• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sim Racing Game Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I always thought iracing was waaaay too slippery for what it was supposed to be. Seemed like oval racing worked better on it's physics engine and road racing was just ice racing pretty much. I think live for speed is a much more solid game in terms of physics and the likes but it doesn't have the more formal racing setup that iracing does.

I'm very much looking forward to project cars, even if I probably won't dig out my old wheel for it. Really wish I could play it now....

I think good arcade racers have really gotten the shaft over the last 5 years or so. Everything is either pseudo-realistic (NFS, any codemasters game), focuses on aspects other than driving (GTA, mario kart), or just really sucks (The new ridge racer split second ripoff, split second). Old arcade racers had fun physics that still required concentration and skill to drive really fast, even if it wasn't realistic.

You know why you think iRacing is way too slippery? Almost every other game has too much grip.

There's a LOT of technique involved, believe it or not.

I would have to agree with that. Look at your speeds in sim and go out on the highway and slam on the brakes and then abruptly turn left or right, you will either understeer or immediately spin out! I find when people try out my racing sim they forget what speed and weight transfer does to a car and drive it like a video game and continually crash into walls saying the "game" is rubbish.

It's a sim and it handles it's duties very well , once a driver grasps the speeds they are doing and the fine line between spinning and making the corner they will do well.

Steam has Assetto Corsa on sale for $26.65 right now. Well worth the money.

I would say its worth the ~$27.

It plays more like a very well refined Forza to me. The physics are semi-realistic (too much grip, but not nearly as bad as Forza, GT, etc).
Nice selection of cars already, it should have some serious replay value when they get the AI nailed down.

You do need to set up your car with med or hard compound tires. The default softs are way too grippy.

The AI is pretty good but does need some work when they are bunched up.

No gran turismo huh? That was my favorite racing sim.

Couple nights ago I tried out a friends Asetto Corsa... I didn't really care for it to much. Everything felt very heavy and full of friction.

I love Asetto Corsa, it feels solid and can't wait for full release so I can try career, it has issues with the X 360 controller though, you have to crank the degree to actually be able to turn a corner with the controller and then there's no deadzone.

I have looked at the Driving Force GT wheel and the Fanatic Ferrari wheel before. With the Driving Force GT wheel you can buy custom made paddles to fit on the back of the wheel but they're so expensive that you end up paying the price of a G27 after the wheel + paddles mod, and then you can buy the stick shifter separately- again G27 probably has a better value.

Tekno, I haven't seen a Fanatec Ferrari wheel. Do you mean Porsche?
If so, the CSR that I have linked in my roundup is way better value than the Porsche wheel.

No gran turismo huh? That was my favorite racing sim.

I donno about the later ones but the last GT I played was GT4 and it sure as hell wasn't a driving sim at all. Very unrealistic physics. I do love the car selection and all of that though, an the graphics are usually pretty good, excluding all of that standard car nonsense.

It's the real car collector simulator.

You know why you think iRacing is way too slippery? Almost every other game has too much grip.

There's a LOT of technique involved, believe it or not.

I understand that, but I also don't think spec miatas should be so gosh darn twitchy. I'll never believe that game has anywhere near a realistic level of grip until I drive a miata around a track IRL, and even then I'd still be surprised.

I donno about the later ones but the last GT I played was GT4 and it sure as hell wasn't a driving sim at all. Very unrealistic physics. I do love the car selection and all of that though, an the graphics are usually pretty good, excluding all of that standard car nonsense.

It's the real car collector simulator.

I understand that, but I also don't think spec miatas should be so gosh darn twitchy. I'll never believe that game has anywhere near a realistic level of grip until I drive a miata around a track IRL, and even then I'd still be surprised.

Bingo. Both Forza and GT are arcade racers, not sims.

Bingo. Both Forza and GT are arcade racers, not sims.

I hesitate to call them arcade racers because I believe that term is reserved for games like ridge racer, but it's certainly not a sim either.

F1 2013 is free for the weekend on steam. How do I get my fanatec CSR to stay on this table? Back when I used to use it I had to use a piece of wood with holes for the bolts and bolt the wheel on to it, and then clamp that on to my table with C clamps. I don't have the wood or the clamps around at the moment...

I hesitate to call them arcade racers because I believe that term is reserved for games like ridge racer, but it's certainly not a sim either.

F1 2013 is free for the weekend on steam. How do I get my fanatec CSR to stay on this table? Back when I used to use it I had to use a piece of wood with holes for the bolts and bolt the wheel on to it, and then clamp that on to my table with C clamps. I don't have the wood or the clamps around at the moment...

Do you not have the built in clamp?

Yeah, and it sucks.
Put it on the table and tighten the clamp down as much as you can. Remove it from the table and click it down another notch. Doing that made it really clamp to the desk.

Put it on the table and tighten the clamp down as much as you can. Remove it from the table and click it down another notch. Doing that made it really clamp to the desk.

Bingo! It still tilts a bit but it's a heck of a lot better. Thanks a bundle! :thup:

You know, I bet I did Thid's suggestion accidentally and didn't realize it when I first set up my stuff.

When I clamped it on, I finished tightening with the wheel off the desk and it moved the clamp in just a tad.

Glad that helped you Kona!
Mine tilts some if I put straight downward pressure on it, but I try to avoid side-loading things like that anyway.

Yeah, I'm also using a big folding table so I've got a metal beam running across the bottom just far enough in that the clamp will slide up, but the little flappy bits don't have room to be used. I found a way to rig it up with those flappy bits essentially clamped onto the beam though. The problem with the movement it has is that's the kind of pressure you put on it when you just rest your arms on the wheel. It's a bit annoying but I can always go get a slab of wood and some clamps and run a bolted setup again if it becomes an issue. I think I've got more problems with my whole desk wobbling right now...

Also gave F1 2013 a quick run. I wouldn't call it a sim, but it should be a bunch of fun, especially the classic stuff. I think I'll probably give LFS another go after this weekend as well.

Yeah, I'm also using a big folding table so I've got a metal beam running across the bottom just far enough in that the clamp will slide up, but the little flappy bits don't have room to be used. I found a way to rig it up with those flappy bits essentially clamped onto the beam though. The problem with the movement it has is that's the kind of pressure you put on it when you just rest your arms on the wheel. It's a bit annoying but I can always go get a slab of wood and some clamps and run a bolted setup again if it becomes an issue. I think I've got more problems with my whole desk wobbling right now...

Also gave F1 2013 a quick run. I wouldn't call it a sim, but it should be a bunch of fun, especially the classic stuff. I think I'll probably give LFS another go after this weekend as well.

Yeah, F1 2013 isn't a full sim, but its way closer than 90% of racing games.

I've had the Classic pack for a while. Those 80s cars are my absolute favorites.

Last edited:
Back