• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sim Racing Game Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is going to start at the cheapest and work its way up. I'll toss in recommendations, compatibility, and other information along the way.

Logitech Driving Force GT - $150
- Wheel is nice.
- Only a two-pedal setup, with a potentiometer brake.
- Shifter is only sequential. No paddles, but it has shifter "buttons".

This is my "bare-minimum" wheel. It gets the job done with good force feedback, but the pedal and shifting setup is passable at best.

Compatible with the PS2, PS3, and PC.

Logitech G27 Racing Wheel - $300
- Wheel is really nice, great feedback, good quality.
- Three-pedal setup, which is great. Plastic construction, potentiomenter brake.
- Shifter is only H-Pattern, with six forward gears and one reverse gear. Also has paddles.

This is a pretty go-to wheel in the sim racing community. There are some good mods, which I will get in to in a second, and Logitech has great quality as always.
My only issue with these is the pedal construction and the potentiometer brake. One of which can be remedied.

Compatible with the PS3 and PC.

G27 Mods:
- Bodnar Cable.
This lets you use your G25/27 pedals as a standalone device, if you get a new wheel or just want better precision.
- G25/27 Load Cell Brake.
This is a direct replacement for the potentiometer brake that comes with the setup. The benefit here is that the brake will feel almost identical to that of a real car.

Fanatec CSR Wheel Value Pack - $360
- Wheel is of great quality, best force feedback on the list.
- Three pedal setup. Pedals are of much better construction (mostly aluminum), and already have a load cell brake.
- One H-pattern and one Sequential shifter. H-pattern has six forward gears and one reverse gear. Also has paddles.

As far as a combo for a starter, it doesn't get any better. The quality is there, it has some frills, but not enough to really jack up the price (some wheels go fro $2k+).
Force feedback is very strong, it'll make you sore after long stints, but you get used to it. The shifter mounting system could use some work, but that's really the only weak point of this combo.

Compatible with the 360, PS3, and PC.

CSR Mods:
- Pedal Inversion Kit.
Allows the pedals to be suspension mounted (top mount instead of bottom)
- Table Clamp V2.
For those who want a more solid mount. Also stiffens the shifter mount considerably.

Thrustmaster T500 RS - $600
- Wheel is very nice, strong feedback.
- Three pedal setup. Can be floor or suspension mounted (bottom or top mount)
- No shifter, but it has huge paddles.

Pretty expensive for someone getting into sim racing. For those who have been around a while, love it, and don't mind spending the extra cash, this can be a very nice setup.
This rotates to 1080° instead of the 900° that most wheels are capable of. The brake isn't a load cell, but it has a "Realistic Brake" installed from Thrustmaster.

Compatible with the PS3 and PC.

T500 RS Mods:
- TH8 RS Shifter.
This adds ~$150 to the price, but it is an H-pattern and sequential shifter in one. Seven forward gears, one reverse gear.

That's all for now, most other setups cost way more than these and wouldn't be meant for a starter (or even a desk, usually).

Bad link for the Logitech G27. Correct one here: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/g27-racing-wheel

Bad link for the Logitech Driving Force GT. Correct one here: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/driving-force-gt

Bad link for the Logitech G27. Correct one here: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/g27-racing-wheel

Bad link for the Logitech Driving Force GT. Correct one here: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/driving-force-gt

I linked to the product page ages ago when the post was written.

The G27 and DFGT are both discontinued at this point and replaced by the G920 and G29.
I've been told both the G920 and G29 are a large improvement over both the G27 and DFGT, especially in the pedal department.

Is there a Logitech wheel that does not have force feed back for windows 10?

Unless something has changed you can simply cut off the force feedback in the driver/software and/or the game.

Not sure why you wouldn't want force feedback though...

Hey I was thinking of getting a G27 later this year to go with my VR HMD, I'm in no rush though, The G27 seems to be going for 250ish since the G29 is replacing it and maybe I can get an old one used for less later on, but this is the first time I hear of this Fanatec CSR Wheel Value Pack, is that a better route then? Or should I really save up for a G29? I probably wont use it much?

Hey I was thinking of getting a G27 later this year to go with my VR HMD, I'm in no rush though, The G27 seems to be going for 250ish since the G29 is replacing it and maybe I can get an old one used for less later on, but this is the first time I hear of this Fanatec CSR Wheel Value Pack, is that a better route then? Or should I really save up for a G29? I probably wont use it much?

I believe Fanatec has discontinued their more budget minded wheels, but if you can get a CSR with the Elite pedals then go for it.
If you're not going to use it much, and just want something decent, the G27 should do very well for you.

I linked to the product page ages ago when the post was written.

The G27 and DFGT are both discontinued at this point and replaced by the G920 and G29.
I've been told both the G920 and G29 are a large improvement over both the G27 and DFGT, especially in the pedal department.

The G920 brake pedal is ridiculously hard to press down. You literally have to partially stand and force it down to use it. A friend just bought one and brought it over for me to try out. Other than that which I've seen some vids of some users modifying it to soften it up, it was a great wheel. I've never used a G27 to compare it too, but I would have no problem picking one up for a new racer or veteran.

I put a much heavier spring in my G27 brake pedal because it was too easy to lock up the brakes getting into the corners at tracks like New Hampshire (where you use a lot of brake) in iRacing. Granted I don't use a G27 wheel as I have an older Thrustmaster F430 and a Bodnar cable.

Back