might be able to drive the headphones volume but the DAC in the laptop WILL be crap. You need to spend at least $200 on a DAC/Amp to get the most out of your headphones potential.

Back